F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

What's left on 87 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's left on 87 octane?

So far I have K&N with stock airbox, a dynomax super turbo and a hi=flow cat on stock 3" pipe. I tried a 2 1/4" y-pipe, custom, didn't work. Sounded great but lost torque so the stock "T-pipe" went back in. What else can be done for 87 octane? I'm not crazy about headers, they blow out gaskets eventually, a chip programmed for 87 octane I'm sure wouldn't provide enough power to notice, the TB spacer is a pantload, and the FIPK gained a bit above 4,000rpm, but lost below 2,500rpm. Anyone have an idea what to try next? Improved tranny programming? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2002, 05:42 PM
One cheapy you may be able to do is check for restrictions coming into you stock airbox. If the 250s are anything like the 150s, there is a plastic horn that restricts airflow down to a 1.5" opening. If it's similar, you can pull this restrictor out and replace it with some flexible ducting or large diameter hose. I haven't looked under the hood of a Super Duty for a while, so I don't remember the intake setup on them.

Another option is going to electric cooling fans. This will reduce the accessory drag on the engine and free up some ponies. Quite a few people have done this on 150s.

Old 12-17-2002, 05:51 PM
Is the stock mechanical fan not on a clutch setup?

I ask this because in the past I have discovered that electric fans seem to mostly only help when drag racing. For instance, you can turn off the fan during your run and then turn it back on when you don't need the power, driving back to the pits. If you have a clutch fan and its not hot, its pretty much just freewheeling anyways.

I have never seen proof that electric fans raise OVERALL HP because your alternator still has to do work to convert the energy of the crankshaft into electrical energy then back to physical energy in the fan, which is more of a loss than a fan connected directly to the crank.

Old 12-17-2002, 07:36 PM
The $600 V10 option would have been the best upgrade. Seriously tho, most bolt on mods only add tiny bits of power.

Old 12-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by V10 man
The $600 V10 option would have been the best upgrade. Seriously tho, most bolt on mods only add tiny bits of power.
No doubt V10 Man!!!
Fact is it's my company truck for the next 3 years, didn't pay a dime for it. Some think it's a crime, I think it's a blessing. I had the choice of truck, but not the motor. Boss' partner has the V10, hates it. Not because of the motor but because he can't get the two-tone blue he had on his '96 sc with a 460.
Best I can do is a few mods to help improve the machine, but I've run out of ideas that are 87 friendly. Any ideas please share!

Old 12-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Even with the clutch, the fan is turning all the time and causing drag. Electric fans will run only when the water temp hits a specified amount. The better quality fans draw fairly low amps. Check out the discussions in the "Engines" section for more info.

Old 12-18-2002, 05:47 PM
transgo all the way

I didnt catch if your manual or not but if your automatic. Transgo. My truck is f150 and its basically stock still with just intake mod but the transgo, aside from making the truck much more fun to drive, helps keep your transmission alive a little longer. Its also good for towing i hear but i never tow so im not sure. Kit itself is less then 100 bucks and then fuild will rack you up a good 60 bucks i think for the 250's. Fairly cheap mod and worth every penny.

Old 12-18-2002, 07:18 PM
grinomyte, you have a link to the tranny mod? F150Sven, I'll definitely look into the electric fan idea. Thanks y'all, eh!

Old 12-19-2002, 04:52 PM
You know what i dont know what transgo's site is. I know there are other shift kits out there as well but i've heard the best from transgo. I actually bought my on ebay heres a link for one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1875145029 but thats with the video which i didnt have and also thats for the 4r70w. I think you use the e40d? though im not sure. Ask companies that sell transgo on ebay for the one for your tranny and you should be able to get it. Good luck and yes electric fan = kick ***, im out hunting one this weekend off a police cruiser.

man i could look at this banana all day

Quick Reply: What's left on 87 octane?