F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Results from Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Results from Dyno

I bought a used 1999, F250, 7.3 Diesel on Sunday. I took it to the Dyno today, and you might find my findings interesting.

Base Line:
212 hp
455 tq

After tunning:
297 hp
601 tq

Total in crease:
85 hp
146 tq

What do you think? Are these good numbers? Anyone else chip/dynoed their trucks yet?

Old 08-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Those are some pretty good numbers. The advertised numbers for '99 where 235hp and 500ft-lbs so your truck was putting out good numbers stock. Which chip did you go with?

One thing to consider if you are going to do any towing would be to get some guages to watch exhaust and tranny temps. You don't want to roast a turbo or burn up a tranny with that new found power.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:34 PM
The stock numbers where to the fly wheel, so I was kind of pleased to see the results to the tire so close. I am using a flash program from JMS chips. They setup the truck on the dyno. I am going to put a boost gauage to see what kind of numbers I am turning. I will have to look into going the rest of the way it sounds like. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:48 PM
150ft lbs..pretty respectable...any other things or just chip???

You might consider a set of guages...

The exhaust should always be done first...

People always go for the chip-biggest bang for the buck..

Good luck with it...

Old 08-10-2003, 10:33 PM
The only thing we did was the flash. When you say exhaust, are you referring to new muffler, and tips? When I changed my exhaust on my "L", I lost 2/10's on my time slip. I put the stock back on and picked it back up. I figured this truck would act the same as well.

Where did yall hook your exhaust temp gauges at? Where did yall hook up the boost and trany gauges? I am going to try to install these this coming weekend. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Sounds like someone steering you wrong direction, the exhaust on a stock PSD will barely flow, to create power...To reduce EGTs, gain power, get turbo spool faster, more power, etc...

Its so easy to sell chips, It should be illegal to install a chip first..

What happened to the old thought of starting at the intake and exhaust first...

The EGT thing is to measure the exhaust valve temps, the way I know to do this is to mount the probe as close as possible to the valves, I drill and tap the manifold right by #8..the trans is easy, either in the Mag Hy-tec or by removing the line pressure port plug...the boost is to either drill and tap the intake or by teeing the MAP line..

If I were you, I would explore that exhaust side a little more...and dont believe what I say, use your EGT's to prove it...before and after...Then tell us what you learned...Good Luck...

Old 08-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the info. What exhaust would you suggest go on the truck? I am not looking to make alot of noise. Just want the results.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Here's the best thing you can do. Go directly to www.thedieselstop.com. You will probably find answers to most of your questions in the forums before you can ask them. Most of what we are telling you is probably regurgitated from there anyway!

Old 08-11-2003, 09:52 PM
I would stay with a 3.5 DP...for the level of performance you are in... You can have the performance from the exhaust without the noise, mine is within 2 decibals of stock at idle, but still can flow up to 400hp..You also want to decrease your EGT's...

Yes, its a good idea to ck out the other website, because of what some people will try to tell ya...Like the chip reflash first...or to go read other people opinions...I on the other hand do this for a hobby and dont detour people to the wriong places...

The first performance mod for the diesel or any Internal combustion engine is to open the intake and exhaust...

Some people practice Mods and some people read about them..I install and modify Ford diesels. Good Day...

Old 08-12-2003, 04:05 AM
I was not trying to steer anybody wrong and maybe get a little harsh sometimes, but there is a bit of 101(basics) here in the truck mod arena...

I have more trucks come in that have chips installed in them, without exhaust, gauges, not even intake filter...

There are a bunch of fly-by-night diesel performance parts sellers that are giving the rest of us a bad name and taking people for a ride...

I guess I have had a bad week from parts salesmen...I cant get the parts i need and even had to fire a couple of parts people this last week...The junk people try to sell..

Old 08-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Mach1,

I was hoping your last post was one after a bad day. I felt a lot of negativity eminating from it.

You've got to admit 87/146 are a pretty good numbers with all else stock. Like I said before, he needs to get some gauges to make sure his EGTs are not critical especially while towing. This will determine how critical getting the exhaust and intake mods taken care of. I agree that a well thought out plan would be to take care of the intake and exhaust first, then get the power adders, especially custom tuned chips, but to rag on the guy because he didn't do it the way you would of isn't very professional and won't create a very good image for your business.

