F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

early 03 6.0 or 7.3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
early 03 6.0 or 7.3?

Hey everyone - sorry for the long post!

I am close to making my buying decision and would like to solicit opinions.

A local dealer has seven or eight diesel 03 F250 trucks back from lease. I think these would all be less than a year old and most have around 16 - 20,000 miles. They are all loaded up Lariat Crew Cabs so the only thing to choose between them is the engine.

There are two with the 6.0. Of course I want the 6.0 for the new technology, the lower sound level, the power, and the transmission for towing. The 7.3 of course has the time test advantage.

If they have the 6.0L problems mostly licked would you go that way? Or do they have the problems beat? Or go with the proven 7.3?

The dealer wants about $ 1,000 more for the 6.0L version.

So... what would you do?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Old 10-05-2003, 01:13 PM
If its an early 6.0L I wouldn't touch it. Maybe the new builds are starting to come out of the problems, but the early ones I've seen and driven are a long ways from being fixed. One the guy is trying to get Ford to buy it back from him and the only success he's had is Ford HQ called him and gave him a bogus call back number. If you're choosing between an early 6.0L and a 7.3L, go with the 7.3 hands down. You'll have fewer problems.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:26 PM
The "fix all" flash came out today, but only a few dealerships have recieved them, it won't be til later in the week til the rest of the dealerships gets it.

Go to www.thedieselstop.com and look at the 6.0 forum to get a good idea, this question has been deliberated many times over.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Honestly I was a bit leary too, but didn't have time on my side, and I wanted the torqshift, so I got the 03 6.0. but it is NOT a lease turn in. It is new, and I also got the 5yr premium warrenty on top of the 3yr 36k bumper to bumper.
I would not get a 6.0 lease turn in - no way.
First of all, they don't lease these things for only one year, so that means somebody dumped it early. Secondly, you won't get the warrenty you would if you got it new.
If you must buy used, get the 7.3, otherwise make your best deal on a new end of yr model, and get the ESP on it.
I love mine so far!

Last edited by Andthensometoo; 10-06-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Of course the condition of the truck and how it was used and maintained is critical. Keep in mind though, there are a LOT of guys running early 6.0's with NO problems at all and they run stronger than newer ones. Ask the dealer for an Oasis on it and take it our and drive it looking for all the issues. See if they'll support you having an oil analisys done on it to see if there is unacceptable fuel contamination.

Do the stomp test, warm start test, drive it with tow/haul on empty and what ever else you can dig up. TDS has already been mentioned and if you can get past the BS you're bound to come across, you'll find a lot of good info.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Exclamation

i have a 01 F-350 powerstroke crewcab 4x4 and i havent had a single problem with it yet. I know if youre like me you love strong running trucks and this new 6.0 seems like one bad mother truck, but here is something you should consider. First, the 6.0 is a brand new engine, and like any new design, its not perfect. the older 7.3 has had years of time for Ford to work out the kinks, and even though the 7.3 isnt perfect, you still have many years worth of knowledge about this motor. if i were you, i would get a 7.3 and maybe trade it in in a couple of years for say a late 04 6.0 or even an 05 6.0, but i would wait for them to work out the kinks in this engine. second, just cause the 7.3 doesnt have the higher power that the 6.0 does, it still has the ***** to get the job done considering it is the most popular diesel, and 2 out of every 3 superdutys has this engine. third, ford says on their website that 98 percent of all powerstroke 7.3s are still out on the road today. ill admit id love to have one of those new 6 liters, but id rather know that my truck isnt going to have any big problems down the line. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: early 03 6.0 or 7.3?