F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hillhound, I am with you on that hands down!!!!

There are no comparisions to the others...

You are right on the others fuel suckers..12 for the hemi or the 360...

When I recomend something besides the diesel, its the V10 all the way...The 5.4 is too weak in this combo..IMHO..

I had a 5.4 in a 150, and it did not pull a trailer, thats why I got the PSD...it got 16mpg...Mine pulls better and gets 25% better fuel economy..Maybe the new 5.4 3V will work better with the fuel economy,

Its kind of misleading trying to compare the diesel to the V10...

BECAUSE LIKE YOU SAID THE OTHERS ARE NO COMPARISION...

So being second best is great...

I had a 8.1 liter guy try to tell me he was gettin 14mpg...In a dually...right...I would rather have the V10...

Old 04-29-2003, 09:44 PM
::Just sits along his bestest bolt on buddy and watches his beauty sit outside hooked up to 11K pounds knowing its going to move when he touches the gas peddal::

Old 04-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Mach1, no argument on the CPS, since you still haven't figured out that there has been a glut of CPS failures on the PSD. It seems that REAL PSD owners have had this problem with some amazing regularity. Quite the "diesel mechanic", err parts changer. LOL!
Swofford, if you check the Ford specs, the V-10 has a higher FACTORY RATING for towing than the 7.3. Of course, you can bolt on parts on the "superior PSD" and then whine when the transmission/engine fails. After all, Ford should pay for your screwups, shouldn't they? Nothing like accepting responsibility for your actions, is there? Seems to me that I can recall hearing a bit of whining about this from someone a while back. LOL! GFY

Old 04-29-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Mach1

Its kind of misleading trying to compare the diesel to the V10...

BECAUSE LIKE YOU SAID THE OTHERS ARE NO COMPARISION...

So being second best is great...
Second best....? That depends on who you ask and what you mean by "best"! LOL!

I can't wait to see what Ford does with the 30 valve V10 when it comes out for the new SDs I guess in '05. If you go by the percent gains with the '04 5.4L the V10 could be bumped up to around 350hp and 450lb-ft torque.

Old 04-29-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by WWBF150
Mach1, no argument on the CPS, since you still haven't figured out that there has been a glut of CPS failures on the PSD. It seems that REAL PSD owners have had this problem with some amazing regularity. Quite the "diesel mechanic", err parts changer. LOL!
Swofford, if you check the Ford specs, the V-10 has a higher FACTORY RATING for towing than the 7.3. Of course, you can bolt on parts on the "superior PSD" and then whine when the transmission/engine fails. After all, Ford should pay for your screwups, shouldn't they? Nothing like accepting responsibility for your actions, is there? Seems to me that I can recall hearing a bit of whining about this from someone a while back. LOL! GFY
Well I don't want to get into this argument too much but WWB does have a few interesting points.

Why do people spend the extra $$ for a diesel for their class-leading power.....and then spend even more money for power upgrades while they brag about the mileage? Seems like all the extra $$ you spend for upgrades would offset much of the $$ you save from the increased mileage?? Nothing against getting more power but it does cost more $$ to get it.

The reason the V10 is tow rated higher than a PSD in the same truck is due to the higher weight of the diesel taking up a few hundred lbs of the truck's GCWR. It's not becuase the V10 is capable of towing more. Fact is that the V10 and diesel are both capable of handling more trailer than the F250 or F350 chassis will. Got a 2003 Ford Commercial vehicles brochure and and F450 reg cab chassis 4x2 with V10 and 5.38 axle is rated to tow 18,600lbs!

If $$ was no object, why not buy the V10 and then order a supercharger for $3500?? If I'm guessing right this would put your HP/TORQUE up around 450hp and 625lb-ft?? Just some food for thought!

Last edited by Hillhound; 04-29-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:37 AM
And I will remind you oh loathsome and troubled Troll that Ford themselves looked at my transmission and determined it was indeed a defective hunk of metal. All though that would just be to easy in your world WWB, for everything must be caused by those darned Mods I put on my truck not some sort of defect in the part itself! OH MY LORD YOU MEAN MECHANICAL THINGS FAIL BECAUSE THEY ARE DEFECTIVE? I say its true, and so does Ford. Wow, amazing.

