F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Cupping Front Tires, Light Front End

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003 | 07:48 AM
|
Cupping Front Tires, Light Front End

My 99 F250 SD, SC, 4x4 V10 has a very light front end. Just driving down the road, if I hit a bump in the road the front end gets all out of shape and if driving with one hand it makes you get the "pucker" factor in the seat. It does not bounce up and down, but gets "wavy" left and right.. The front tires are also "cupping". High and low spots in both front tires, the pressure is right on as for tire recommendation, and the front end is not out of alignment. It tracks good and runs fine. It does have that "large" tire harmonics when driving down the road, but I believe it is a result of the cupping in the front tires, the rear tires are not like that. They are Goodyear tires, stock size, maybe 10K miles on 80K tires.

Is this normal for the front end to be light? What about tire wear?

Thanks,

Justin

Old 03-16-2003 | 05:48 AM
First things first--cupping-shocks??

When, or what is the condition of the shocks??

If you have the original, they are due replacement by 80000...

Everyone of them is leaking...

I know quite a few guys that drive the brand new truck home and replace them(the stock ones)..

Good Luck..

Old 03-16-2003 | 09:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I stopped at a Goodyear dealer yesterday. His comment is if your tires are cupped, then your front end is out of alignment, and it is no fault of the tires. There is some truth to that, buy by your description you are most likely running the RT/Ss.

If your turck gets wavy left and right, then you most likely have a front end alignment problem. It's best if you catch it within the first 5,000 miles. If you run the tires far enough to be cupped, then the stearing will still be a bit wavy because the tires are no longer flat and true. The problem is you may be able to straighten out the tires before they ware out.

The best defense it to watch the tires closely when new and if you see anything, or if the truck pulls in any direction have the dealer check the alignment. Just stop in and tell them it pulls to the right or left, and if the tire ware is not perfect, then point that out.

Old 03-16-2003 | 11:00 AM
I'd get some Rancho 9000 shocks that are adjustable. Also have that front end checked out including ball joints.

Old 03-17-2003 | 06:52 AM
|
I took it to a shop (National one) and they said the condition of the shocks were fine as well as the steering/alignment parts. The cupping is a result of it being a large 4x4 with a heavy trailer that makes the front end light and by nature it "skips" the front tires causing it, that a standard 5000 mile rotation would have avoided it. He said to rotate the tires and in by the next go around, the tires should be OK again. They are Michelin Brand (600.00 set). Took it to another place for the "free" inspection and got the same story.

Is my a$$ full of smoke now, or does this make sense?

Old 03-17-2003 | 09:29 AM
You didn't say in your original post that you were towing a heavy trailer. You said it was doing this from "Just driving down the road".

Go with the tire rotation then

Old 03-17-2003 | 09:46 AM
|
The sound is full-time, the cause was from the trailer, I guess.

The sound and light front end are present with or without the trailer.

I did not mention the trailer, because I have never had this happen before, assumed it was from some other cause. My F150 never had this problem.

Justin

Old 03-17-2003 | 09:52 PM
Dumb question here, isn't it the shocks job to keep the tire in contact with the road.

You never did answer the ever had shocks put on the truck??

Are they OEM?

Old 03-18-2003 | 09:46 AM
|
Sorry,
Yes OEM, but in good shape. I am slated to replace them in a few weeks. I was going to get a set from the local AutoZone, but if you have any recommendation, I am all ears (eyes).

The shop I took it to said Large 4x4's with heavy trailers will cause the front to "skip" causing the odd wear. They see it all the time.

Justin

Old 03-19-2003 | 03:36 AM
All right Justin, we are getting some where now, First things first..There are no good SD shocks OEM...True story here, I talk to guys that drive them home and replace them on brand-new trucks...I have done several sets, I prefer the rancho 9000's...Kyb's are good as well, some of the 4X4 prefer the Bilstein's... The Rancho's are adjustable, if you are into that...

101's--The springs/coils are what supports the weight of the truck on the tires, the shocks provide dampening motion in the suspension movement, keeping the tires planted on the ground, under all conditions, supposely...Bad shocks and/or excvessive weight in the rear will 'float the front suspension', making it dangerous because of minimum contact tire patch with the ground..

I have changed several sets of the SD's and believe me, brand new shocks from the factory leak!!!! The ones off my truck were all leaking at 10000 miles...You will be surprized and discussded.

Yes, the cupping is the skipping of tires, not in full contact with the ground...The autozones are ok..Probably need to get some weight back on the front of the truck as well...

You say the front end is light, is the back end sagging?? are you level?? level it out by raising the back end or lowering the front end, or get some softer springs...

You will be amazed at what shocks will do for you..But dont cut yourself short here, because your whole ride quality has to do with these..Good Luck

Quick Reply: Cupping Front Tires, Light Front End