F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Getting a newer truck, thinking about a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting a newer truck, thinking about a diesel

I'm getting a newer Ford soon and have some questions about the Powerstroke. I have no experience with a diesel. I drive an '88 F-150, 302, 5-speed right now. It's a great truck with 188,000 miles but I'm tired of looking like a poor boy driving this old beater. I'm looking at about a '95-'96 (best years?) Powerstroke with auto tranny, 4x4, extended cab. The one big question here is cold weather starting. I live in mid Missouri and in the winter time, my truck could be outside at zero degrees covered in snow while I'm away from home. The gas engine in my F-150 will fire up at -10* just the same as if it was 110*. What can I expect from a Powerstroke? Will my starter soon have more miles than the engine?
How does the auto tranny hold up in this truck? I do some towing but I always drive easy and take good care of these things.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:32 AM
My dad has driven diesels for years in East Oregon where it can get as low as 20 below. He currently has an 01 powerstroke. The only thing you'll probably want is a block heater. That eliminates any possible cold starting problems. You could proably get away with it if you rarely went below 20 degrees, but if it were me I would have the heater just in case. Other than that they start right up. My dad always let his warm up for a few minutes before driving.

His current powerstroke is nice. It's got a good amount of power and enough torque to pull anything. He does have the manual trans wich I prefer with that big monster. My Bro in the same area has the same year engine with an auto and it feels a little sluggish in comparison. It will pull just as good, but feels sloppy on the shifts and acceleration.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
the powerstroke diesel is the way to go. all powerstrokes were sold with a block heater, except some that had a delete option. the powerstroke should fire up ok at those temps when using the block heater and the glowplugs. the only thing about the diesels in a colder climate like yours is you shouldn't leave it idle for long periods of time, i would go for it

Old 12-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope a diesel owner can confirm or deny this, but I dont think the 95 Powerstroke had the intercooler which means its not as powerful as the Powerstroke from newer trucks.

That being said, my cousin who gets a new diesel dually every 2 years since 90 told me that the non-intercooler Powerstroke has the fuel efficinecy of a V6 gasser. The 'Stroke with the intercooler is not as effienct and burns more fuel. I guess the extra power comes at a cost.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Simply put:

If you get yourself a 2004 Super Duty with PSD, you will Never go back to gas. Honestly, you will LOVE your Diesel!

Old 12-04-2003, 09:19 PM
only the superduty trucks have the intercooler the 94-97 powerstroke were all intercooler free. i don't know about them getting effiency like a v6 gasser. the intercooler lowers the tempuature of the compressed intake air after the turbo by 100-200* somtimes giving you lower exhaust gas temperatures allowing for the engine to use more fuel, creating more power. without getting too hot and burning up the turbo or cracking the pistons. all of the powerstrokes should get between 12-25 mpg and that is while creating more power than a gasser.

the intercooler can lower your boost but it lowers the temp

intercoolers=GOOD

Old 12-04-2003, 09:21 PM
PolarisPower500

Where are you from? Im from Fulton but i go to CMSU in Warrensburg.

In my opinion, get a 7.3 4x4. Youll love it

Old 12-10-2003, 05:24 AM
7.3 is the way to go... can you say 20mpg???

The oil companies from the artic prefer the cold operation of the Powerstroke over the Cummins...The Glow plugs work great..

The 6L just about has the bugs worked out as well...

Old 12-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Cool

I've been away from the site for a while but it's good to see replies to my topic. Green98, I also live in Fulton.
I haven't done much in the search for my next truck. I'm still ready to test drive a Powerstroke if I can ever find the one I want. That new F-150 is also super sweet. I will be sure to post any more questions I have before I buy and of course pictures after.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:10 PM
PaP
I've got a similar thread going here: https://www.f150online.com./forums/s...hreadid=140252 but it looks like it is headed here.

Old 12-28-2003, 04:39 PM
hey guys I am new here but thought I would throw my.o2 in

The powerstroke will start unaided (no block heater) at -25. It is best to plug it in when it gets that cold, there is a lot of voltage going thru that injector wiring harness and they like to fry.

The auto tranny is crappy(e4od), The 97 has upgrades over earlier years. Just plan on getting it rebuilt at Brians truck stop, then it will never go out ... no matter what you do to it

The '97 has the upgraded or "pink" injector o-rings. the earlier years are known to fail.

Water pumps like to go out in all psd's, so does the cps.

Funny thing I am going to sell my '97 extcab f250 and getting a 150. Sold my sod farm and getting a real job .

xsoddude

Old 01-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Put a new set of glow plugs in and a new relay and you wont have any problems out of them..

Old 01-31-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by bikenut
Simply put:

If you get yourself a 2004 Super Duty with PSD, you will Never go back to gas. Honestly, you will LOVE your Diesel!
I agree with bikenut; once you go diesel it's hard to ever go back to a gasser.

Quick Reply: Getting a newer truck, thinking about a diesel