F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

4x4 versus 4x2

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me, sitting here in Texas, sticks head up from behind monitor, looks around, sees only 4x4s, puts head back down, goes back to sleep...dreamin I'll win the TX Lottery...then I'll just buy a 4x4 and my own alignment machine

Old 05-27-2003, 01:27 PM
The dealership I bought mine from has two 4x2 crew cab PSDs showing in their inventory right now (one 7.3, one 6.0). If you aren't too far from New Boston - check out Johnston Ford-Mercury.

Old 05-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Most people that have 4x4 don't 'need' and most never use it. Some use it because they have it. It doesn't sound like you 'need' one, the question is do you want one enough to pay the extra amount. There really is no more maintenance on 4x4s. The need for alignments more often is more because of the way people drive 4x4s.

I don't know what rear ends are offered now, but when I helped my Dad order his 02 F250 V10, the were 3 options for rear ends - the 3.73 being the highest and standard. I'm thinking the others were 4.10 and 4.30, with LS option for all.

Make sure the 4 pin adapter for the pigtail is included. Someone had taken it out of my truck and I made the dealer send me one.

Old 05-30-2003, 07:40 PM
looking again through the online inventory of the 25 DFW dealers most are 4x4s for the nicer trucks with diesel. I guess they figure if your going to get drive 525 lbs of torque around then why not 4x4 too....

Well, if maintenance is not a big deal I may end up with a 4x4 just because getting a good deal means being flexible ....so, hey, force me already to buy an even higher level of COOLNESS. Its just that the only off-roading I'll ever do is on my Specialized Stumpjumper.

Old 05-30-2003, 09:06 PM
If you never plan to leave the pavement, don't live on a hill with a long lane, never pull stumps, drive in snow, drive on icy snow, drive on ice or out of ditches after trying to drive on ice, or pull out a friend who's stuck, then buy a 4x2.

If you never have to go through 400 feet of mud ruts to get to a job site or over loose rock with a load, get the 4x2.

If you're sure the loss of only about 1 mpg and the better visibility the extra height will give you is a problem, then get the 4x2.

If you like the idea of your mother in law being able to get in and out of your truck easily, then get the 4x2.

If you know for a fact that you will never have to haul a load of furniture across a long wet lawn, then get the 4x2.

If you know you will never ever get stuck, buy a 4x2.

If you never, ever want to get top dollar for your trade in, get the 4x2.

If you're sure the sand under your tires will never get soft, get the 4x2.

If you never want to get back after a rainy camping trip, get the 4x2.

If you never ever want to do any of the above then get the mini van with a short trailer.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 36fan
Most people that have 4x4 don't 'need' and most never use it.
Some buy a minivan with seating for 8 and never have more than 2 or 3 people in it.

Some buy a sports car and never drive it fast.

Some buy diesel pickups and don't even own a trailer.

I hardly ever hear 4wd owners lamenting about buying a 4wd, but I often hear 2wd owners telling everyone why noone needs a 4wd. I've never even considered buying a 2wd pickup; I couldn't get by wth it. The winters, the wet grass in my meadows (often with a trailer hitched up) and the dirt/rock/mud roads would do me in fast.

The bit about the alignment being easier to mess up on a 4wd is nonsense. I've owned a 4wd pickup of one kind or another for almost 20yrs and never had my alignment messed up through normal use. I could even make the argument that a 2wd SD's twin I-beam coil setup with weaker front axle rating is more fragile than the 4wd's leaf spring with solid front axle.

Last edited by Hillhound; 05-30-2003 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Nick D.
If you never plan to leave the pavement, don't live on a hill with a long lane, never pull stumps, drive in snow, drive on icy snow, drive on ice or out of ditches after trying to drive on ice, or pull out a friend who's stuck, then buy a 4x2.
Thats why I bought the 4x2

My buddy bought a 4x4 Tacoma and bitched about it the entire time he had it for service costs, fuel costs, etc.

the 4x2 comes with LS rear anyway, goood enough for any of my needs.

Old 05-31-2003, 06:14 PM
Nike D. wrote If you never ever want to do any of the above then get the mini van with a short trailer.

Been there, done that with the mini thingy and they stink at trailering anyway...unibody etc...

Good one.

Old 06-01-2003, 12:35 PM
I can't help myself...If I could use the "D" word on this BBS I would say, "bikenut, 'D' word thats a fine looking truck!"

Old 06-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by ksystems
I can't help myself...If I could use the "D" word on this BBS I would say, "bikenut, 'D' word thats a fine looking truck!"
Thanks, It will be nice when I get a lift to make it look like a 4x4

If money were no object when I bought my truck, I would have gotten the FX4 just for the coolness

Quick Reply: 4x4 versus 4x2