F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Great Summertime Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Summertime Mod

I just finished installing a heater core shut off switch to get my AC colder. Just a little over $15 bucks to do and maybe 20 minutes of time and much better cooling performance. I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone here. Has anyone else done this and if so, did it improve your cooling? I should have taken temp readings of before and after vs the subjective reading. Here's to a cold one.

Old 07-12-2003, 10:04 PM
On FTE they talk about doing this mod. They say that they do see differences with their A/C temps. I have been thinking about doing this mod myself, but haven't really seen a parts breakdown as to what I would have to buy. Do you have any pictures of the install? Or a step by step instruction?
I know that I sure as hell would appreciate it! It's hotter than a snakes *** in a forest fire down here in AR during the summertime. Anything to make my A/C colder would definately r0x0rs!!!!!1!

Old 07-13-2003, 08:43 PM
It has most definitely made an improvement in the cold air performance. Nice and cold now. I don't have the part #'s handy. I did take some pictures but don't have the procedure written up yet. If you do a search over there you can easily find it. If not give me a couple of days and I will get it written up for you. I have been working on remodeling my kitchen for the last week and still have some left to do.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Here is some crappy pics, still working on the kitchen but taking a break.

The first pic is the vacuum line connections. Remove the glove box and you will see this on the left side. You want either one of two lines. The red line will stop the flow of coolant in all settings except for defrost and defrost/floor. The white will only stop the flow while in Max AC setting. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull your selected line out of the top of the connection. It comes off very hard.
When you have it off connect a short 3"-5" piece of 1/8" vaccuum line to the connection block and then to an 1/8" "T". Connect the line you removed to the other end of the "T". Finally connect a long piece of vacuum line 6'-8' to the bottom of the "T". Run this through the grommet on the right hand side of the fire wall by the fuel cut off switch.

Next under the hood cut the coolant line that runs along the passenger side of the motor. You can't miss it. Install the "Ranger Heater Shutoff Valve" AutoZone PN# 74612 into it and clamp securely. Run the previous vacuum line you brought through the firewall up to the shutoff valve and connect.

Enjoy nice COLD AIR.

Old 07-16-2003, 04:52 AM
I used a brass cutoff valve to stop the flow of hot coolant to the heater core, its a manual type at Depot for less then $10...5/8"barb fittings..My temp out of the vents are usually 40 degrees, although I have seen 38 degrees...I have the whole A/C system wrapped with foil/insulation, tinted windows, gutted the interior and sound proofed/insulated interior...Undercoated all the exterior surfaces...All kinds of mods here...

The music stays inside as well, and the road noise stays out as well...

Old 07-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Yep the brass valve will work just as well. The vacuum shutoff valve just allows you to not have to open the hood to get/not get heat or cold, depending on how you look at it.
The valve, hose and T cost about $16 total.

Old 07-20-2003, 05:23 AM
R3, we in Texas use our heaters like 2-3 months of the year, so I dont have to mess with it that often..

I like the vacuum idea, it just doesn't cover all the bases as well..

You are right about not going under the hood as much though and that is worth a bunch...

Both work well...

Quick Reply: Great Summertime Mod