F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Shopping for new truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for new truck

I've recently had my job eliminated and will be pushed into a new job that pays a LOT more (I know, waaa, waaa) so I've been shopping for a new beast to drive.

How's this for a truck:

200x F-250 Reg cab, long bed
PSD, auto
4x4, Fx4, Camper package, snow plow package (I want the heavier springs)
PTO, privacy glass, slinging rear window, receiver hitch.

I don't plan on hauling anything more than a U-Haul trailer when I move, 99% of the time the load will be in the bed.

I was figuring that if I get everything heavy-duty to begin with, and get a diesel, the truck should last abotu forever with proper maintainance.

What's your opinions?

Magnum

Old 05-17-2003, 10:22 AM
I think you are headed in the right direction!!

We just bought our first PSD F250 and we love it!!!

I agree, with proper maintenance, she will run forever

There are a lot of people on here with PSD's and they will all tell you that's the only way to go

Keep us posted!

Old 05-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Sounds great, but are you Sure you dont want the extra cab at least? We use regular cab trucks at work and I cant stand it. Personal choice I know, but something to consider..

Other than that, you are going with my theory: "If its built to work that hard, I should'nt be able to break it!"

Old 05-17-2003, 06:00 PM
I would add looking for a crew cab. I have that and the 8' bed and love it. Perfect for a family vehicle and hard core work truck when needed. Also nothing like riding down the road in that size truck. The only thing I need now is a lift and some bigger tires.

Old 05-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Magnum,

If you have a choice between a 7.3 PSD or a 6.0 PSD I would opt for the 6.0. I know there are alot of horror stories around regarding the new PSD but I feel it does not indicate they are all bad or the number of satisfied 6.0 owners out there, including me. As for you cab config it's whatever works for you, I'm a crew cab guy myself. Happy shopping.

John

Old 06-03-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi there,

Just thought I'd jump in on this topic with some questions of my own.

I've been trying to use the Build & Price section of the Ford website to come up with a truck I like. Now maybe it's because I've been having browser troubles (couldn't get parts of Build & Price to work properly), but I haven't been able to successfully equip a vehicle with both a diesel engine and the snow plow package. Is there a legitimate reason for this (heavier engine or something), or is it just my browser being stupid? I'd like the diesel of course for the reasons mentioned above - maintenance and fuel costs - and I need the plow because of the heavy snowfalls we get every year up here.

What I was looking at was a 2003 F350 XLT with the 6.0 PSD, auto trans, 4x4, and the plow package. Every time I try to select the plow package, the site says I have to change to the 5.4 gas engine.

Thanks in advance,

--j.

Last edited by Jay911; 06-03-2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Ford will only put the snow plow package on the gas engines in the Super Cab/Crew Cab configuration. You CAN get the plow package on a diesel, but only in the regular cab setup. IIRC, the diesel can also be had with the plow package, but only in the F-450 and up chassis/cab config. Weight is the problem here. I'm quite sure that you'll hear about people that have installed a plow on a S/C or C/C diesel with no problems. It can happen, but remember Ford can also void your warranty for overloading the truck too. Waiting for the diesel crowd to attack.

Old 06-04-2003, 04:47 AM
You are right wwf... But I say the diesel rules!!! They will/can void your waranty....

Just kidding on the diesel jokes...

Something about the front end is already pretty well loaded...

Quick Reply: Shopping for new truck