Expedition / Navigator

Should I take these Tires back?? 265/70's

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I take these Tires back?? 265/70's

Hey I just got back my EB Expedition from the Ford dealer and let them put on the replacement tires from Continental for the recall that has been going on. They put on the cheaper "optional tire size" 265/70-17's instead of the original 275/60-17's. They appear to be as not as wide of tire. Plus if you go to the tirerack.com and look these up the Contitrac original equipment size tires, 275/60's, are more expensive. Should I press this dealer to take these off and put on 60 series tires like it had when it was new or just live with it?

Old 12-11-2002, 07:54 PM
I would! It would have been best if you had spoke with them before hand as to what tire they would be replacing the old recall contis but you have the option of upgrading and making up the differance yourself

Old 12-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Yes I do blaim myself a little because I had heard of them putting on these higher profile tires and did not make sure they would put on the original equipment tire size of 275/60. But I think it is kind of crap that they do this. I called the dealer and they said they can only put on what Continental sends them. They told me to contact Continental. I want the nicer, meatier tires that were on there. I will let you know how it comes out I may be out of luck, but I can tell you I don't like these tires, first cloverleaf and I never heard so much tire squealing.

Old 12-11-2002, 08:33 PM
My complaint is the handling has change. It had a nice ride before, but seems to float like an old Caddy now. I am undecided if I am keeping the Expy, so I will not be replacing them anytime soon. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 12-11-2002, 08:51 PM
yea, get these higher profile replacements and you will be even less satisfied. I thought I had my handling real nice. All I needed was a nice set of shocks and mine was gonna have ok performance for a full size SUV. But now with these tires I have been set back a notch.

Old 12-12-2002, 05:55 PM
Bummer.

I'd pitch a bitch with the dealership. Let them know you paid for 265's when you bought the truck and expect them now.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:49 AM
I just bought a '03 Exp. (my third) and it came with Continentals. It rained here the last few days and if I were you I'd push the dealer for another brand. These Cont. have very poor wet traction. It's like driving on ice.

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Good news I got those 265/70's taken off and they put on the OEM 275/60's on. When I took it back to the deal yesterday morning I took one cloverleaf to the interstate and knew that I must get this fixed. The 70's tires, at 45 mph, would start to squeal on the turns. The ride was harsh and the less performance in handling was really noticable. They put on Grabber 275/60's. I know these are crap tires also but they are a lot better than the skinny 70's for handling. Took the same turns with the 60's and it was night and day. They handle a lot better. They are not Micheline Cross Terrains or anything but I can live with these for awhile. Thanks for your support!!

Quick Reply: Should I take these Tires back?? 265/70's