F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2001 F250 3/4...good price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 F250 3/4...good price?

My husband might be getting an offer on a new job opportunity, and he would need a big truck to be able to haul heavy loads every once in awhile. We have been looking at F250's 4x4 Diesel trucks, both new and used.

We found one, used, and wanted to get everyone's opinions on it. Here are the details on it:

2001 FORD F250, Lariat, 4x4, crew cab,
Powerstroke, 19k miles, fully loaded, 4" pro comp lift, weld wheels, sliding bed cover, Billet grill.

Asking $31,500. (Which is about right using kbb.com)

When we were at the dealership, looking at 2003's....they were willing to take $5k off the sticker, bringing one to around $38k or so.

Is this is a good deal? Thoughts?

Old 05-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Go new. With that type of equipment on it, it sounds like the previous owner was ready to really "work" that truck!

Old 05-02-2003, 08:56 PM
There are alot of used out there. Personally I would stay away from the lift kit unless that is what you want. I am sure you could buy new with the new 6.0L for around $35K depending on what kind of options. When I was shopping I could find a good selection of used but I cant afford new right now. Do a search on Autotrader.com or another website and I am sure you will find quite a few. Goodluck.

Sam

Old 05-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi Ngirl

Thoughts..ok

You want an F250. That will work for you/yours...

OK...how soon you need it? If sooner than later...it'll be what you find on lot or private party. What you see is what you get VS factory order..way you want it..but gotta wait. Choices!

Nothing new, different when comparing new/used. It's always been buyer "beware" especially if no warranty. You may already know..even w/warranty..that dosen't guarantee you a good vehicle..you just got some $$$ protection.

Price you have...sounds reasonable for used. However..if no warranty...at that price, would it be worth $$$ to have it professionally inspected? As mentioned...lift kit etc hmmmmmm?
May/maynot be ok..but would grab my attention.

The 03 model yr. will be winding down soon. Not much time left for factory orders. Just beaware there have been problems with some of the 6L PSD. Mine so far has been very good

If you should run across a new 03 7.3L PSD..check it out..could be heavily discounted. Not made anymore..but proven. So..new/used lots of choices eh!

Good luck...OT

Old 05-03-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Old Timer
If you should run across a new 03 7.3L PSD..check it out..could be heavily discounted. Not made anymore..but proven. Good luck...OT
I would jump all over this. I couldnt find one when I was shopping

Also, if you can, get the 1-ton IMO.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by samzx12
Personally I would stay away from the lift kit unless that is what you want. Do a search on Autotrader.com or another website and I am sure you will find quite a few. Goodluck.
Sam
Thanks....that's where we found her, on Autotrader.com, and she was the only one we really liked. As far as the lift kit, we like that, and he would probably have done it to a truck anyways, so that is just a plus in our book. However, we need to make sure it's not too high, since he will be loading stuff it in it sometimes. We really want a truck that looks good, and has the capabilties of towing heavy things when need be.

OldTimer----thanks for all your thoughts. We just found out we have some time before we need to make a decision. If he gets the job, we will need a diesel, and at least a 6.0L, possibly the 7.3L. We test drove both from the dealer, and preferred the 6.0L over the 7.3L....but it's still a contender. Since we can't get the great 0% rate on any of the F250's, we figured "used" was an option, since our credit union will give us 4.90%. Warranty isn't too much of an issues for us, since my hubby knows Ford engines/trucks inside and out...however, it would be nice to have

Bikenut---LOL...you sound like my hubby..he is so ready to buy it, and we haven't even seen her or test driven her. She is a beauty from the picture online, and already has everything he would do to a truck anyways. Love the low mileage too!

We really need to call the guy with the truck, take a look at it, and go from there. Even if he doesn't get this new job, he would probably still want the truck, but I don't think he needs a F250 for everyday driving to his current job...which requires no hauling!

Thanks everyone!!! I will let you know after we see her in person and test drive her too!!!

Old 05-04-2003, 10:54 AM
We really need to call the guy with the truck, take a look at it, and go from there. Even if he doesn't get this new job, he would probably still want the truck, but I don't think he needs a F250 for everyday driving to his current job...which requires no hauling!

Everyone needs an F250 for everyday driving. I will never go back to a smaller truck even if I never needed the capacity that mine has. Even my wife prefers to drive the big beast. IMO it rides nicer than my lil F-150 and of course is so much better looking. Nothing says TRUCK like a Superduty.

Good Luck and if you do get one you'll be driving aroud with a

Old 05-05-2003, 06:09 PM
When I was getting my tires rotated I was talking to a guy who just got a 2001 F250 Lariat Crew Diesel 4x4, all the options, even had a cap on it for 30K from a local Land Rover dealer. It only had about 16K on it. He talked to the guy who traded it in and that was basically what the dealer had given him on the trade.

I would have been all over that deal if I had a chance...

It is probably the rare one though...

Old 05-07-2003, 04:28 AM
I have heard of some killer deals on the 7.3's and them still being around new....

That sounds way too much for down here in the south...The 350 SRW is the desired one, around here...

That truck is two years old and the old engine style, IMHO thats way too much...

But then I am glad to see that my truck is worth alot more now after seeing that price...

Old 05-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Unhappy NO WAY!

:o The price is way out of line. I sell Fords and the price of the used one you,ve mentioned is way high. It's 2 model years old now, and you should be able to buy it for about 70% of the Sticker price new.

Call me and I'll price new for you. 800-364-2868 Bruce

Old 05-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Re: NO WAY!

Originally posted by BCA1953
:o The price is way out of line. I sell Fords and the price of the used one you,ve mentioned is way high. It's 2 model years old now, and you should be able to buy it for about 70% of the Sticker price new.

Call me and I'll price new for you. 800-364-2868 Bruce
Thanks...but a little late. We didn't buy this truck, found a 2002 PSD, 7.3L, F250, Lariat 4x4 for $31k....and we are very happy

BTW...this guy had a lot of aftermarket mods done to it...and when we looked up the truck on KBB, it was in the right range.

Quick Reply: 2001 F250 3/4...good price?