F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10

Originally posted by WWBF150
The 15 quart oil changes are cheap, as are the diesel fuel filters. Let's not forget the FW-16 for the coolant too. Oops, it's cold, add on blended fuel with pour point and anti-gel additives, plus the block heater runs for free too. Without really getting into this, how about a person that has to finance the extra $4000 for the diesel?
And EFI gasoline fuel filters are cheap?

How many miles can you go between oil changes on a gas motor?

WTF are you talking about on coolant? Its time to change at 100K on everything now.

They make winter blend gas for a reason, per Ford you should use NO additives.

The block heater will cost an extra $2.00/month. If you cant afford that you should be buying a Focus.

Same for the financing.

Old 04-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10

Originally posted by bikenut
And EFI gasoline fuel filters are cheap?

How many miles can you go between oil changes on a gas motor?

WTF are you talking about on coolant? Its time to change at 100K on everything now.

They make winter blend gas for a reason, per Ford you should use NO additives.

The block heater will cost an extra $2.00/month. If you cant afford that you should be buying a Focus.

Same for the financing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gasoline filters are much cheaper than diesel fuel filters and need to be changed less often.

I run 3K on my oil, by choice. It can be run longer, especially since I use Mobil 1 full synthetic. Further, a diesel is hard on the oil AND it uses the oil for the high pressure injection pump, so oil changes are MORE important on the diesel.

WTF, you own a diesel and have never heard of FW16!!? You'll find out about it, sooner, rather than later. LOL!!

Where I live, the blended diesel, we're not talking about gasoline here, will gell in the winter. No anti-gell or pour point additives, no start. It's that simple.

You won't run a block heater night after night for $2.00 a month. Laughable at best. Maybe you need to Focus on your math.

Financing IS important to many people. The extra $4000 cost of the diesel adds up in the monthly payments. Don't kid yourself.

You might want to get some info on the diesel. You've got more than a few misconceptions about it.

Old 04-26-2003, 11:24 PM
I have never once had to run a block heater on my truck and the first year I owned it it sat in -8 degree weather.

Old 04-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10

Originally posted by WWBF150
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gasoline filters are much cheaper than diesel fuel filters and need to be changed less often.

I run 3K on my oil, by choice. It can be run longer, especially since I use Mobil 1 full synthetic. Further, a diesel is hard on the oil AND it uses the oil for the high pressure injection pump, so oil changes are MORE important on the diesel.

WTF, you own a diesel and have never heard of FW16!!? You'll find out about it, sooner, rather than later. LOL!!

Where I live, the blended diesel, we're not talking about gasoline here, will gell in the winter. No anti-gell or pour point additives, no start. It's that simple.

You won't run a block heater night after night for $2.00 a month. Laughable at best. Maybe you need to Focus on your math.

Financing IS important to many people. The extra $4000 cost of the diesel adds up in the monthly payments. Don't kid yourself.

You might want to get some info on the diesel. You've got more than a few misconceptions about it.
1. oh really?, check the price of a 6.0 filter to a 5.4 filter.
2. FORD SAYS you can go 7500 between changes on the 6.0, what you do is your choice.
3. Nope, no fw60 here. I know I can run up to 100K on my original fill of coolant. Nuf said.
4. Whatever. The refineries change the blend of fuels for summer and winter. Besides, I live in southern Ca. I DONT CARE about no anti-gel.
5. Again, see number 4. AND check your math, you dont know what your talking about cuz you never ran a block heater.
6. Get over your mistake, go get a diesel

Old 04-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Lightbulb Some more info..

Just out of curiosity, I did some calculations with my Quicken loan calculator (I'm bored).

The price of a PSD 6.0L is about a $5100 option. Financed for 60 months it will add $99 per month to your truck's monthly payment. The total finance charge was over $900 assuming no early payoff. My $600 V10 with the same terms adds $11/month to a 60 month payment!

I would like a diesel in one of my future trucks but no way am I paying 5 or 6 grand for an engine upgrade that I can easily do without. Plus the Triton V10 badges on the front fenders look intimidating to drivers in the next lane who are thinking about cutting me off when the light turns red. My suggestion to you diesel guys is to peel off the Powerstroke decals on the doors, get on Ebay and order some V10 badges for your truck! You can thank me later!!! (Just kidding of course-enjoy whatever engine you drive!)

Old 04-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Hillhound, you are correct.

If you dont need it and dont want the added payment, then the diesel is not a good choice in the short term.

But as I've said many times before; you only pay more at purchase time. It will cost less overall.

Old 04-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Bikenut-I'm just clowning around! I like diesels alot. maybe my next one will be a Powerstroke but I hope this one with the 6.8L keeps me happy for several years.

