F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

5.4V8 or 6.8V10???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be as arrogant as I damn well please thank you very much. And btw, the tone of my response was in the same tone as Your post I was responding to, so you get what you give. Actually, it sounds like a little bitter taste about an underpowered truck maybe???

That said, a 4x4 vs. 4x2 is a sorry analogy to a power comparison in a SUPER DUTY truck. Additonally, we're talking $600 not $4000.

My points were all valid.

And no, the V-10 will not wear out faster than the V-8. Actually, the 10 working easier will probably last longer regardless of gearing.
Not to knock the 5.4L which is a great motor, but do you see how many people here with F-150s are doing mods. to improve performance? Now put that motor in a much heavier truck that is made to do more work. Does that make sense?

Think about this:

How many people do you think would be willing to buy a 5 year old SD with a 5.4L when the resale value is only $600 less (per KBB) than the V-10???

BTW, why dont YOU do me and all of "US" a favor and not speak for everyone else.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:34 PM
This cracks me up. YOU didn't get a long bed, or 4 wheel drive because YOU probably don't need them...right? Well, some people don't NEED a V10 for a lot of reasons, same deal with a PSD. Some people are more practical than others. Is that so hard to understand?

Ford offers the 5.4 V8 in the Super Duty line of trucks because it is a great choice for people who want a heavy duty PU and just might need that extra 1-2 mpg that everybody talks about.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:00 PM
The difference between a PSD and a V-10 is another story and is yet another bad analogy to compare to the V-8 and V-10.

Yes, the PSD is only necessary for high demands, which is why I got it. The V-10 should be the standard for the SD trucks. You know as well as I that companies base model vehicles are underpowered in alot of cases and this is one. ~For cost savings.

whats the difference between a SD and a 150 interior other than an inch or two of width? So if you get a regular cab SD with Short bed, why not just get a 150? ego factor? exterior looks? I dunno, but the Super Duty is supposed to be just that; SUPER DUTY. And the 5.4L is not a good match for the trucks intended use.

>>All Im really saying, is that for a mere $600, its an obvious choice and I dont agree with giving a vary narrow personal opinion and have someone step into a truck and regret it shortly.

By narrow, I mean that: Yes, maybe for the guy who buys a regular cab, short box and neither tows nor hauls anything more than groceries the 5.4 might be just fine. But why the heck even have a truck, let alone a SD, at that point! LOL

If you're worried about the mileage, put on an exhaust and its all even.
If you're worried about the extra parts, well maybe you should be driving an 82' with carbs. and minimalistic design.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Speaking from experience of having both the "practical" truck a 4.2 5speed F-150 and now having more truck than I could possibly ever need( 4x4 V-10 CC LB). I will always tell some one to get a V-10 if they are looking at the gas option in a super duty.
Look through these forums and all you see is members asking how to increase their HP why spend more money on exhaust, a chip, a flashy intake when for $600 you can get the best motor mod possible.
I track by hand mileage for each fill up. This past few days tank got me 13.9 and that is with foot into. With mileage like that in my size truck, the question should be WHY SHOULD THE 5.4 EVEN BE CONSIDERED. If your going to buy a Heavy Duty pickup at least step up and get a motor to match.
Yes many owners of 5.4's are happy, but I would be willing to bet if they could wake up in the morning with a V-10 under the hood they would be much more excited.
I am not trying to force my opinions on anyone. It is their money so spend it as you like, but the upgrade to the V-10 is to practical to ignore.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by bikenut

Not to knock the 5.4L which is a great motor, but do you see how many people here with F-150s are doing mods. to improve performance?
According to your logic, perhaps the same thing could/should be said about both PSDs, the 6.0 and the 7.3. There is a plethora of chips, parts, bolt-ons available to increase the power of these engines. Furthermore, many PSD owners purchase more than one item to increase the performance of their diesel engine. Does this make them underpowered too?
As far as engines, people buy what they want/need. If the vehicle owner is happy with their choice, why should it bother someone else?

Old 08-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by WWBF150
According to your logic, perhaps the same thing could/should be said about both PSDs, the 6.0 and the 7.3. There is a plethora of chips, parts, bolt-ons available to increase the power of these engines. Furthermore, many PSD owners purchase more than one item to increase the performance of their diesel engine. Does this make them underpowered too?
As far as engines, people buy what they want/need. If the vehicle owner is happy with their choice, why should it bother someone else?
Ok you got me there But read Rugbys post

But as far as the second part, this thread is asking the question at hand so thats why were debating it. I dont give a hoot what anyone else drives, I have enough power for my needs

Old 08-02-2003, 05:52 PM
I Have the 5.4/3.73 Gears Supercab Long Box

It does everything I've required it to do

Towing 4500 lbs. Hauling 1500 lbs

& I've seen 18 MPG Hiway

Does the Job when needed & economy when Empty

Old 08-02-2003, 10:45 PM
cool, but a F-150 could easily do all that too...

Do you just like the look of the SD?
What was your reason for getting the SD?

Old 08-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Interior Space #1 &

Not worring about pushing the Limits, I Flattened the rear leafs of a Bodge W150 then the Tranny acted up

Never was a fan of Torsion Bars (IFS)

Old 08-03-2003, 10:28 PM
i would go with the v-10

Old 08-04-2003, 12:07 AM
Given the option of the V10 or the 5.4, I would go with the V10. Reasonable fuel economy and power when you need it, better resale, and you can still do mods to it such as chip/microtuner as well as a supercharger in the future.

Old 08-04-2003, 05:48 AM
I wish my 5.4 in a 150 got better then 16mpg...with 3.55's...never got better mpg..

I wont even get into the PSD Vs. V10...

Everyone on this boards mods their trucks, and usually for some type of power/driviability/fuel economy...

I would get the V10...

If I worked for Ford, the Super Duty would be that and something special, no half ton engine here...IMHO...

WWF150--You are being too nice!!!!!

And yes when you can 2X(double) the power and only lose 1mpg, I think someone is doing something right, and how can you resist that..(fror less then $2000)..

Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Red face

1500lbs in the bed, combined with a 4500lb trailer would make most F150's bumper drag.

I think V8-V10-PSD, 4x2 or 4x4, long or short bed is a great analogy. The point was (and still is) what are you going to do with the truck.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Thumbs up V10 no question.

having driven alot of 5.4 superdutys, I would say that they are definitely underpowered. Especially if you are going to work it. But why buy a SD if you are not going to work it. I think a 5.4 in a supercrew should be the base engine with a V10 option.
However if you do go with the 5.4, I'd go with 4.10 gears and a manual tranny, should do fine as long as you are not in a hurry.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:29 PM
i have a Screw with a 5.4 with 3.55 gears and it isjust fine in that truck but in a SD i would go with the V10 and not even think of the 5.4

Quick Reply: 5.4V8 or 6.8V10???