F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

V10 Discontinue

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003 | 09:02 PM
|
V10 Discontinue

I was thinking about purchasing a Ford Superduty with the V10 engine and a new RV (fifth wheel). I was disussing this with a RV dealer. He said that stay away from the V10 because of too many problems, Ford will discontinue. He had no vested interest in telling me this because he was selling me an RV and not a truck. This was the first and only time that I heard this. Has anyone heard of the V10 discontinue and is there a lot of problems with the V10. Thanks .......... Eddie

Old 02-14-2003 | 10:39 PM
Ford's V10 is a relatively problem free engine. The earlier V10s had some problems with blown plugs but that's virtually unheard of with the last few model years. A few reports of cold start knock here and there. One farmer I live near has a 2000 V10 F350 dually that he uses to tow livestock trailers-he has over 70K miles on it now at least and has never had any engine or drivetrain trouble.

The March/April '03 Truck Trend magazine reports that Ford announced it will introduce the next generation V10 in the next year or two. It will be the same 6.8L V10 we have now but with a 3-valve per cylinder setup that will boost it's performance. Also saw a similar report in another magazine but I can't remember which one now. I sure don't get the impression it's going to get the axe anytime soon.

Old 02-15-2003 | 12:06 AM
I think thats total B.S.

As stated, they will move to the next generation, but thats definately no reason to stay away from the current V-10 which, by the way, is a great motor!

The only thing that comes to mind is that you say you're gonna pull a 5er; Although the 10 IS a great motor in its own right, when towing it will suffer much more than the Diesel will in fuel mileage for one. The Diesel is definately the best choice for serious towing.

The 10 will cost MUCH less at purchase, but the diesel will make up for its cost in longevity, mileage and the fact that, usually, diesel is less expensive than gasoline -Especially Premium which is what you should use (at least when towing)

ON the flip side, the new 6.0L PSD, which I have, IS a new motor this year to replace the 7.3L PSD and there are plenty of 'teething pains' to be dealt with in this first model year motor (seems to be mostly software bugs). I have had one minor problem so far and am holding my breath. Otherwise the 6.0L and torqshift 5spd. auto. are a G R E A T powertrain.

~~~Im not knocking the 10, just adding to your points to
contemplate

Old 02-15-2003 | 04:37 PM
I have a 2000 V-10 and have NOT had any problems at all! I would positively get another V-10!

Quick Reply: V10 Discontinue