F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Need short Propane lesson!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need short Propane lesson!!!

I have been hearing of people doing a propane kit, which is apparently like doing nitrous to a gas engine....I would like to know more about this, where to find, how to do, cost, any opinions etc...THANKS!!!

TT

Old 08-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Tommy, Tommy, Tommy...It can be done, but please be careful....To completely tell you the whole story we need list of mods and what you are trying to accomplish...Towing, Racing, etc..

Heres a low down...Propane is a fuel, it is fogged into the intake tract...The PSD 7.3 fuel systems leave much to be desired, and inadequate...Thats why the Fords are so propane freindly...

Because LP burns so cleanly, your oil stays cleaner longer...

Ok as far as the phsyics/chemistry goes...The LP is fogged in the intake tract and mixes with the air into the cylinders, As the piston comes up on the compression stroke the mixture is compressed, At approx. 14 to 1, or so the mixture auto-ignites...then at 17 to 1 the diesel is injected into now a flame front, (instead of just hot air from compression), this makes the diesel burn more efficiently...

Now heres the key point...by the LP exploding early, we have Extremely raised the cylinder pressures...So using this with a high hp chip, could be a mistake...Because the raised cylinder pressures and the advanced timing will detonate if you are not careful...

One thing you have going for you is, you have the forged rods in your 99...the Powered metal rods, used from 2001 and on, have not faired well with LP and hot chips..

Tommy, I can walk you through all the fine points if you want to proceed...I have setup several LP kits on the diesels, as well as the gasoline alternative...

I pay about $1 a gallon, but the fact that you are running both fuels together is a negative...I am at the break even point..So I get the 50hp and 100ft lbs.., and extended oil change intervals for free!!!!

When I change my oil at 5000 it is still translucent..I have to force myself to change it..

Good luck....

Old 08-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Talking Weeeeeellllll, let's see...

What I am trying to accomplish is basically for everyday driving. I drive mostly without a trailer, except when I am towing my loader, and I just want to be able to get through traffic, and merge etc at the speed I want, I hate waiting to get up to speed. Maybe a killer chip is sufficient, but it would be really cool for the passenger to say, damn, this is a 1 ton'!! Walk me through it, procedure cost etc!

Thanks!!!

TT

Old 08-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Tommy, I have a couple customers that have dually'as that are very fast!!!

Always start at the exhaust and intake, then if you are getting serious get the guages, before the four position chip, which you qualify exactly for, because you can change inbetween four positions WHILE driving...turn it down when you put a load on the truck, turn it up when running unloaded...

When you get here lets talk propane if you want to go faster, but by this point you should be blowing some people off the road....

If you want specifics on the exact manufacturers, I can send you the right way...Dont pay retaiil...EVERYone is wheeling/dealing right now, and there are alot of deals out there...Randy...Good Luck..

Old 08-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Talking Hook me up!

Yeah, lets go!

Old 08-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Tommy,

Go over to TDS and search on Propane. There are recent threads on propane and even NO2. If I remember, someone even talked about how NO2 is safer than propane as it's not a fuel etc.

Also a thread on PS2000 Propane.

Sure sounds fun.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Tommy, just remember to do al the basics before you get in alternative fuels/oxidizers/water injection...

Quick Reply: Need short Propane lesson!!!