F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please Help!!!

I'd like some opinions from some F250/350 diesel owners. I currently have a 1998 F-150, 4x4, ex-cab, 4.6 with superchip and a few other mods. I've been looking for a 1999 or newer F-250 for abouy 6 months. I CAN'T afford new so I've been looking for a well maintained used one. I think I've found it. Here it is- It is a 1999 F250SD Lariat, 4x4 Crew Cab, turbo diesel with all the extras. It has 83k miles. This was NOT a work truck... at least that is what I've been told. All the maintenance records have been kept and there are NO scratches or dents on the entire truck. They are asking $25,000.00 and I offered $23000.00. I'm concerned about the 83000 miles. I understand the diesel is just breaking in, but what about the other parts... transmission come to mind first. As I mentioned I have a 1998 F-150 that is in EXCELLENT shape. I have no need to sell it except I really could use the crew cab and the diesel for MPG. I'm getting about 15-17 in the F-150. My payment on the F-150 is $260.00 which is sweet compared to most vehicle payments. I know I'm drawing this out, but do you think I should be worried about the 83000 miles? Do you think the $23000.00-$25000.00 is worth it. What are the pro's and con's on owning a diesel? My F-150 has been a GREAT truck, but I think it's time to step up. Please reply ASAP, I'm going out to see the truck tomorrow. Happy Holidays!!!

Old 12-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a "generic answer" to the questions you have, but I would go to thedieselstop.com and read up on their fourms. There is a ton of good info on everything PSD related, from mileage to maintence...It's a great resource for PSD owners and other interested individuals!!

I can touch on a few items with my limited knowledge..

Your mileage on the PSD will not be any better or at least not much better than you are getting now. Ranges go from 13's to 20 unloaded, I seem to average just under 17 mpg with my 02' 4by crew, but have got as low as 13 driving on the highway at 75 in windy conditions.

Trannys have been a problem for some owners, but there are so many PSD auto's on the road, that some owners will surface that have had problems.

The price seems a little high to me, as it's a 98' and the mileage cannot be considered low for a 98' (in my opinion). 83k is not high for a diesel motor, but other things like the a/c may need repair soon, there is no telling. A/c repairs can be very costly. Personally I'd wanna be in the high teens at most...My opinion only!!

Hope this helps a little...