F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Over heating

My dad has a '93 F350 Diesel, CC, Dually, with the 7.3 non-turbo.

He was in AZ about a year ago, and put a hole in the rad. After that he had to have the rad., head gaskets, starter, and inj. pump, replaced before they left with the 5th wheel.

Now he can't go over 40MPH with the trailer. He was able to do 60MPH before it would get hot. All this started after the over heating.

The rad. cap was just replaced,( it may have been replaced with the other work, but its not on the work order.)

He also just had the fan clutch replaced ( get it from Ford if you need one, its $130-140.00. NAPA was $360 with the discount I get from work) and belt.

He wants to do the water pump next, but I wanted to check with you guys first.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:58 PM
I don't really know how much this would come into play here, but just something to throw around. At work I run a 90 F250 with a 5.8L and a service box on it. It spends alot of time in the field idling. Its been through a couple different radiators trying to keep it cool and even with a big 3 core rad it would still overheat after a while. This last winter we had someone come in and put in a whole new AC system and now it will only get hot if you have the AC cranked not moving in 90* heat. Its something that I never really would have thought of but the old system must have been that plugged so it generated enough heat under the hood and it was too much for the cooling system. Just to let you know how hot it would get (this is at 3am in 60-70* temps so it wasn't all that hot outside) I once fried an egg on the hood.

Just an idea if all else fails since it'd be $1000+ for a whole new system. I'd look at the water pump first and then see if that fixes it since its a cheaper fix.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:33 PM
What get me is, he never had any problems before the trouble in AZ.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Might be that the jar to the rad dislodged some crud in the system and it created a blockage somewhere causing problems with fluid flow.

Quick Reply: Over heating