Expedition / Navigator

Excessive Body Roll

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Excessive Body Roll

I have a 98 2wd 5.4 expy with rear load leveling suspension.(69000) miles. I replaced the stock 255/70R16s about 3 months ago with LT265/75r16 BFG's Radial Long trails.

I don't know if this problem has to do with the tires or not. But, I have the tires inflated to the max psi af 65lbs. each. So, I don't think the tires are the problem.

When I corner, change lanes, or any ubrupt movement of the steering will, it feels like I am driving a '75 Cadillac. The thing just wants roll. It really feels like driving a one or two flat tires.

I was wondering about the rear load leveling suspension. I can hear the compressor under the hood pump and the rear does rise. It also seems like the pump runs alot. Almost every time I stop at a light or park, I can hear the pump kick in.

Could it be possible that one or both of the airbags are leaking and not properly supporting the rear or am I just way off here? Obviously I've checked the switch under the dash on the passenger side, I've turned it off and on to make sure that was ok.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to check here before I go crawling under the truck to see if I can find a problem. Is there I way I can check the PSI on each air bag???

Mastercraft

Old 12-06-2002, 03:50 PM
I guess the first question is, did it do that with the shorter tires? If not, it wouldn't make too much sense but if that's the only change.....

If it did, I'd look at the shocks, especaily at 69k miles.

Old 12-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Shocks??

It seemed like when I first got the new tires, it was fine. It has progressively gotten worse. The truck doesn't tend to bounce up and down though? Hummm. I'm gonna get underneith and look this weekend, But I'm here in NC where we just had all that ice and our power was off for 24 hours and then it came back on, I hope it stays on...

Old 12-09-2002, 07:48 AM
Tires

Well, I can't find anything wrong with the suspension. Could it possibly be these tires? Who else out there have BFG Long trail LT265/75r16's on a 2wd Expy?

How well does your truck handle with these tires? I am beggining to believe that these tires handle this bad...

Old 12-09-2002, 11:59 AM
I've got 4weel load leveling on my gator and the compressor only comes on for about 30 seconds after start. I think you got a leak somewhere...Smithj

Old 12-09-2002, 11:06 PM
Why are you running such a high psi? Try airing the tires down to the recommend pressure.

Overinflated tires will respond quicker to steering inputs. Your suspension may not be able to keep up with this.

Good luck.

I agree that the high miles on the shocks may also be part if not all of the problem.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2002, 09:16 PM
Agree with Tuchy, sounds like your tires are way overinflated. You should only use "max" pressure if you are towing heavy loads.

Quick Reply: Excessive Body Roll