Old 04-27-2003, 08:00 PM
I would like a new 6.0 also but cant afford a new truck. The way I see it is the diesel will cost more but you do save on fuel mileage and the resale of the diesel is no doubt much higher. Hell a 99 superduty with the diesel adds I think $3000. I do like the V10 but the mileage sure does blow!!!

Sam

Old 04-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10

Originally posted by bikenut
1. oh really?, check the price of a 6.0 filter to a 5.4 filter.
2. FORD SAYS you can go 7500 between changes on the 6.0, what you do is your choice.
3. Nope, no fw60 here. I know I can run up to 100K on my original fill of coolant. Nuf said.
4. Whatever. The refineries change the blend of fuels for summer and winter. Besides, I live in southern Ca. I DONT CARE about no anti-gel.
5. Again, see number 4. AND check your math, you dont know what your talking about cuz you never ran a block heater.
6. Get over your mistake, go get a diesel
1. I own a V-10, so the 5.4 AND the 6.0 do not apply.
2. Ford also says that the 6.0 is trouble free and proven. Care to offer any odds on that one? LOL!
3. See #2
4. Cop out answer. Since you don't know, you can't answer intelligently.
5. Again, no intelligent response. BTW, I have a block heater on my V-10, as do most vehicles here. Further, -8 F is not cold either.
6. Had diesels, and diesel experience, long ago. Not again, no way, no how, no thanks. Try to convince someone else that being a test case for the 6.0 is a smart thing. Get over YOUR mistake.

Old 04-28-2003, 12:07 AM
Ok, whatever.
I only have one thing left to say:

I love this truck more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. Yep, period.

You dont like diesel, fine by me. cya

Old 04-28-2003, 05:32 AM
WWBF150---R U A Troll???

You got your facts messed up again...

Any of the diesels, 2002 and up use 100000 coolant and no FW-16...

Have you heard of the 20/400/400K club???

20mpg, 400hp, and 400000 miles on the truck...

I have two under my belt, how about you???

Old 04-28-2003, 12:34 PM
WWBF150 is a maroon, Ive crossed paths with him before and realised hes to stupid to be reasoned with and thinks he knows all. God forbid us diesel owners who drive several of them a day know a little more on a subject than he does. OH GOD NO IT CANT BE! Moron.

Old 04-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Swofford and Mach1, the diesels are so good that you've got more bolt-ons on your "big rigs" than Bayer has aspirin. LOL! Maybe you'll each get a "big rig" fuel filler and a set of air horns and then you'll be all set for a while. LOL! Problems? Not enough power? The two "Ford can't void the warranty for screwing around with the truck" crybabies. Two peas in a pod. Yup, gas engines are bad and don't belong in your "big rigs." Yup, the diesels get 25 MPG while pulling 50 tons, and then run for 500K miles with no problems, etc, etc., GFY

Last edited by WWBF150; 04-28-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Dang, Hes being nice today...Dont want to take another stab at the CPS do Ya???

What about answering the antifreeze...

You know more about a diesel you have never owned...

Air Horns, HECK YA!!!!! Got the big rig filler neck from the factory, another over sight on your part, You are really slipping..

Just the facts man!!!!

I have all the power I ever wanted or needed, now if I can get it to the ground...

Yep those $10 fuel filters and $3 oil filters hurt the pocketbook...And I bet you run Syn in yours, which would offset the cost of my $1 quart oil...5000 miles on an oil change and its still clear(burn propane)..

My math tells me you spend more on maint costs then I...

All I am saying is---That it depends on the application, yours works for you, mine works good because I deduct it and I travel 70 miles a day...I like my 20mpg...I want it to go when I press the pedal, I tow every weekend with it...Sometimes over 10K...And I am going to keep it for 15 yrs or 400000miles...

Playing with/modifing Diesels is fun and a past time for me...I do it as a hobby and not because I have to...I live in my truck and it has to suite me...And its really not a bad truck...

Old 04-28-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by samzx12
I do like the V10 but the mileage sure does blow!!!

Sam
It does blow when you have to fill it up, but when you think about it the V10 mpg is probably a little better than average for a gas motor in a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. GM's 6.0L get about the same mileage as a Triton V10 but makes less torque at higher rpms. A Dodge V10 or a Chevy 8.1 get worse mileage but make more power and the new Dodge Hemi 5.7 is getting pitiful mileage reports at some of the other pickup forums-alot of the guys are only getting 11 or so mpg which in my opinion is sh*tty for a 5.7L motor that only makes 375lb-ft of torque.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10