Expedition / Navigator

99 expedition overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 expedition overdrive

Hello folks,

I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a 99 Expedition that i purchased last November. I never needed the overdrive turned off for any reason until now. I bought a travel trailer and tried to turn the overdrive off... and guess what... nothing happened....... no light.. and it still went into overdrive. I tested the button with power and the light came on. I then tested the plug and no power.. so i started seaching for the problem... and found the connection under the dash unhooked... after hooking it up i now have power to the plug....... i pushed the button into the socket and the light still will not come on. My next guess is that the switch is bad and needs replaced. I guess my question is : has anyone else had this type of problem before.... and I am now wondering WHY the conectors under the dash was disconected... wonder if they had problems before....
Please, if anyone has any input let me know... i am taking the switch to a Ford dealer tomorrow to have them test it...

Thanks in advance for reading

Old 10-02-2002, 06:43 PM
I have a 99 and I haven't had that problem but please let us know what the dealer say's.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Two possibilities come to mind:

1. A short in the o/d switch or wiring "cured" by unplugging the wiring.

2. The o/d light also serves as a "check transmission" light when flashing. Perhaps the light was flashing at trade-in time and was unplugged to conceal a problem.

Quick Reply: 99 expedition overdrive