Expedition / Navigator

Headlights Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlights Upgrade

I currently have 55W halogen factory bulbs. I want to install a pair of 6,000K 100W bulbs. Will they brun my wire harness even though they say the lights are cooler than the factory lights? It's a big jump in wattage.

Old 11-27-2002, 02:12 AM
well on my NAV, which i think has similar wiring harnesses to the Expy, I had installed 2 different sets of Hyper white lights, with the same wattage.

The first set was Plasma Industries, and they were great until winter came, and something to do with the cold and moisture, cuased my driver side socket to melt and the harness needed replaced. So i bought a different pair, after getting warranty on those, and the same thing happened right when winter started... Sooo.. I take out the hyper white/blues during the winter, and put in my factory bulbs, but during the summer they are back in and fine.

I saw an Expedition that had hyper white headlights and i could tell they weren't HID, just the imitation like mine, and his front driver light was all dimmed, brownish, while the other one glowed the bright white/blue bulb...... SOOOOO,,, I think the Ford harnesses are poorly built, and I wouldn't suggest running Higher wattage without upgrading BIGTIME, the quality of the harness and socket especially, even if that is possible.

Just my 2 cents worth from past experiences BOTH times with Both sets of my lights. Good luck hope that helped... btw, it just seemed to get TOO hot I think.

C ya,
JD

Old 11-27-2002, 07:49 AM
the cooler lamp will only help the socket. The higher current draw of the new lamp is what will affect the wiring harness. I would replace the harness.

Old 11-29-2002, 10:57 AM
Why don't you just get some Sylvania SilverStar bulbs? I treid several aftermarket bulbs and found that these are by far the best $ value going. Also, most of the others are cheap, don't last and will fry you wire harrness, all the while putting out poor light!

Old 11-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Well, after my incident last night, I would recommend to stay stock with your bulbs to everyone! My friend actually has an F150, and the bulbs that burnt out my sockets worked fine on his truck.. BUT... about my incident.

I turned on my foglights and nothing worked, so when Igot home, i checked, and the metal plates on both foglights had melted off and a fuse was blown.... So, I'm buying 2 new foglamps, becuase mine won't hold the bulbs anymore.. GREAT!!

Just a fore-warning..

JD

Old 11-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Before you spend $$$ on new foglamp assemblies, take a look at PIAA's foglamp kit for '99-'03 F-150's. Includes a new valance and is set up for up to four auxilary lights.

Old 11-29-2002, 08:17 PM
Do they have a specific application for a Lincoln Navigator or what? IF I take out the old lamp, what new lamp will look the best in the whole that is there?

thanks,
JD

Quick Reply: Headlights Upgrade