F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

REBATEs friend or foe

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REBATEs friend or foe

This came up in another thread. Do rebates help you get a better deal?

1500 off seems good. Everyone round' here knows to try getting close to "dealer invoice." Hard drivers might even try to guess actual dealer cost after guessing kickbacks and other hidden incentives. I went in trying to make a deal on a 03 F250 6.0L and could not get the dealer down where I wanted. He kept saying "look, your getting this 1500 rebate already" blah blah. I'm like "hey, thats from Ford, you should take that off on top AFTER your best price" but he would'nt budge,, so I walked. He knows the rebate will bring in more prospects. Hey, everybody loves to think they're getting a deal. It total psychology.

So, I've got time but it got me to thinking that rebates are basically a big carrot on a stick. They make you think they are doing you a favor. But that $1500 is already baked into the price. IT will be interesting to see if the rebates show up soon on 04's. I'm going to try dealing on an 04. Personally I wish the whole "rebate" scam would dry up and go away but as long as people fall for it I guess it won't. Think about it.

Old 08-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Frankly, I'd say find another dealer. Guy's are getting8k-9k off MSRP on 2003's right now. Just need to find a dealer that's motivated to sell one now!

Old 08-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Hi Ketch

Like FR says, find one that will deal, is motivated etc. This could/may require alot time/patience on your part. Been my experience on new models/motors, dealers i saw weren't interested in dealing right then, took alittle while for the newness to ware off, then they would.

Yes, rebates get customers into showrooms, just like end of yr. clearances etc. Always been that way. Does work.

Only used rebate once, but ended up well, even thou truck i bought was 250mi. from home, got best price + rebate bonus. Oh, that was the 9th dealer i saw. Couldn't get bottom line price until i was almost ready to sign contract, that got hairy a few times

That was before the www. sites. Now i just price one ahead of time, dealer has same info. Does help to be informed, otherwise nothings changed, except unbelievable $$$ for new ride.

Good luck...OT

Old 08-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Ketch, A lot of it is the dealership. I traded a 2003 Mustang GT convertible and 2002 Tundra Limited in on my SuperDuty. I got 21K on the stang with only 2000 miles and 17K on the Tundra with 30K miles. Both trade in values were excellent compared to the price guides, especially the Tundra, which should've only brought about 15K. I got the Super Duty for about $37,500 after all rebates, the MSRP was $45,915. The rebates were my friend, the dealer did not even know about one of them until it was entered in the computer. I am happy.

I went to a volume dealer in the Tampa area, my local dealer would have never given me this deal.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:31 PM
thanks for the feedback. Although sometimes I wonder about being so well informed from these forums. Reading about the issues with the 6.0L makes me nervous. I've been over at TDS forums reading the neverending threads about the 04 changes but still don't know how you would be able to tell if your getting an a changed 04 engine or current.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:57 PM
quoting seacrow I got the Super Duty for about $37,500 after all rebates, the MSRP was $45,915

wow that seems pretty good. Figuring the spread it looks to be about 18.3% off list. I've been shooting for 17-19% off list as my target.

good job on getting a great deal and congrats on your new ride.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Thumbs up

Ketch,

My MSRP was close to 43,000 and I got mine for 35,600 back in January. But it took like 3 months of talking ,I think they got tired of seeing me They told me that they lost money to get me that good of a deal

So don't give up just tell them the price you are willing to pay and stick with it DO NOT BUDGE. Go in every day and offer the same deal sooner or later they will get sick of seeing you. And you can see how many units they actually move.If they sit on some for a while they are more apt to deal.My dealer likes 90 days and then they start trying to move them That is when I buy.

Last edited by XanMan; 08-25-2003 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Nice Truck....

Old 08-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks Mach1

Old 08-29-2003, 01:34 AM
I think I'm backwards, I just about always go for the good financing rates. They can't say I'm gettin the rebate and I normally save the rebate+some from the lower intrest rate.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:00 AM
IMHO, I feel that rebates are a double-edge sword. I have traded more cars in the last 4 years than probably just about anyone (current F150 is #7 in the last 4yrs #3 in the last year) Just call it searchin for the right fit I guess. Anyway, I found my baby, yep I will keep this one till the tires fall off, then I will get a new set and drive her some more. I LOVE MY TRUCK! Anyway, back to the point at hand. If you have ever noticed resale values and trade-in values on the various cars and trucks out there the ones that hold their value best are from companies that offer little or no rebate at all. My point is this. When is the last time you saw Honda offer any rebate on any of their cars? (never) Toyota? Ok they offfer little bity ones typically not over $1500 and sometimes as small as $250. Anyway my point is this. Check out the trade in and resale values of a Honda that is average to low miles 1-2yrs old versus another companies close comparison model that offered say oh a $2000 rebate. You will notice that the one that offered that sweet get you in the door rebate carries about the same amount as the rebate given in excess depreciation. The reason for this I would guess is the frame of mind that th guy that goes out looking for his new current year wheels thinks to himself "Why buy this last year model for x amount when I can get this brand new current year close out for the same?" Thereby, this scenario takes away all that good benefit you got on the rebate if you have any plans of trading up to a newer model in the future. Oh, and may god have mercy on your soul if you decide you want to get out of that last years model and into that new Honda, Lexus, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Volvo, Prosche, etc etc no rebate given cars cause then you will see that what you thought was free money was not really free at all. I personally wish they would do away with rebates all together but yeah I took the rebate they gave me on mine and in all actuality got what I would consider a killer deal. MSRP was 28519.00 PAID 21182.00 tax included and oh yeah the dealer was walking a little funny after the deal.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:59 PM
XanMan

N
I
C
E

T R U C K

Old 08-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks Ketch

Old 08-31-2003, 09:34 AM
Guys, I picked up todays paper..A killer deal on the 250 CC...$30000...$7500 off Mrsp...

What a deal!!!!

Nice Truck!!

Old 09-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Reason for rebates #1 is to boost the down payment so the buyer can be given finance. Rebates should not be included in price haggleing. As you might find its better to take the rebate and finance with local bank. It all depends on what the balance will be after trade in and deposits are totaled.

Quick Reply: REBATEs friend or foe