F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

New truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003 | 05:41 PM
|
New truck

A friend of mine has been looking at new 3/4 tons lately and I told him to search this site and do his homework before he buys. He doesn’t quite know which truck to get, all have their attributes. He doesn’t haul anything but likes the looks of the HD trucks better. He told me the other day he was leaning toward the Chevy 2500HD Extra cab 4X4. Without putting down the other brands what can you tell him that might sway his decision to the right truck. I know we are all loyal but please try and be objective. I did tell him to search magazines to see what they have said, but not to take everything they say to heart (I don’t always agree with them as I'm sure some of you don’t either.) He wants a gas truck since his wife hates the diesel smell (makes her sick) Thanks all.

Old 03-03-2003 | 09:49 AM
When I was first looking (for my '00), probably the deciding factor that swayed me to Ford was the cost. I tried to do an "apples to apples" comparison of identically equipped trucks (or as close to identical as possible). It was no contest - the Ford came out ahead by a long shot. As a matter of fact, the F250SD stickered for only $600 more than a comparably equipped Chevy 1/2 ton! Since then, I have not regretted my decision for one minute. As you can see from my signature, when it came time to replace my '00, I went with another Ford. In looking at the '02 models, there was so much more versatility in terms of how you could equip a Ford than in any of the GM brands. That probably still holds true.

Old 03-03-2003 | 09:16 PM
I think it is a tough choice - a lot is going to just come down to what he likes to drive...

For the extended cab, the chevy gives you more leg room. but the Ford is bigger, sits higher, wider, heavier (but the Chevy does have more ground clearance). For gas engines, you are going to have to go with Ford's V10 if you want to compare with Chevy's 6.0 L V8. Of course, the Chevy still has the big block V8 (a 454?)...but the Ford v10 is a good engine.

If price is no object, you can get a lot of doo-dads with the Chevy like OnStar, Xm Satellite, Locking Rear Diff. I think you have more axle choices with the Ford and more HD type features.

A lot will come down to price and what he thinks drives better.

Old 03-04-2003 | 07:25 AM
|
Well I went and looked at the two to give my opinion (which probably doesn’t matter, partial to Ford) but what is up with the 245's on the Chevy? That thing needs at least 265's or if they will fit, 285's. I do see that it has a 6.5" wheel, maybe a 265 is all that will fit? I don’t know if I would trust a 285 to stay on. The Chevy looks ok, the Ford is definitely taller by about 2-3inches but by the specifications the Chevy is the same width. He does like the way the Chevy drives and rides, smoother and quieter, but he also likes the height of the F250. It will be a hard decision for him, he is partial to either brand so we'll see what he chooses. He has been trying to find some bad info on each, like plug spitting, and piston slap. I see Chevy had a problem with their 6.0 l a while back but have since changed the skirt on their pistons like Ford is doing on the new 5.4 l. He has gotten a lot of info from this board but cant find much for the Chevy. Is there a board like this for that brand? Thanks for your replies.

Quick Reply: New truck