F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

What is this worth

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this worth

Hi guys and gals, local lot has a "new" 2002 (not 2003) f250 Powerstroke xlt 4x4 crewcab... with the Regency conversion package on it.. but it has 2500 miles on it.... they said they would entertain any offer, however the dealer said if he had to guess they would let it go for 43... I was like right I can get an 03 lariat for same money.. and lariat is in my oppinion a little nicer... whole reason for me looking at the 02 is to save a serious chunk of change.. any way what do you guys think this truck should cost

Thanks
Chris

Old 06-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm really not sure...

Might use a resource like www.kbb.com or www.nada.com to get a better feel on what to offer.

I'd definately start out with a 'low ball' offer though. You can always work up but, if you start too high, you'll always wonder if you could've gone lower.

RP

Old 06-08-2003, 05:27 AM
They ain't goin get that for it...

I would give them 30k for it...Dealers??!!

Old 06-08-2003, 07:34 PM
The addition of the conversion package makes it tuff to tell. Do you know the original MSRP on the truck. What does the "Regency" coversion consist of? You also said it's "new", but with 2500 miles. Has it been titled, or does it have dealer miles on it?

I would agree that $43k is way high. You can get a decked out '03, 6.0L and all for less than that.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:10 PM
$43K is never a fair price to pay for such an old truck. But you asked (I'm not sure why). I smell lecture!

A dealer cares not what you overpay. A dealer is in business to make a profit. A dealer is not interested in being fair. Why would any of us ever think that there is a fair deal to be made? The only deal is the one you make. There is nothing fair either way. Just a transaction. The price is whatever the market will allow. You and the dealer ARE the market. Simple enough.

There are a finite number of customers out there. Some are too timid to say no. Dealer only needs one timid customer to make a better than average profit. If you value your money more than your lust for that truck, just stand your ground. Say nothing except to offer a price. Silence is painful but your best leverage is to only offer a price and say nothing more.

Every question you answer is amunition for the dealer. His salesperson is trained to keep asking questions about how "much you want to pay?"... "What are you looking for?"... "Where did you come up with that price?"...whatever.

You may feel obligated to answer his questions but you must know that every effective salesperson, including myself, has been trained to use a method of overcoming objections by asking questions and challenging assumptions in order to wear you down...

An absolutely absurd price is given to make a less but still absurd price seem reasonable.Ever notice how used cars are priced close to new ones by used car dealers? We expect people to be reasonable even if they fudge a little and dealers know this so they pitch way high.

You will never know what the dealer really paid for the truck. Period. You only have your patience to find out how good a deal your can really make.

Just know that if the dealer is tired of waiting for the timid to show up, he's going to let it go eventually. He won't let it go if he can't afford it. But that can mean different things to different dealers. He may offset a loss on one with a killing he just made on some timid soul who just overpaid.

If he's taking a loss - that's none of your business. You are trying to save money. Your money, not his.

Even if he/she is your friend, all bets are off in the showroom. The dealer is NOT your friend.

The only thing to offer is a price. Everything else is none of his business. Give him 2-3 hours tops. Wear THEM down. Be prepared to walk away. There is always a better truck, a better deal down the road.

P.S. None of this is original. Its basically said in many different ways in many sales guides. Easier written than said; easier said than done. Every customer is an amateur trying to make a deal with a pro.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by F150Sven
The addition of the conversion package makes it tuff to tell. Do you know the original MSRP on the truck. What does the "Regency" coversion consist of? You also said it's "new", but with 2500 miles. Has it been titled, or does it have dealer miles on it?

I would agree that $43k is way high. You can get a decked out '03, 6.0L and all for less than that.
wow glad people are responding... keep em coming..

the truck has never been titled.. it is "new" truck with 2500 dealer miles.. which too me kinda sucks but same time is a lot of leverage.. the leather is showing wear at the seams where they didn't take care of it. He said something along lines that MSRP was 48 but I doubt it.. they don't put window stickers on the conversions at this lot.. he said the conversion is a 10k add on... I told him it wasn't worth that too me.. it consists of Leather seats with regency stitched into them.. and a center console.. (which the factory Ford one is better and I would want to change it to a Ford one later), also has wood trim.. (real wood not the plastic stuff.. but once again don't really care about that)..the dealer added some nice wheels and some nitto tires (they look impressive don't know if they are any good)... just want a great deal...I have a while to let that truck sit a bit before I buy.. still waiting on an insurance settlement... if it is there when the $ comes then I'll make an offer, but trying to figure out what to offer...

Thanks again and keep em coming

Old 06-09-2003, 02:04 AM
ksystems--excellent article and info...

Its one of those, that they throw some add-ons ona nd makes up the truck 10-13k...rediculous!!!

Look at it this way, buy a brand new(no mileage) truck have 10-13k in your pocket, for mods and you can get what you want or need...

You are going to mod it anyway,,, why not do it like you want instead of the way someone else did it?????

Good luck on your decision...

Old 06-09-2003, 11:50 AM
ctupton wrote the leather is showing wear at the seams

if its a 2002 why has this truck never sold? If its a demo its a used truck. What does not ever having been titled have to do with anything - miles is miles. I hate to see anyone pay more than they should. How long do you recon dealer's been trying to sell it?

If its a while, if it were me I'd offer him 20% off the 43K he mentioned so how about 34K? That's alot of cash for a used truck.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:16 PM
it seems alot to me. The 2004 will be out in a couple of months. Basically your buying a two year old truck. If the dealer hasn't sold it yet I doubt someone will ****** it up real quick. As was said earlier yo can buy a nice 2003 for less than what the dealer is asking for this truck. My opinion, if you don't care about the wood, your going to replace the center console, and the leather is showing signs of wear, skip this truck and buy one that has what you want, in new condition. If the new truck is the same price as the 2002 I don't see where you'd save any money.

Last edited by 1depd; 06-09-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:18 PM
They told me that they would get me new seat cushions from regency.. but I think when money comes in I'll offer 30k... I think that would be a good deal... Kbb says a 2 year old one should be 32k.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:43 PM
43K and getting new seats with some decent wheels, STEP away from that. Like everyone has mentioned you can get new for cheaper. A 10K dealer conversion that is only eye candy at best, think of what you can do aftermarket with 10K or better yet what 10K can do in an account.
Also 2500 dealer miles? I wouldn't buy a dealer used vehicle, I would bet money that is an abused 2500 miles. I remember one time when I owned a Ram, (forgive me) the service manager actually had the cajones to ask me if he could drive MY truck home to make sure nothing was wrong. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him NFW.
You can do much better new!

Old 06-10-2003, 08:35 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:55 PM
I wish, but I don't have an x-plan pin number.. I wonder what xplan would be on a truck like it..

Old 06-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Let me know all the details of what you want and I can let you know the X-plan price.

OR, you can just go to www.kbb.com and price it out and it will show you invoice then just add 4%

Old 06-10-2003, 09:15 PM
If I were to buy an 03.. then I would like the F250 PSD crew cab short bed lariat.. but Lariat might be 2 much (xlt) won't know until Lawyer calls (I hate waiting hehe) crash happened in Jan, still waiting ..

Quick Reply: What is this worth