F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

turbo monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question turbo monitoring

Hey folks. I just purchased a new f250 crew cab 6.0L deisel and was wondering about monitoring the turbo for temp and boost and was wanting some info from those in the know about this stuff. It is my first deisel and I want to take good care of it since it will be the main transportation and the family truckster for long vacations pulling a 31' travel trailer. I have checked out some gauges from different manufacturers but what to monitor and why is the question? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:47 AM
turbo boost and temp are not much of a concern in these trucks, now in a little race car like a vw golf tdi built to run that is different but your main concern should more be along the lines of getting the correct spec oil and having it changed according to your driving habits or putting on a bypass filter and having the oil analyzed on a regular basis. for what it is worth many of the vw guys with bypass filters regularly go over 40k between oil changes and get the oil analyzed every 5-7k miles. a boost gage would be easy enough to hook up but in a pulling truck it would just be something extra unless of course you chip the truck and then it might be nice to have to make sure you are not getting too much boost.

Old 05-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have made plans for a few mods. Probably after the breakin period. The normal stuff like Exhaust, intake, and a chip or programer. With these things in mind I started to look down the road for gauges. I just like to plan ahead, way ahead.

Old 05-30-2003, 11:57 AM
If your truck is bone stock, you dont have too much to worry about as the computer keeps close watch on things...

BUT, a good Trans. temp. gauge, Boost and EGT Gauge are always a good thing! Check out www.dieselstop.com for TONS of info. on your truck.

Congrats on the new truck! Enjoy!

Old 05-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Lol, we replied at the same time

You should definately get some good gauges with your intentions. Im in the same boat, just waiting for a few more disposable $$

Old 05-30-2003, 01:35 PM
What milage do you get with your mods? Right now I'm getting 18. But this only the second tank.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:13 PM
give it some time, with proper break in, you are doing a proper break in aren't you, it can take up to 40k miles to break in a diesel engine but it will be well worth it if you do it right.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:44 PM
ya, it takes forever to break in a PSD

Im getting anywhere from 11mpg (towing 8K) to 20mpg (to/from work only)

Mostly, bout' 17 somthin...

Old 06-02-2003, 10:05 PM
If you are towing, I would have guages on mine, I had 6-7000 on mine over the weekend, and with my temp reduction mods I was hitting 180 on the ttrans and 1200 on the turbo temp...which in my opion was right at the limit of the temps...I would get the guages for baseline as well, so you know where you run normally, and then for diagnostic purposes, if you are outside your normal temps...Just me...$600 is little money on a $40000 truck...Good Luck..

Quick Reply: turbo monitoring