Hillhound -

I love the V-10, The PSD just suits my particular needs for what I do. And my mods are purely for fun. I know that Warn Winch adds a good 400 HP to my engine.

Old 04-30-2003, 03:18 AM
Hillhound--you are a little easier to talk to...You bring up a good point about the weights of the engines/Vs. the truck towing capacity..maybe wwb will understand that...

the mods are great..Why---because you can...

$3500 for the blower--I dont have that in mine...you see your mileage will go to nothing real quick with the blower...

I still see 20mpg with 400hp...this truck gets it, and yes someday it will shell the trans...No bigge...gotta pay to play...wont go to Ford...here again will fix it right with a bullet proof one...

Anyone out there have a perfect truck???

Anyone out there not spend money to modify/upgrade truck???

I believe everyone plays with their truck...

Thats why these boards exist...mods and upgrades..Am I wrong here???

Old 04-30-2003, 03:24 AM
WWF---BTW, I believe you are speaking of the CMP..sensor...

I will learn you yet..

Did you figure out what it is yet??

Did you learn the FW-16 yet???

I will keep learning you, keep asking your questions....

I will make the sacrifice and educate you on the PSD..

I know a little bit for a parts changer...

Old 04-30-2003, 04:34 PM
Cool

Originally posted by Mach1
$3500 for the blower--I dont have that in mine...you see your mileage will go to nothing real quick with the blower...

I believe everyone plays with their truck...

Thats why these boards exist...mods and upgrades..Am I wrong here???
I hear you about the mileage-can't argue there. But I was thinking with a $3500 blower and the $600 for the V10 option you still have alot less in the engine that the $5100 for the PSD plus what ever it costs for the diesel upgrades.

Yeah the upgrades are mostly for fun, I understand that and I'm not trying to stir up more trash talk! I haven't done anything to my engine other than a K&N filter but I only use it to tow a trailer that weighs maybe 5500lbs at the most. But if I already had my V10 and needed to start towing maybe 10000lbs regulary, man the superchager would be tempting to me! Especially if I wanted to wait a few years before upgrading to a diesel.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Mach1, someone had better "learn" you the English language before you attempt to educate anyone. Sheesh! Like I had said earlier, a parts changer, nothing more. BTW, the CPS are/have been failing, whether you admit it or not. Swofford, aka, Richard F. Cranium, the BS about your transmission problems is just that, BS. GFY

Last edited by WWBF150; 04-30-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Im sowwy that when your proven wrong you have a tissy fit, but its OK. We know your a moron and are prepared to let your tantrums go un-noticed. Much like your wit.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:00 AM
WWB, It's the ICP there were some problems with dork
They posted a recall and it will be taken care of.

My intention is not to rip on the v10, but honestly, YOU DONT HAVE A DIESEL, you dont understand that there is no comparison. Funny how some people are self appointed professionals...

BTW, my 6.0 is still running just fine and pulling like an ox

Old 05-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by bikenut
WWB, It's the ICP there were some problems with dork
They posted a recall and it will be taken care of.

My intention is not to rip on the v10, but honestly, YOU DONT HAVE A DIESEL, you dont understand that there is no comparison. Funny how some people are self appointed professionals...

BTW, my 6.0 is still running just fine and pulling like an ox
Well bikenut, I WAS REFERRING to the CPS on the 7.3 PSD, not the ICP on the 6.0, so you are the one that looks like an a*****e. Maybe you should have a grip on what is going on in the conversation, not other things. Nope, I don't have a diesel ANYMORE. That doesn't mean that I didn't own a PSD though, does it? What an idiot! Talk about self-appointed professionals, look in the mirror. Comparisons? Well, since you are an all-seeing oracle, I guess that there aren't any. LOL! GFY

Old 05-02-2003, 11:24 AM
oh sorry, I was ignoring the thread for awhile and admit I didnt go through the whole thing.

Now that I did read through the thread, You're still an a$$ though (Thats not the thumb on that smilie)

Old 05-02-2003, 12:03 PM
LOL Bikenut.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10