Expedition / Navigator

2000' Lincoln 'Gator' Pros vs Cons

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000' Lincoln 'Gator' Pros vs Cons

Hi Guys, Its time for me to get something to haul the whole family around in. I'm looking at a 2000 Navigator and I was wondering what the pros and cons were. Input from those that got em' would help alot. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2002, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Solid truck. The Navigator has a stronger engine than the Expy (4 valve 5.4)

Only thing I would worry about is possibly insurance.

Quality would be no different than an Expy of F150.

Old 09-22-2002, 12:22 PM
"Stronger engine than the Expy"? Hmm, only if you're using the term "strong" to describe HP, would that be true. The 32v Intech that is "available" in the Navigator (and I have to say I rarely see one without it) does make more HP (300 peak HP vs. 260 HP peak) up higher obviously (32v's of course) but that's the difference. The bottom end etc. is the same (unless I'm terribly mistaken) unlike for example, the 5.4 in the Lightning which does have a beefed up bottom end. If the one you found has the 2 valve standard 5.4, it's just as strong, just doesn't make as much HP. Keep in mind the Nav. weighs about 500 lb's more than an Expy as well but then again, torque numbers between the 2 are about identical.

If it's been cared for and in good shape, it's a solid truck!

Last edited by FamilyRide; 09-22-2002 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the reassurance guys. The one I'm considering is rated at 300hp and I think 335torque.

Old 09-23-2002, 01:09 AM
The navigator has been a great truck so far, and like FamilyRide said, it has more HP than the Expy, but its Transmission is the same.

I am replacing my Tranny right now because it went out, but we are assuming it was the previous owner because he did not take the BEST care of it. I was also KIND of hard on the Tranny.

Anyways, it rides great, about 14 Mpg if you have exhaust & maybe intake... mine got 11.7 mpg without exhuast and intake. Its steering is nice because it is really 'easy' when going slow, and stiffens up as you speed up. I have the 235 HP version in a 98 and it is PLENTY powerful (but never powerful enough for me ) . Despite that, i still havnen't lost to any suv so its is plenty powerful. It looks great, slightly better then the Expy, unless the expy has some exterior mods.. NO OFFENSE TO ANY EXPY Owners. Overall its a Great truck, and if its out of the price range, the Expedition is JUST AS NICE as it is, just looks a little different.

Well good luck and please let us know what you decide!!!

-Jon
(PhAtNaV)

Old 09-23-2002, 09:29 PM
The 2000 Navis are nice. It's true they share the majority of components with the Expy, but as far as looks go, the Navi wins hands down . The 32 valve 5.4 litre is a good engine and puts out good horsepower. It is definetly a nice family vehicle.

Old 09-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Well said!!

:-)

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2002, 11:12 PM
btw, Navi Man,

When I got my rims and had the alignment done, they said they had to replace a bolt somewhere for the front 2 Wheels to align to factory specs. They said without the bolt, they couldn't adjust it at all, but they could get it CLOSE to factory specs.. I just told them to do it right, as I did with the transmission when I had it replaced... I picked it up today from the transmission shop.

anyways, the alignment was 220!!!!!... Wowzers.. ... And the Transmission, well... I am taking a picture of the receit (sp?) and posting it so check for that tommorrw.. it was about 2400!!! .. and I am down ALOT OF $$.. .

The main problems that got me were the :
Torque Converter, Syllinoid (SP??), and 900 labor.. That all alone was about 1800....

So the point of this post... Was to ask you something.

As It says on my Sig.. I will be getting the lowering kit during Christmas. However, I was wondering if I could lower it the same way you did, AND do the lowering kit?? I thought maybe it might not be possible with my Air bag suspension system?

Maybe I can only go 1 1/2 lower so that is why they made the kit like that? IF not, I could put the kit on ( 1 1/2) + (2 " ) your way,,, The Torsion bar and bumpstops..??

What do ya think?

Thanks!
Jon

Old 09-23-2002, 11:55 PM
Wow! That's a lot of money for the alignement. I paid $109.00 including the alignement kit (which includes the bolt and washers).

As for lowering. Just back the torsion bolt almost all the way out. You will see the torsion key lower almost all the way to the crossmember. Make sure you trim the bumpstops. The rear is just a matter of sliding the adjuster bolt down. Bad thing is, you will then need another alignement. I would just go back to the shop in a few days and say that it seems to ride funny and to have them check the alignement. This way if they have to adjust anything, it will be on them.

Sorry to hear about the tranny. They can get expensive.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:07 AM
So do you think that I would be able to back the torsion bolt almost all they way out, and slide the adjuster bolt down, and THEN add the lowering kit? Or would it be best for one or the other?

If it were made, I'd buy a kit for a 3" and 4" back drop, but they don't.

thanks again,
Jon

P.S.- When it gets closer to the time I want to do this suspension, would you be able to kind of "walk me through it" ... and explain where the Adjuster bolt, torsion bolt ect is?

Old 09-24-2002, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Are there any major differences between the different year Navigators 1998-2001?

Old 09-24-2002, 10:11 PM
Not MAJOR differences.. but here's a basic run down.

1998, 2 V, 230 HP engine.. Round Running Boards, Grey bumper trim.

1999, 4 V, 260 HP Engine... Straight Running Boards, Color match Bumper Trim.

2000, 4v, 300 HP engine, Striaght Boards, color Match.. ect.... Digital odometer, adjustable pedals

2001, 4v, 300HP engine, Striaght Boards, Color Match, digitial odometer, Adjustable pedals, slightly Different A/C controls on inside/ Cup holders..

I think I hit on most of the HIGH spots.... Possibly other minor changes... Not for sure.. those are the main ones I look for..

Good luck!

Jon

Old 09-24-2002, 11:28 PM
Great info. Thanks alot. Now I know that if the deal doesn't happen on this one I definately need to look for a 2000 - 02. I need them 300 horses. Tanks agin.

Old 09-25-2002, 12:22 AM
NP,

I enjoy helping with any advice that involves a Navigator, although I am a little upset with mine for letting her Tranny go out!!!!

I forgave her recently though, after my Toyota 4 Runner Kill !

Definetally go for the 300HP.. I haven't faced an SUV yet that has beat me, or a truck for that matter... BESIDES the 2002 Chevy Dualie that blew me and my friends F150 AWAY all the way home down the highway...

But as far as Suv's go, the 300HP can beat MOST of them... I am not sure about the Escalade yet though.

And if you end up supercharging it.. Wow.. 400Hp's for that baby... Sweet!

Lata's
Jd

Old 09-25-2002, 07:16 PM
I believe the early 99's were the 2V 260HP, pre January 99, after January 1,99 they got the 4V 300HP. You may want to consider also that in the 4V 300HP version you will not be able to run 87 octane. May make no differance to you, but just so you know.

Quick Reply: 2000' Lincoln 'Gator' Pros vs Cons