F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

put new shocks on

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put new shocks on

I had heard that the first thing you do when you get your truck is to replace the stock shocks. I have about 80k on my truck and when I read that thread, I figured I'd better change the shocks. Anyway, I was going to put Edelbrock all around. The front shocks were available, but the rear were backorder around the middle of July. So I don't know if I did the right thing, but I put the Edelbrocks on the front and went with bilstein (sp) on the rear. When I took the rear stock shocks off, they acted like a shock should act and the pistons extended out on both of them. so I replaced them. When I took the front shocks off, the pistons did not even move - on either of them. I couldn't even pull the piston out myself...do you think they were shot??? So this morning on my way to work, man what a difference. I had no idea the ride would be so smooth.

runnert

Old 06-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Here is my opinion on you choice. When I bought my first truck Reg Cab 1995 F-150, I rode stock for 3 months then went to a set of Rancho 9000's. I bought a set of Edelbrocks the first month the hit the market. Nothing but trouble with the fronts. Went through 3 sets (under warranty, but what a hassle) over the next 3 years before I went back to the Ranchos. Now I have a 2003 Crew Cab F-350 4x4. Just got done with a 6in lift and went with dual Bilstein 5100's in front an singles in the rear. Could not be happier with the Bilstiens. So my advise, for what you paid for the Edelbrocks, I would have upgraded to Bilstein 5100's or even better 7100's.

Old 06-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Mike,

I did not buy these blindly, I did a lot of research here (didn't find much) and at the Dieselstop.com. I seemed to find more threads in favor of the edelbrock over the bilstien. As I drive them, them seem to feel better. I hope I don't have any problems with them - hopefully they have the bugs worked out. I will let it be known if I have any problems.

runnert

Old 07-11-2003, 10:09 PM
F-250 with Rancho RSX

I was telling my pal who has a diesel F-250 how happy I was with my Edelbrocks on my F-150 and so when 4wheel parts had their buy 3 get the fourth free sale he bought a set of Ranco RSX's. I put them on for him and he is very happy except that he made the observation it doesn't go around corners as well now. Not as flat, he says. Overall, he is very happy with them. I could tell a difference from the passenger seat, they are very nice and the ride is really well damped.

Old 07-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Bilstein.......Bilstein.........Bilstein read my post in suspension i love em

Old 07-16-2003, 05:07 AM
I am partal to Rancho, because I am a streeter...The Bilstein is an offroad rebound shock(excellent though)...the Ranchos are adjustable and will give the best ride except for the IAS(which had a lot of problems early)

My truck is one of the better riding 250 diesel trucks there are out there...255/85-16 tires have plenty of sidewall(ride quality), rancho shocks..removed the overload spring(less harsh)...

They are all great manufacturers, it all boils down to the application and what you are trying to accomplish with the vehicle...

Enjoy them all...

Old 07-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Edlebrock IAS!

Old 07-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Rancho RSX

I told you all about the RSX's I put a buddy's Superduty and he was over here the other night and said that if he had the old ones he would put them back on. Wow. He said he doesn't like how it goes around corners with the RSX's. Especially gradual corners where he says that the truck leans a lot more. I told that was the shock trying to give a smooth ride and they were a lot stronger shock than stock and would be better especially when he tows. I don't think he is very happy with the RSX. I would've have gotten the 9000's with the sale they had but he wouldn't go for them. Oh well.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:38 AM
The RSX's, aren't they the 9 way adjustable??? If they adjust dial in some dampning...

So he says it sways too much???

The Bilsteins dampen rebound big time, but they are rough, these are the ones he is looking for it sounds like, but are too rough for most people...

I guess he has a 4X4???

After reading the post, the shocks dampen movement, if the lean is gradual in the corners then he needs larger stabilizer bars..leaning doesn't have to do with shocks...Stabilizer bars will prevent lean in corners...

Good luck explaining to him...

Old 07-22-2003, 10:55 PM
I had Rancho 5000's on my old 97 F-150 and it decreased the corner sway alot. I could take a tight corner alot faster with much less body roll.

When the $ comes handy, I will put on RS-5000's or RS-9000's on my 02 F-250 4x4 to match the front RS-5000 steering stabilizer.

MY $0.02

Phil

Old 07-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Mach1
The RSX's, aren't they the 9 way adjustable???
Nope - that would be the RS9000x. The RSX is not adjustable at all.

Old 07-23-2003, 05:18 AM
My bad JD..got confused, glad you corrected me...

I am glad you are back and didn't hold it against me...

What do you think about the stab bar preventing sway???

Old 07-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Mach1
My bad JD..got confused, glad you corrected me...

I am glad you are back and didn't hold it against me...

What do you think about the stab bar preventing sway???
Haven't been gone - just not as helpful lately.

I can definitely tell a difference in my '02 (w/rear bar) vs my '00 (w/out rear bar). It feels much more stable cornering with it (same shocks on both trucks).

Old 07-28-2003, 05:43 AM
Come on JD, talk is cheap, and we have such little time here, just take it with a grain of salt...

Quick Reply: put new shocks on