F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

HUMMER compared to SuperDuty

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I don't think the SuperDuty would replace the Hummer, because the trucks and the Hummers are used for different things in military roles.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bighersh, nice story!!!

Old 09-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys!

Yep, me and Ol' Hummer go back a long ways....

I miss 'em sometimes....
What amazed me more than anything is, how can a vehicle so large, be so cramped on the inside. Talk about Leg space, you haven't lived until you break the 6'0" barrier, and have to sit in the back seat of a 4- spot Hummer. (They're all 4-seaters, even the two seaters- all it takes is careful removal of two panels, and to tailgate covers & gwalla-) Front seats are OK, back seat- fughettaboutit.

Wide enough for two zip codes, comfortable enough to double for a straight jacket.

Was still loads of fun, if taken in small doses.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:00 AM
Bighersh--have you tried the uparmored Humvees? They have a/c and the duct goes up the hump on the front passenger side. I could not move my legs with the door closed. The duct takes about 6-8 inches out of the width of the legroom and that with 38 inches of legs and the room disappears quickly.

Old 09-25-2003, 04:31 AM
No, I never tried those-

I saw the Marines had a version with the exhaust going out the top- I guess that was a fording kit option or something- if that's what you mean.

I don't recall the terminology "Up-Armored". Ours weren't armored at all. vinyl doors & roof, zip-up windows, and plastic door handles. Basically, a big jeep.

A Big-Badd Jeep.

I saw some units, depending in their mission , as well as Armor Officer's & MP's that were hard-top, with that turtle shell (See Blackhawk Down for example).

But, guys- don't think for one second that the H1 sold to civilians is anywhere near what we had. Not by a LONG shot. We had basic transportation, but they were FUN!!!

(Sept 25/2003)- OK, I saw something today- it was a civilian Hummer, but it was nice. Jet Black, with a hard top, and an agled cover over the bed, kinda like the military version, but with a much steeper decline to the top of the tailgate. Instead of the air intake being like it normally is (Passenger side, top of the hood) this thing had an extension on it that ran it up near the roof-line.

There are quite a few H1's and boo-koo H2's in Plano. I don't know if the civilian one I saw is called up-armored, but I'd never seen one before with the intake so high up.

PS- Please tell me that for $70,000 for the civilian version, this thing has A/C in it. That shouldn't even be a question at that price.

Also- 38" of legs? Jeezuz- how tall are you- 6'5", 6'6"? I'm 6'1"-6'2", and I had a tough time staying comfortable for long stints in a Hummer.

Last edited by Bighersh; 09-25-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:13 AM
Instead of the air intake being like it normally is (Passenger side, top of the hood) this thing had an extension on it that ran it up near the roof-line
-Bighersh

I think youre talking about a snorkel, really nice for going through hood level water.

ive never driven one of these things but i understand they come with a 185 horsepower 6.5 liter GM diesel. Could they make one with a Powerstroke? if they did i think id be in love......

After all, how many positive stories do you hear about a man and his chevy diesel....lol.... i dont think theyve been able to make a good one yet, but i suppose there is alot of difference with the military ones, does anyone know what modifications or what is different about this engine compared to the one found in pickup trucks? just curious....

Old 10-07-2003, 02:27 AM
oops

oops made a mistake and didnt read one of your earlier posts, bighersh, i thought i read somewhere before that it was a 6.5 but youre the one who drove em and ill take your word for it that its the 6.2 lol

Old 10-07-2003, 11:33 PM
The up-armored Humvees are the armored ones. They weigh in at about 12,000 lbs. I used to drive them in Saudi, it makes the sand feel like ice. Talk about fun, having a 12,000 pound monster sliding around....good thing I kept it out of sight of the boss. The only real problem with them is the lack of leg room on the front passenger side and they sink real quick.

They came with a/c and a good heater and the doors were not removeable. I guess the military figured the extra money for the armor was useless if you drove around with the windows open or the doors off.

Last edited by 1depd; 10-07-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:50 AM
Theres a 7.3 bolt in kit out for them...

They need some more power...

Old 10-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Studebaker XUV.

Old 10-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 1depd

Obviously the motoring public did not like the H1. If they did there would be more of them on the road, instead of the H2. the only thing the H2 and a military Humvee have in common is the bulider and they look similar.

First off the H2 is roughly half the cost of the H1 which IMO is the biggest reason you see so many on the road. how many $100K plus vehicles do you see everyday? Second thing is that the H2 is made by GM and the HMMWV (military hummer) is made by A.M. General, the original designer of the hummer. the H2 is basically a suburban frame/ running gear with a different body.

Old 10-14-2003, 04:01 AM
yeah But..

OK, I got out of Uncle Sam's employ in Nov. 1996 after 10 years.
At that time, we were still pushing the 150HP 6.2L Diesels. I don't know what teh newer hummers may have under the hood.

We had "Heavy HUmmers" in one duty station o fmine, but I don't recall engine displacement (I had 8 soldiers doing PMCS' for me by then!) :^) My team had 3 Hummers- 1 cargo & 2 heavy Hummers.

Hummer is made by AM General, but everything that makes it go is GM, and I think AM General is owned by GM as well.

Kinda like Ford owns Jaguar. I can't wait to tell a Jag XJ owner how much I like his new Ford.

So, if I said 6.5L before, I apologize. I meant 6.2L. Same engine that was in the CUCV's except with 5 fewer horses. (155 as opposed to 150).

I gotta tell you though. I bet 0-30 that Cargo Hummer M998 is as quick as 90% of the gas SUV's on the road. 31 - 60, that's a different story.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:45 PM
I cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that GM owns AM General, but I did go to the GM website (for research purposes only" and the Hummer is listed as a GM product. GM might not own the company but they at least have a "very" close relatinoship. As Bighersh stated everything of importance in the truck is GM and it is sold be GM. In GM's sales and production section of their website it lists the HUMMER as a division. To me it sound like it is a GM truck.

Also Ian Rennert, who owed AM General was looking at selling the company off in Feburary. At that time GM had an option to purchase 40% of the company. If they had that option there was some kind of relationship between the two compaines involving more than dealerships. Probably similar to the relationships of the Japanese car builders and the Big Three in the late '80's and early '90's.

All this brings up a tought--when Carol Shelby starts modifying Fords again how many of his parts does he have to put it to make it a Shelby not a Ford?

Last edited by 1depd; 10-16-2003 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:01 PM
my understanding is that AM Genreal is an independent company. GM owns the rights to sell Hummers and the Hummer name and all likenesses to the general public.

So last I heard GM does not own a controlling stake (I say that because its possible there was a stock swap in the licensing deal)

As far as engines... these need the be the same throughout the whole fleet of Hummers so when the thing breaks and goes to the motor pool, the same part fits all Hummers. At least in military uses. So regardless of whether this is the 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel, it will be that diesel in the Hummer for many years.

ANother reason to not expect a DuraMax in the Hummer anytime soon.... Japanese made engine (made by Isuzu) Thats a big no-no in defense contracts.

Quick Reply: HUMMER compared to SuperDuty