F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10

I'm need an upgrade from my F150 ScrewKR for towing a travel trailer. I only live a mile from work and at most 5 miles from any conveniences (food, gas, etc.). I will do extensive summer vacationing with my trailer (#5300 lbs, loaded w/ cargo, family of four, gas, dog, etc... #7500 lbs.). My traveling will for the next two summers will primarily be in Michigan (mostly flat, some large rolling hills), but eventually will end up out east and west (over the next five years - couple months out east and a couple out west). Should I be looking at F250 or 350, V10 gas or Diesel? Most likely looking at used under $32,000 with under 20000 miles. Knowing my history, it would be very unlikely I would keep the vehicle for more then 4/5 years.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Hi

I know what you mean. It can be a hard decision.

Your GVWR ..F250 V10 should be ok. Or V10 F350 w/more capacity.

Or...PSD. Power/tq.

Simple comparisons: V10..less mpg..less maint. cost
PSD..more mpg...more maint. cost..fuel
per gal. could be less...its varies.

Its all a compromise Crunch the #s and what works for you. JMO! You'll probably get more.

Good luck....OT

Old 04-12-2003, 03:18 PM
If you have long trips at 70 - 75 mph get the diesel. No gear hunting with the Powerstroke.
Also, when it comes time to sell it you prob. can get rid of it faster w/ a Diesel.

Also turbo whine is bad azz.lol

Old 04-12-2003, 03:26 PM
V-10 all the way, especially if it's going to be your daily driver. The V-10 will easily perform for what you need. The only area a diesel makes sense is if you have the $$$$$ and don't care spending it. And your towing needs really demand the diesel. The MPG battle is over rated when you figure cost for fuel and maint. It will take you years to recoup that price difference. I have no complaints about mine, I get a solid 12.5 mpg and wouldn't trade my truck at all.
Good Luck

Old 04-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Well I gotta disagree with the MPG "battle" being "over rated". I get 12.5 pulling a 8000# trailer. And 18 to 20 empty!!!

At 12.5 MPG, and 20,000 miles/year, you're buying 1600 gallons. 1600 X $1.75/gal=$2800 per year on fuel.

At my 18 MPG, 20K/yr, I'm buying 1111 gallons.
1111 X $1.75/gal=$1944 per year on fuel.

Kelly Blue Book says $5000 difference between a V-10 and PSD for the same truck in an '02 model. But $6000 difference for a '99. That tells me that the PSD hold more resale than the V-10.

My 2 cents,
Mark

Old 04-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the input.

I also have to consider noise, odor, and ride (the spouse factor). Having very little experience with diesels, how does the 6.0 fare compare to other diesels on the market (duramax, cummins, and the older PSD 7.3?

Old 04-13-2003, 11:34 AM
The new diesel's don't smell like the old ones did and are fairly quiet. The ride will be just as nice as the gasser. To further define the MPG battle don't forget the cost difference of diesel, like I mentioned the difference around my area for diesel and gas is at a minimum 20 cents. Also figure in MPG averages, whatever boards you read the MPG figures are all over the map, so throw the high and low and that will give you a better idea. There could also be the issue of how many local stations have diesel as well. The other issue of cost is, maint for the diesel. Diesel maint doesn't come cheap compared to the gasser.

That all being said, I think the diesel is an awesome motor and I would love to have a new 6.0 sitting in the front yard. However cost and the true need for one doesn't really pan out for me. Either way you can't go wrong.

Old 04-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi MC No short way of doing this...so-

This is how i would answer anyone who is considering buying a 03 6L PSD. Knowing what i know now.

Because of certain known problems associated with this new engine and latest being Ford has decided to recall certain 6L...
I was aware potential problems when i got my 6L...but still

I would suggest forgetting the 03/6L...wait for the 04 model. Even thou Ford is coming up with fixes etc...to me it looks like trial/error..some have worked/some havent. Hopefully the recall is a final solution/fix. This is not a Ford bash and in all fairness i do feel they are working hard on this one and now stepping up to the plate...."recalls" w/free oil change.

Ive noticed no diesel smell inside cab. driving. I have smelled it..but only briefly at start up (windy) with windows down. If standing by exhaust, yes i can smell it...but to me its not obnoxious.

The 6L is quieter than the 7.3PSD. Duramax is quieter than the 7.3L You have to determine this for yourself. Driving freeway or city..to me inside noise (widows up) is less with the 6L. I can talk/listen to radio etc..barely notice engine running. You know its a diesel when you cold fire it...gets quieter when warmed up. However there is no mistake...its a DIESEL.

Compared to my old 99 F250LD SC/SB etc...ride is abit harsher which is no surprise to me (suspension/tires psi etc.)...but alot better than i expected it to be. I would imagine it would be alot more noticeable to someone coming from say a F150. Still...ride quality has really improved in the SD. JMO! as all of this post is.

Anyhow if you havent done so...why not go out there and drive all of them (G&D) includ. the Duramax..i did. Naturally you gotta go with what works for you. So good luck and happy truckin.

