F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biodiesel

Anyone ever use biodiesel or biodiesel blends in their Super Duty? Just curious about results. power? mileage? smell?

and for those not familiar with biodiesel, check out www.biodiesel.org

Old 11-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This was the first I'd heard of it. It definately presents some neat opportunities for the air that we breath.

I was scrolling through some of the case studies that are featured on that site and the numbers (pm etc) are very impressive.

Is this a push in LA or, more specifially, CA?

RP

Old 11-15-2003, 01:29 PM
it's actually taking hold more on the east coast and in hawaii. a lot of municipalities and bus systems around the country are beginning to use it. slowly, but it is catching on. hawaii uses it in their state park vehicles, for example. i heard about it because my company makes seals for a lot of diesel engines so we tested our seals in biodiesel about a year ago for compatibility. our seals are fine. but the only question with biodiesel is the seals. it won't affect metal parts any differently that diesel #2. the interesting thing is that it can be made from used fry oil or any other kind of vegetable oil or animal fat. the soy bean farmers are all over it. the National Biodiesel Board used to be the National Soy Diesel Board, but they changed the name to look unbiased. it was started by soy farmers however. only drawback right now is the cost to produce it, but that will change as demand increases and larger plants are built.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cost is definitely the biggest issue.

Same with adding ethanol to gasoline (keeps the corn farmers happy)

It makes a ton of sense. Soy and Corn farming can make a huge comeback.

To the best of my knowledge all of the municipalites using biodiesel are being subsidized by the federal gov't.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by J-150

To the best of my knowledge all of the municipalites using biodiesel are being subsidized by the federal gov't.
i believe you are correct. if they are not completely subsidized, the state and feds cover a big chunk of it. there were several bills in congress giving companies a write off on their fuel costs for using biodiesel blends. they could write offthe same percentage of their fuel costs as their biodiesel blend up to 20%. if they use 15% biodiesel blends they can write off 15% of their costs. pretty sweet for companies that use a lot of diesel. i believe the bill passed, but not sure. it was on www.biodiesel.org though.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:00 AM
I'm all for it. Same with the ethanol point I made above.

If farmers are hurting, here is a great crop for them. Soy beans! And Corn too! For fuel. If every gallon of fuel was mixed 20% with a crop based additive/replacement that would be that much less crude imported from the terrorist nations.

Even though Canada is now the number 1 source of crude for the US (damn Canadians)

And you thought we only shipped down half-assed comedians like Mike Myers and Jim Carrey!

Old 11-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Canadia is definately a terrorist nation.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:06 PM
hey... we gave Alan Thicke and Tom Green to you guys. If that ain't terrorism I don't know what is.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:52 PM
exactly. don't you worry we're coming for you. first Afghanastan, then Iraq, then Canadia.

Quick Reply: Biodiesel