Expedition / Navigator

Excessive Brake Dust on 03

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive Brake Dust on 03

Is it just me?

Being an Expedition owner, I pay close attention to the 2003's since they will be carrying on the name of the Expy. At first, I thought there were just some negligent owners out there, not even taking the time to clean their >$30,000 investment, but- as I see more & more Expy's, I'm seeing more & more of them with completely black front wheels. Black from the brake dust, that is...

I haven't seen an American car with this problem before... BMW's, yes, American cars, no.... I guess Ford must be using a different type of disc/pad. My wheels never looked that bad on my Expy, my SCrew, or my 99 Flare-SCab.

I see this a lot, so I'm wondering if this is a Texas issue, or if others of you are seeing the same thing.

I just rented a 2003 about 4 hours ago- and it's spotless, with 14000 miles on it! If the wheels are pitch black in a day or two, I'll let you know...

Old 11-27-2002, 11:08 PM
I have an '03 and the brake dust on the front wheels is very obvious. It's pretty hard to clean too. It has 4000 miles on it and I'm hoping it stops after some wear.

Old 11-28-2002, 08:39 AM
yes, i have noticed this also, it is sad that a major car company like Ford puts out a product (such an expensive one at that) that dusts up its wheels like the new Expys. That is why I went with ceramic pads, NO DUST, it is great!

Old 11-29-2002, 11:08 AM
On my 03 Nav I noticed the same thing - every week at a minimum I take a wet rag & clean the front wheels by hand.

Spraying a wheel cleaner does not get the rim completely clean. The back wheels don't require as much attention.

No problem when the weather is warm but a pain in cold weather.

Old 11-30-2002, 09:36 AM
Wheel cleaner

I've always kept my vehicles clean. With the 03, the rest of the truck would be clean, but the front wheels would have dust buildup after only a couple of days. I tried several different kinds of wheel cleaners which I could just spray on and hose off until the next time I washed the truck. Finally found one which worked on all wheel types but wont harm the finish like most wheel acids like detailers use. Hydroflouric acid is very caustic and can cause serious hand and wheel damage but does get brake dust off. Back in the early 90's I had a detail shop in the DC area, a friend of mine got wheel acid under his fingernails and had to go the ER - I wont bore you with the gory details, but I stay away from it to this day. Try Westley's Wheel Cleaner - made by Bleche White and is in a dark gray bottle. Just spray on cool wheels, let sit for a couple of minutes and spray off. Worked great on mine - if you go more than about 4 days, you will need to go ahead and just wash the wheel as the cleaners I've found which are safe to use will not cut through a heavy buildup.

Old 11-30-2002, 10:51 AM
Anyone know what kind of pads they are using that cause such a dust problem. I sure don't see it on my 99, some brake dust but not excessive.

Old 12-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately, I have this same problem on my '03. I haven't been overly thrilled with the level of quality so far. I don't have any major complaints, but I've got some moisture on the interior of the tail lights as well as a broken arm rest on the rear captains chair (had it fixed). Also, it seems like a lot of the body is a little flimsy since its plastic.

Old 12-01-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by VinniePSVT
I've got some moisture on the interior of the tail lights
check out this thread

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=97903

Old 12-02-2002, 06:26 AM
Yea. I saw that when it was first posted, but didn't have the problem until about 2 weeks ago

Old 12-02-2002, 09:58 AM
the brake dust sucks !!!!!!!!!! i have 12000 miles on mine
and im going to change pads and see what happens

Old 12-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Everyone on the other Expy related sites with 03's are also complaining about the dust. Concur with the ceramics. Spent the extra bucks and have been very happy with minimal dust and their performance ( Raybestos "Quiet Stop's).

Keith

Old 12-02-2002, 09:39 PM
03 5-Day trip

Accumulated some, but not enough dust to blacken the wheels.

This one had 14400 when I picked it up, It has 15700 now.

Maybe it's bad for the first year or so, then gets better on stock pads????

Old 12-09-2002, 01:49 AM
I have the same problem with my 350Z, G35, and 03' Expy. They all build up dust BIGTIME on the front. You wanna know the quick way to clean em up? Just go buy some Simple Green, spray it on the wheels and power wash it off...simple...no rubbing, nada...works great on all the vehicles!

Old 12-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Blake,

Doesn't the Simple Green destroy the clear coating?

Old 12-09-2002, 10:09 PM
Unhappy

Brake dust-- The worst i have ever seen on a ford vehicle,, i tell the wife to try and stay off the brakes but thats very small prob. we have with ours.. Get this- had rail dust or black spots under the clear,, told them to repaint hood , they didn't, took it back and told them, (after i took em by the hand) and showed them fords great paint job on Horizontal surfaces, and they ground off just about all the clear coat i had plus scratched and scuffed up fenders, because they did NOT take hood off!!!!!! Now hood looks like my 95 taurus swirl marks GALORE!! Bastards Greg,,,

Quick Reply: Excessive Brake Dust on 03