F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

6.0 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Owners

Any of you who have bought the new 6.0L engine in your diesel, please give us a progress report. How does it drive, power, torque, noise, fuel economy, etc. And please specify if you have a 250 or 350.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:38 PM
I've got the F350 below.

I had a minor glitch at 274 miles where the gas pedal would not respond momentarily and the SES light came on. Since Ford roadside SUCKS and was going to take 3-4 hours to tow the truck, I just reset the computer and have'nt had any problems since.

Power is GREAT! Really great-
I have access to a 2002 7.3L that has a superchips set on the 'towsafe' level (80hp I believe) and my 6.0L is much quicker, quieter and smoother. I have gotten numerous comments from strangers about the quietness. BTW, it makes a really cool cackle sound when you first start it and is much noisier when cold but quiets way down when warm.

The torqshift trans. is a work of art. The most perfect Auto. I've ever driven. The 'tow/haul' mode is pretty neat and great to have on long downgrades since it will keep the speed in check without having to ride the brakes.

I guess it takes forver to break in a Diesel and I have just over 2400 miles on mine so fuel economy should improve.

Im getting as much as 20 empty with an average of 16 or so.

Towing, I get 11mpg right now (7500lb. TT), but expect that to improve also.

I've been towing only in the tow/haul mode, but Im going to start towing with it off to get better mileage since I have heard from many sources that unless the tranny hunts or Im going up a steep grade it is fine to tow without it. ~That should really improve the mpg.

Old 03-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Bikenut, great looking truck! Thanks for the reply. Anyone else with a progress report?

Old 03-17-2003, 12:02 AM
Thanks, I love it

BTW, the chip that I mentioned in the 7.3 is at 60hp and 115tq. to compare.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:05 PM
My dad has one. He has always driven diesel trucks, standard shift. This is his first automatic ever, and he loves it. The transmission is pretty cool. It has its own temperature guage, and you can't feel the shifting between gears. Quite impressive. He was in love with his Cummins turbo diesel until he got this 6.0 Power Stroke.
This is what I know about the truck.
F350, super crew, Blue, automatic, dually. He took the original truck bed off and added his own flatbed with welder and tools. Pulls and takes off better than anything else I have ever seen, or he has ever driven. He is completely satisfied with the truck. He did have a problem with the turbo about two days after he got the truck, but no other problems. The truck is quieter than the other diesels he has ever owned. I wish I could afford the price of that engine. Well worth it so far.

Blue '97

Quick Reply: 6.0 Owners