F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

power window switch bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power window switch bad?

I posted this on the diesel site and had a little help.

The symptom is that sometimes - not all the time, I will go to put the window down and it will not work. If I wait about 30 seconds, then the windows will work properly.

Sometimes if I go out to put the windows down without starting the engine, If I turn the key back towards me, the windows will not work. Then if I turn the key to the on position (wait to start engine lite comes on) and try to put the windows down, they will not work at first, then after 30 seconds, they will work fine.

Also at times, when the engine is running, I can hold the window down button continuously and then in about 30 seconds, they will work properly. This is for both driver and passenger windows.

And the wipers are doing the same thing. If I have dew on my windshield and I just started my truck, the wipers are delayed along with the windows for about 30 seconds.

Any help is appreciated.

runnert

Old 05-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Grounds, sounds like to me, connection points...I would take the door panel off, (easy enough) and hit the power to make sure that is happening, if power all the time then it is the ground....

If no power then maybe switch contacts?? Just walk it through..power to switch, power through switch, power to window motor, not--has got to be ground...

Old 05-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks Mach1,

I am leaning towards one of those reasons as well. I am just trying to find time to really dig into this. I will let you all know what I find out when I find it out.

runnert

Old 05-21-2003, 09:28 PM
You have a test light, and just dig in, ask away and we will walk you through it..tell us what you find...Its either there or not...Good Luck...

Old 05-22-2003, 10:18 AM
yeah, I will get my volt meter and check around. I am on vacation this weekend and probably will not get to it until the following weekend. I will let you know what I find out when I get to it.

Thanks

runnert

Old 05-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Well I could not find anything. But then, over the weekend, I noticed something else. I am not sure of the dash lighting on any of the other model year trucks (I have a 1999 6 spd), but when I put the key in and turn it to the on, at first, all the dash lights come on - or so I thought. What I have noticed and confirmed, is that while I wait for the "wait to start" light to go off, I also have noticed that my "emergency break" light and "door open" light (just below the "wait to start" Light) are not on. It is when these lights come on, that then I can operate my windows. Sometimes, when these two lights come on, there is a "beep" that I will hear. So I am totally confused.

Any thoughts?

runnert

Old 06-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Anyone???

runnert

Old 06-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have me totally bumfuggled now... Best of luck to you man. If I can help out any let me know... just not sure what I can do.

RP

Old 06-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Is your interior lights on at any time??? Or when they shouldn't be...

You may have the dreaded door latch switch problem, real famous on the 99's...

When you hit the door the windows will no longer work,

How is the operation of the interior light, does it work like it is supposed to???

I can see if the gem sees the door open it will not allow you to use the window...

Need more input...interior light operation...

Old 06-03-2003, 08:19 AM
Mach1

I have dash lights and dome lights when I open the door. right off hand, I cannot remember if I should/have dome lights when I have the key on and waiting to start the truck. I will look at that. It is raining this morning, and I had full power when I started up the truck.

If I recall right, when I turn the key on, the dome light and the outside light on the cab (third break light) should turn off - is this correct?

I will do a search on this site and the ford-diesel site and research the door latch switch problem.

Thanks for the reply all...

runnert

Old 06-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by runnert
If I recall right, when I turn the key on, the dome light and the outside light on the cab (third break light) should turn off - is this correct?
Not 100% sure on the SD but, it definately does on the F150.

Old 06-04-2003, 04:41 AM
I dont have the manual in front of me, sounds like you are saying the power to the windows/wipers, is getting delayed...I would have said that the GEM, but if the wipers are doing the same, not..I have seen key switch do like that before(erratic operation), I would look in the manual and see where the wipers/windows get there power from, maybe some relay is loosing a ground and not powering on/off right...

The manual could help alot..

Old 06-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Mach1

I will check the relay. I don't have a manual and I really don't like those cd versions. I would rather have a book - except I can't justify paying $200.

Where is the door switch located - in the latch?

runnert

Old 06-05-2003, 08:16 AM
The interior light does go off when I turn the key on. And I now know the door switch is inside the panel at the latch. So this weekend I will first try the wd40 remedy and see what happens. Actually, for the past week, I have had no power issues at all. I will keep ya'll posted.

runnert

Old 06-08-2003, 05:10 AM
Ya, I know what you mean about $200 for the manual..I paid $130...

Do you think your problem is linked to the door switch???

You have some kind of ground/connection problem...please keep us in touch..

Quick Reply: power window switch bad?