F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

6.0 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Diesel

Hello everyone!
I have been a long time user of F150online. you guys have helped me alot over the past couple of years with my 97' 150.
I recently bought a 2003 F-350 w/6.0 diesel. I just gave it its first oil change. (pretty simple with the new diesel) and I noticed that it has a leak between the engine and trans. It seems to be comming from around the bellhousing. (automatic) will be taking it to the dealer for that one. but will keep you posted!!
Second.. had this truck for 3 months now and twice now had trouble starting again last night. it seems when it first starts its running on half the cylinders then dies. but crank it for awhile put the throttle down a little it starts but it chugs for a little bit but then runs fine (gonna check that one out too)
third..... Whats with the idle. revs up to a 1000 rpm than back down to normal than revs back up to 100rpm. Anyone else having simaler problems? I will keep this up to date now I have to find a good dealer around here. there really awfull. I would rather drive a 100mi to a good dealer than take it to my local dealer lol
Thanks ,Scott

Old 11-15-2003, 07:10 PM
You need to go over to TDS (www.thedieselstop.com). Ton's if information.

Sounds like you need to get the latest reflash. Also, the "bellhousing leak" is VERY common but has to stories. Some guys have actually had rear mains seals replaced. MOST, leaks are not leaks, but a "drip" from assembly oil. Appearently in assembly some used too much lube and it slowly drips, or just leave the bellhousing stain. Some dealers will use dye in the oil to prove that the drip is not a leak. Try cleaning it up and drive more and see what happens.

The hard cold start and idle surge or romp is also common. The latest reflash as well as late '03 6.0's eliminate the split shot, or primer injection so solve those problems. It could end up slightly louder at idle but runs better.

You having any MPG issues?

Old 11-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Welcome Scott!

Good info. from FR, plus ck. out link for TDS. Just read around, lots of info. Just remember don't get paranoid.

Mine had BH stain/residue inside and out. Pull the black BH inspection cover off and feel inside with finger. In my case after 4K, hardly any residue left, its just about dry. Hope that continues. Some have had actual drippers.

Engine idle changed when i did first o.chg. from 10/30 to 15/40.
With 10/30 as i recall the idle when cold would go up/down. With the 15/40, it dosent seem to idle up/down, but after a couple minutes, the high idle usually kicks in.

Haven't had any hard starting. I do get irractic romp/smoke since I changed to 15/40 o. It dosent do it everytime i start, but will do it on cold/warm/hot starts. I let the g.p. light go off, then i wait till the fuel pump stops. Sometimes that allows for a smooth start w/no R&S, dosent always work, hence irractic

That R&S may be fixed by a reflash, but so far im not willing to do that. Some have said they switched back to 10/30 o. for winter, no R&S. Think ill do same, soon. Im still on orig. settings/parts.

Seems this 6L is most sensitive to wt. oil. Dont know if any connection with your hard starting? New 6L comes w/10-30 o.

Good luck...have fun. OT

Old 11-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks Guys,
I will check out the The Diesel Stop.
Familyride I get 18mpg mostly city/country combined.
I guess I should have read my owners manual first. but who does that! it says in COLD WEATHER OPERATION. I cold weather below 32f your Diesel engine will slowly increase to a higher idel speed if left idling in park. As the engine warms up ,the engine sound level will decrease due to the activation of PCM-controlled sound reduction features.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Diesel