OT

btw...My 6L is ok..so far..only 300mi on odo...no hi way yet only city...13 mpg. (my 99..city 14mpg w/4.6L) fuel $ varies here..best so far Union 76 .16 cents gal. less than 87oct...which by the way according to pump..says 10% ethanol..i think Arco same..looks like soon all gas here will have ethanol additive..our gas pumped in from Ca. For me that was also another big factor (Gas VS Diesel)ethanol=less mpg. Althou i do agree its better for enviro. First oil chg. free...next one..ouch

Old 04-13-2003, 05:35 PM
The new 6.0L PSD is a dream machine.

Not only will you pay MUCH less for fuel, but you will get a considerably higher MPG in the diesel. I just filled up today at $1.75/gal. for diesel. Regular unleaded is at $2.09.

I just towed 7500 lbs. and got 11.4 mpg going through the mountains!! Empty I get OVER 17 mpg.

~~~That settles the fuel cost/MPG issue

NEXT~

What maintainance costs on the diesel? A oil change does cost a bit more, but you can go farther between changes. What other maintainace costs are there?? Huh?

NEXT~
Cost.
Yes, you will pay more for the Diesel at time of purchase, but you will regain nearly ALL of that money at resale. ~~See what a 5 year old diesel with 75K on it goes for compared to the same V-10 ~~ Would you buy a V10 gasser with 75K on it -Sorry, I would'nt. In the mean time, the Diesel is in the prime of its life!

So, to sum it up:
The diesel gets better mileage at a much cheaper fuel cost. The power is Far superior. Maintainace costs are equal or less than a gasser when all is considered and the resale/longevity of a Diesel MORE than makes up for the initial cost; which is underlined by the factory 100K warranty on the Diesel.
Hmmm.. Easy choice for me

Rugby said:

The only area a diesel makes sense is if you have the $$$$$ and don't care spending it.

I say, The only area a V-10 makes sense is if you DONT have the $$$$$ and CANT spend it on the Diesel.

Old 04-13-2003, 10:08 PM
I didn't read all the posts so I may be repeating....

I'd say the diesel over V10 hands down. However, you say your daily comute isreally short, the weight isn't bad and you'll be doing the towin just in the summer months. All that being said, I think V10 makes more sense. Sure you'll burn more fuel when you are towing, but the savings in purchase price will cover that easily it sounds like. It won't be a diesel, but most of your driving is gasser driving, not diesel.

Just one more opinion!

Old 04-14-2003, 05:03 AM
$1.45 for diesel for the last three fill ups...

I like propane at $.99 gallon...

I like the sound of 400hp 800ft lbs 7.3..

20+mpg...

9.5 sec 1/8..Could not get any traction, melted the tires...

This is the best truck I have owned!!

Old 04-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Wow,
I guess you can tell that the majority seems to be biased diesel owners. Like I mentioned the diesel is a great motor, however, the original questions were geared towards advice not personal preference. Driving a mile to work for the daily commute isn't the best thing for the diesel. The whopping five miles for convienences isn't either. Towing three to four months out of the year with 7500 lbs isn't a monster load and the V-10 will be very capable of handling that.
To speak to my 1/2 listed qoute, the part left out was" if your towing needs really demand it". Those of you that can afford the new diesel and are weekend towing warriors great for you. Being able to buy the biggest baddest truck is the American way, but at least provide even feedback. If I had the $$$$ you can bet I would be in a new diesel, but that wasn't the question. The V-10 for his needs is a viable option.

"Looking for my Nomex material clothes"

Old 04-14-2003, 08:16 PM
I'm with you Rugby. Sure, the PSD (in any variety) is a beast to reckon with. However, given the OP's stated driving habits, the V10 is a far more logical choice to make. I would love to have the PSD when it comes time to tow my TT, but my V10 does an admirable job pulling it (albeit at the expense of gas mileage). If I was towing 40+ weekends out of the year, I would have made the sacrifice and gotten the PSD despite the fact that most of my trips are relatively short (and not really suited to the diesel). Since my towing trips are fewer and further between, I elected to go with the V10, and have not regretted it even once. As far as the 250/350 decision - whatever you can find in your price sweet spot. Either will do the job very well.

Old 04-14-2003, 08:27 PM
my vote is diesal. If your willing to live with some of the less attractive parts of the diesal, noise, idle etc, then its simply the better engine. It lasts way longer, cheaper to own in terms of maintiance really, cheaper on the gas. As long as your willing to live with some of the less appealing parts its what i would buy.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:15 PM
The diesel is fine around town. He said 'Extensive summer vacationing' with 7500 Lbs. Sure the 10 will pull the weight fine, but at WAY less MPG both loaded and empty.

Bottom line is that the Diesel will cost more to purchase, but starts 'paying you back' right away and doesnt stop until you get it all back at resale.

Believe me, Im not a rich man and considered the GREAT deals on the v10 intensely. In fact, they had a Awesome 8" lifted V-10 250 with rims, tires and a ton of goodies for much less than my PSD, but the only time you save on the 10 is at purchase, I was looking far down the road when I signed on the dotted line.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - 6.0 diesel or v10