F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

250 V10 5sp Manual rattle in shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250 V10 5sp Manual rattle in shifter

Hello All,

I have a 2001 V10 4x4 that, about a year ago, started developing a rattle (sounds almost like a mettalic baby rattle) coming from the shifter. From the driver's seat it sounds like it's coming out of the shifter ****. From the passenger seat it sounds like it's coming from the shifter base.

Pulling off the shifter **** doesn't get rid of the rattle, and it's not change in the ashtray

Here are some more facts surrounding the symptom:

1) Only happens when the engine is hot
2) Only happens roughly within the 2000-3000 RPM range, and under acceleration in gear (will do it a little if just revving the engine through that range, but not nearly as much as when actually driving.)

The local dealer here has replaced the Clutch plate and Throwout bearing, but that didn't fix the problem. They've ordered a new shifter assembly, but I have yet to see if that will do it. They haven't experienced this before (seems everyone on the island here has automatics), and have told me they may not be able to fix it. So, long road trips are going to be major pains with the constant rattle (yes it's pretty loud, relatively speaking).

Anyone had this happen before and gotten it fixed? If so, what was the fix, and do you possibly have the name of the dealer/repair place that fixed it?

Many thanks!

Last edited by jalberts; 10-15-2003 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:25 PM
It actually may be your heat shield making that rattle. The problem is typical of the V-10's but it's possible you could have the same thing. The V-10 seems to rattle about 2000 RPMS only during acceleration. Take a look under and you may find it loose.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:36 AM
Thanks, I'll have the dealer check that out.

Quick Reply: 250 V10 5sp Manual rattle in shifter