F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

power window switch bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach1

Honestly, I don't think the door switch is related. The power windows, wipers and e-brake lights on dash should work when the key is on. I am at a lost right not. This past week, everything worked fine. Then this morning, same problem. I would also question the ground because shouldn't it be getting worse as time goes by? It only occurs when I first start the truck (not always when the engine is cold). There just seems to be some delay in getting the power. Actually, now that I think about it, I did not notice the problem until after I re-programmed the truck with the microtuner (tow safe mode).

runnert

Old 06-10-2003, 04:07 AM
ok, so we got the wipers and the door windows dont work, and then the parking brake and door open light on the dash dont illuminate...I would check your owners manual and see if these are common on a fuse...Could be the ignition switch not making good contact..you have a good one going, still could use some info on the wiper/windows, hit them with a probe and if you have power and no workage, then its a ground problem...

Try to isolate them to a power or grd problem...

The dash panel light problem, could be a common ground problem there..I could see it as a ground problem in the dash, except for the window problem...

try the undo the chip deal to see if it is that...Good luck...

Old 06-19-2003, 02:36 PM
I fixed it!!!

Ok the problem was with the power window fuse in the box under the dash. I have looked at it before and did not think it was the problem. I had even looked in the slots and could see the copper connectors so I figured it was making proper contact. Anyway, today I thought maybe somehow it was not making contact. I wrapped a wire over the front of one of the posts of the fuse and pressed it in - still nothing. I wrapped it over the other one and it worked. So a more reliable fix would be to get in the box and crimp the leads closer together. It figures it was something stupid like this.

runnert

Old 06-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it all figured out runnert. Maybe we'll cross paths up there in LaGrange sometime soon...

Oh yeah, here's the house...

Old 06-22-2003, 03:03 AM
No-Power, test light, hit both sided of the fuzes...you got it, just start probbing and you found it...

Good work Man!!!

Old 06-23-2003, 09:23 AM
Mach1

Well it did not make sense to do it at first because the windows did work when the truck was on. But if I just turned the key backwards, the windows never worked - no matter how long I waited. So I figured that maybe there is a backup to the windows when the truck is on. So I looked in to the fuse slot and could see that maybe the probes were not as close together and if I stuck in something around the fuse post to make contact...well you know the rest.

RP,

Nice to see your house is coming along. We'll get together for a beer soon.

runnert

Old 07-21-2003, 09:04 AM
I wanted to bring this post up again because the problem was more than I thought. I had not yet had time (only because other things have been more important than fixing my temporary fix), to go back and crimp the fuse leads together. The temp fix was to wrap conductive wire over both prongs of the fuse to make contact with the leads.

Over the weekend, my windows started to have the same problem. I was horse camping this weekend and decided to fix the problem for good. To get to the leads, you have to take all the fuses and relays out - pop the plastic cover and this exposes all the leads. So I did that, crimped the lead and put the window fuse #7 back in - no work. I put all the fuses back in except for the general power fuse #15 (to keep the beeping from anoying me) - no window power (figures). I put in the general power fuse in - no power. So now I am at a lost because I know the window fuse is making proper contact. luckily I happend to bump the fuse above the window fuse while I was pressing the window switch and the windows worked for a brief moment. So I kept wiggling the above fuse and the windows would work. I pulled that fuse and crimped the leads and then the windows worked perfect after that. I checked what that fuse controled - #4 - and it is for the glove box lamp/map lamps/power mirrors/underhood lamp.

SO CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY THIS FUSE WOULD KEEP MY WINDOWS FROM WORKING???

Everything is working perfectly now.

runnert

Old 07-23-2003, 05:29 AM
Runnert, when you had it apart, was the power side of the fuse like tied together??

In a fuse box all the 'hot' sides are tied together somewhere, sounds like the place it gets its power from has something in common with the other fuse as well...Where they like riveted together, or is there a bus in there...

It makes sense, but I dont know if you have it fixed quite yet...

The window circuit gets its voltage from another place and it is common to where the other fuses get thier power from, and all the rest of the circuits as well...

So they usually just bring in one huge power wire in the box and then split it off..Does that make sense???

One of those splits from the main power wire to the window circuit is not making good contact???