I pointed him towards that "other" website so he could learn some of the basics. There is a lot of good info there and not everyone is out to make a buck off the unsuspecting.

Hope things get better at your business.

Good day.

Old 08-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the imput that yall are giving me. I am listening, because this is my first diesel. BUT! This is not my first car/truck that I have ever messed with. Rule of thumb, in the old day, was to do all the modds you want, and to chip it last. This was kind of crazy to me, because you would never get around to chiping your ride if you went with this theory. I am within 5 miles of my local tuner/dyno. I can reprogram and dyno this truck anytime I would like it done.

With that said, my guages will be in tomorrow. I am going to install them asap. I have been reading on the sites about TIT and TOT on the exhaust guage sensor. Has anyone got a good tip on an easy place to mount it? Which one do you recommend: TIT/TOT? I have a boost guage coming in as well. Any good place for this one would be helpfull as well.

All your suggestions are heared, other wise I would not have posted for suggestions and comments. Thanks for taking the time to post a reply.

Old 08-13-2003, 05:05 AM
Sven..Yes getting the biggest bang for the buck, again, I state is not the way to start...He will see tomorrow when he gets his gauges on, how hot these will run...

If you read the other site enough, you too will understand that the chip is like 4th or 5th on the list..

Dont take my words for it, read the other site...I know, because I do this enough to know, and I guide alot of people down the road...I dont want to eat an engine because it was too hot...

Here again, I am not a parts seller, I am an installer/modifier...I educate people about their diesel truck, then we work together to establish a plan for modification...

I went back and reread the post, I didn't rag the guy, However I did state and will state again, there are alot of part sellers out there misleading people...A Hot chip is not the place to start on these trucks!!! But dont believe me, go to the other site and let them have a field day with you, if you ask them about putting that hot of a chip on a stock truck...

And about my business, I have all the business I can handle, problem is and this here again is a problem everywhere, is parts salesmen...Cheap parts, wrong parts, crap parts...

A parts man is going to sell you parts, he has no idea what is needed,,He sells parts..

BTW, I am not trying to rag anyone, just trying to do my best at explaining what is needed, when...

Enough of that already...

My opinion--What we are looking at are the hottest part of the engine--the exhaust valves..The part that removes heat from the CC's and the cylinders and pistons....

So, we want to monitor the temp of this part for reference and maximum...The best way that I know to measure these Exhaust valves would be to insert a probe in to exhaust stream right by the valve...I would(and do) drill and tap the exhaust manifold, and place the probe as close to the #8 cylinder...

I did not learn this from the other site, so it may not be valid by some peoples account...

I used to turn wrenchs some 30 years ago, and have been to numerous schools...I read a whole lot...

Now Lightnings...You have a very hot chip in your truck, IMO I would be very careful until you get your guages installed, when you do you will see how hot it is...

The boost guage goes on the MAP line(tee'd), or drill and tap the intake manifold, right by the intercooler pipe...stuff a rag in there first and then remove the rag and drag the cuttings out with it..

BTW, FWIW I am doing a set of guages on a 2002 tomorrow...Autometers Ultra-lites..

Sven, was this site lacking, by the people here?? alot of the good old people have left the other site IMHO...

Good Day People...

Old 08-13-2003, 07:32 AM
Mach1: Thanks for the tips. You would not happen to have pics of the hose I should put this boost guage on would you? Would you say the exhaust is the next mod, or the down pipe? Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Napa, sells the air brake hose(tubing) 1/8" $.26 ft...Works great...

Yes, to get the EGT's manageable opening the intake and exhaust is recomended...

By opening these, the mods will compliment the Chip...

You can do a custom system using an aftermarket dp or do a kit from jegs or summit, and replace the whole system...for $310..

With these mods you will be developing some good power...

Get a baseline on your guage numbers..and try to keep an eye on the guages...

Good Luck, and you will enjoy....

Quick Reply: Results from Dyno