Expedition / Navigator

Stuck CD cartridge in Expi!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck CD cartridge in Expi!!!

Hi,
I may not be posting in exactly the right area, but maybe one of you guys can give me a hand. My sister has a '98 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the Mach stereo system with the changer in the console. The cartridge is jammed; it appears one of the CD's is at least partly loaded. The display on the head unit reads "NO CD" when you try to play it, but the eject button on the changer has no effect, either. How can the cartridge be removed? I can't even tell how the changer itself can be removed from the console. I didn't know the console actually totally enclosed it on all sides. She doesn't want to take it to a dealer and pay the $75+ per hour labor for them to fix it. She could probably buy a used changer for what it'll cost just to get the cartridge out, but even then I wouldn't know how to do the swap. Plus, she'd like to have the 6 CD's back that are jammed in the changer. If anybody could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

Old 09-21-2002, 11:36 PM
I'm not completely sure on this, but I think that to get the cartridge out you have to remove the entire head unit. To do this I believe you need a special tool that can be found at the dealership. Once again, I can't be too sure about that. There may be some other way to get them out

Old 09-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Vinnie,
Thanks for the response. What I'm looking for is the way to actually get the changer out of the console. I think the special tools you are referring to are the ones used to get the head unit out of the dash. I made my own one time out of an old coat hanger (2 "U"s). The console looks like it's actually molded around the changer; there's no part of the changer exposed except for where you insert the cartridge. In my Explorer the changer isn't enclosed and doesn't look too hard to remove. Also, I saw in the Classifieds an ad for a complete head unit and changer system from a Lightning for $100. The price sounds good, but with the Expedition having the Mach system, would that L system work. Or, what makes the Mach different than a standard setup? Is it actually in the head unit itself, or is it the external amps and extra speakers/subs? Anyway, thanks again for the reply, and if anybody else has had this happen to them, please let me know what to do. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-23-2002, 09:25 AM
Well, here's what I know about this.

First, I don't have any good suggestions for getting the cartridge out of the changer. I would imagine it would require the changer being disassembled to get it out. Probably what happened is one of the cd's/cartridge cd holders got jammed half way out. I've seen that happen with changers before.

Second, I have taken the console in my 99 Expi apart to a point. If you lift the lid on the console and remove the screws holding the lid on that will uncover the screws holding the back of the console on. There are clips holding the rest of the back. In the tray of the console, remove the rubber "plate" in the bottom and there is another screw under there. I believe these are all "star" screws. I forget what the real term is for these. Once you get those pieces off I belive you can see where the rest of it is held together, but you're on your own from there. Maybe someone else has taken the rest of the console apart in an expi to fill in the gaps here.

Third, My wife's 02 SuperCrew has the exact same changer in it. I believe all the ford vehicles from at least 97 to 02 have used the same changer unit. I'm not 100% on that, but most likely that Lightning changer is the exact same changer. I personally would try taking the one changer apart and see if it will work after getting unjammed if that's the problem.

Last, use the search button for the forums here and see if there is any more information on this. I've seen several people that have taken the stock system out and put in an aftermarket setup. There might be some details there on how to get the rest of the console apart, etc.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Same thing happened to me awhile back. As above you need to remove the changer, then take the cover off the changer. It's not that big of a deal. With patience it might take a half hour or so. Just remember, don't force it.

Quick Reply: Stuck CD cartridge in Expi!!!