Old 07-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Mach1,

That is hard to say. When you take all the fuses out and then remove the black plastic cover to expose all the fuse leads, you can pull out each individual lead. they are about 3/4" in length. They have the same "crimp" design on each end (symetric) - so you can take them out and put them in reverse. The leads, I assume touch another probe inside the box that have the same shape as a fuse probe. You cannot see into the slots very well. At first I was going to pull the whole box from the dash because I thought that was the only way in. The way all the wires come in from the rear makes it impossible to uplug the wire plugs (if that is how they are held in via the rear. So when I realized I could not remove the entire fuse box, I thought maybe the front comes off - which it does. So I cannot answer your question completely. But you are probably right as far as one power coming in from one side and then the fuse completes the curcuit. When I had the lead removed from the box, there was a little cantilever bar (need to show you a picture to better explain) within the center of the lead that you adjusted to make the opening for the fuse smaller so the fuse would make better contact. The two fuses (or 4 leads) in question had very large openings which the post of the fuse could fit between without touching the lead. So apparently the two fuses must somehow be in series rather than parallel. Is this right? Anyway, everything works fine now. If I wiggle the fuse, the windows still work - no shorting out.

runnert

Old 07-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Moderator &

Totally OT but...

HEY RUNNERT... our house in LaGrange is COMPLETE!!!

Old 07-24-2003, 07:59 AM

Alright!!! - when's the house warming party???

That's great. It must be a huge relief to you knowing you will be getting out of your appartment soon. Again, congratulations. Sounds like they finished it ahead of schedule.

runnert

Old 07-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Moderator &

Yeah... they're definately ahead of schedule however; we don't close until the middle of August thus, we won't be out there until then...

I'm super ready to get out of this forking apartment but, on the flip side, I'm dreading moving.

The wifey has been packing like a madwoman here lately... more power to her, less I'll have to do. LOL!

RP

Old 07-25-2003, 07:55 AM
You will definitely be dedicating more time to yard work and stuff. For example, last night I painted a primer coat on the barn (approx 1200ft^2) then cleaned the sprayer, then mowed the lawn (got stung by a wasp while mowing and proceeded to destroy of MF'ers's nest), fed the horses and dogs/cat, carried grain to the barn (approx 350#) fixed dinner and died in my bed around midnight...and I wouldn't give it up for any kind of city living.

I think I remember you posting a pick of your house and it is brick - good choice, low maintenance (I envy you).

Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed with all the stuff I NEED to get done before the girls start school.

runnert

Old 07-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Moderator &

Well, it has a brick component. LOL... it's definately not all brick. Too much $$.

You envy me???? Heck man, I'd love to have the situation that it sounds like you have. Horses, a barn, land... I'm going to be in a decent house on a postage stamp of a lot. I'd really like to have a few acres of my own.

Once I get out that way we'll have to find eachother and go grab lunch or a beer (back in Lville of course).

My wife and I were talking today... know of any good 'local' restraunts up that way? It looked like there were a couple of them on the square (Red Pepper or something like that was the name of one of them)...

Any suggestions?

RP

Old 07-27-2003, 10:46 AM
I meant having a brick house. I am putting too much time into mine. It is cedar siding (4x8 sheeting). To get any land out here, you have to buy it with a house. There just is no vacant land available unless you know the owner of a failing farm or something. So I had to settle for an older house (fixer upper pretty much) to get some land with it.

Actually it is cheaper to buy the beer in L'ville and bring it out. I will be on business travel in the next few weeks, so after school starts, we can get together. You do any hunting or shooting? I have a nice shooting range. I also mountian bike some. There are some really good (narrow though) trials off of 22, west of Crestwood back in a place call Briar Hill - arond 5-7 miles or so.

As far as resturants, not much there in town. Towards the fire station, there is one called track side. It is mainly a buffet. You have 2 choices: normal buffet type food and then seafood buffet. The seafood is more than twice the cost as the regular (and they keep a close eye on which area you pick from - they caught me ) But then if you head back west on 146, just past the grade school, on the left is a place and I think it is called L'ville chili or something like that. They have really good food - many selections other than chilli. And they also have an ice-cream place. Then down in Buckner, down by the high school, there are a few pizza places and subway. There is also ice-cream. Then also next to that is back wood bbq. They are a ma/pa kinda place. You can get bbq sandwich or ribs or chicken or pasta dishes - it is pretty good. Crestwood has not much more to choose from. Down past pee wee valley there is Juices which is a lot better than back wood bbq. Then further down (almost to the gene snyder (on old lagrange rd) there is a ton of stuff - kroger/mancinos/some fast food. But mostly, the east side of l'ville is the place to go. Westport rd/brownsboro rd.

runnert

Quick Reply: power window switch bad?