F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F-250 vs Chevy2500HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think hydroforming (for a given weight) is stronger than a traditional frame. However, a traditional frame can still be made stronger - What about the F450 frame? Not to mention the F750!

Old 08-13-2003, 12:52 PM
MACH1, my use of the term "stamped" was generic so it may be "forged" is more correct. Either way, the comparison is between old ways of forming frame members versus new. Ford obviously likes it cause its a big part of the marketing fluff for the 04 F150. So the thing is I just don't think you should throw out terms like 'Chevy's are weak framed" - it implies that they will literally bend or actually fail! I've not heard any stories of this happening to any make of prosumer truck. Unless of course your trying to haul and tow beyond engineered spec.

Ketch

Old 08-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Don't know if this helps but here goes. I was told a few years ago by someone who helped design the line for the plant to build frames that at that time dodge had the "better" frame. He however is a dodge fan so take that for what it is worth. On the other hand I have heard from welders on the lines that ford has the toughest specs to meet for their welds!
Just thought i'd share what i have heard.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Truck frames? DOdGe had big time frame problems in the '80s with their trucks. I heard this right from a corporate mouthpiece from the then Chrysler Corp. He stated that approx. 20-25% would have bent frames. Ever notice the '84-'88 or so DOdGe trucks lean down on the drivers side? You guessed it, bent frames. This was acceptable to CC at the time too. The new GM hydroformed frames DID have some problems when the trucks were introduced. That was/is common knowledge on truck boards. Lots of driveline problems, vibration, etc., related to this problem. Hopefully, it's solved by now.

Old 08-17-2003, 06:01 AM
Ketch, oh, just cause Ford is going to start using the hydroforming on the 150's doesn't mean the SD frame still isn't the strongest frame out there...It doesn't even mean that hydro is best...Could it be that hydro is cheaper??? cause this is why they usually change manufacturing processes...because of cost...

I can just about assure you that when Ford redoes their truck the frame will get changed..I bet it costs a fortune to make those frames...

Thanks wwf150 for the backing on the common knowledge of the hydroforming frame problems...I thought it was common knowledge...

Old 08-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by WWBF150
Truck frames? DOdGe had big time frame problems in the '80s with their trucks. I heard this right from a corporate mouthpiece from the then Chrysler Corp. He stated that approx. 20-25% would have bent frames. Ever notice the '84-'88 or so DOdGe trucks lean down on the drivers side? You guessed it, bent frames. This was acceptable to CC at the time too. The new GM hydroformed frames DID have some problems when the trucks were introduced. That was/is common knowledge on truck boards. Lots of driveline problems, vibration, etc., related to this problem. Hopefully, it's solved by now.
The Chevy's still have the problem with driveline, vibrations etc. I know cos I used to have one. I hear the 2003's still exhibit the same symptoms. I wish GM would get there act together and fix the problem.

As for the Ford's, I still think they are a physically tougher and stronger truck than the Chevy's. I am talking the "frame" only.

My 02 cents.

Jag

Old 08-18-2003, 04:48 AM
How come you guys know this but its not general knowledge??

I thought GM's hydroformed frame was top dog..

Quick Reply: F-250 vs Chevy2500HD