F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Thinking of trading in my 02 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of trading in my 02 5.4

I have a 02 S'Crew F150 5.4 FX4 and reading the problems with the tranny and blowing plugs makes me a little edgy. So I'm thinking of trading for a 03 S'crew F250, which is also the FX4, 6.0 diesel, leaning towards the 03 due to the 1.9 financing.

My question is after looking through some pages of postings here I haven't seen any post of repeated problems like the 150 has with trannys and plugs, is there any problems that any of you are aware of either with the 6.0 or the 7.3 and if you had the choice of the 2 which would you prefer and why??

Thanks, FM

Old 01-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi FM

Have you seen www.thedieselstop.com Ck. it out. Can be overwhelming/confusing. You probably know about that by now. Look for updates on 7.3PSD, lots of good people here.

I only have 5K mi. on mine, fortunately no real probems. My first diesel. Took me awhile to get used to difference between gas/diesel. 6L is quieter than 7.3L. at least mine still is for the time being. You'll have to read up on that one.

If interested in 03 6L, look for a late May 03 build date. Look for yellow? sticker on (FICM) top left side of engine. It will show the B/D.
Reason is, the fuel injectors were redesigned and only started showing up in May 03. If you can find one with later B/D, that may even be better.

Have dealer run an "OASIS" check. Using the VIN#, that will show any FMC authorized repairs done to that particular engine/truck.

Your probably figuring pros/cons. Take the time to do that. It's easy to perceive a problem, even if you don't have one. That's obvious by what one reads on these forums.

The new tq. a/t with tow/haul has been very good for me. That was the weak link in my 99. When in t/h mode, just leave it there. It dosent eliminate o/d. The t/h also helps hold load going down hill. If you hit brakes, it will auto. shift down. I dont think the 7.3PSD a/t has that feature.

Sometime ago, I realized that all engines/trucks are not created equal. When you get a good one, no problems, it's best thing going (not brand specific either). If you have problems, it's just the opposite. JMO!

If your towing, you want regret it. My first tow with it

Good luck on what ever you decide. OT

btw...needed the SD for bigger capacity/PSD for power/tq, for better mpg. and lower fuel costs (sometimes) No mods. required for me. Also gas here may soon have "ethanol" year round. If so, it usually makes for less mpg. Time will tell on that issue.

Last edited by Old Timer; 01-11-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks OT,

Currently I don't tow much just a little home made to haul junk. The wife is wanting a travel trailer so that combined with the reports of the 5.4 spitting out plugs and the tranny dying makes it tempting to get out b4 it goes.

One drawback is the mods I've already done to the 02, K&N intake, tonneau, elec fans, tuner, dual exhaust, alarm w/remote start and a few little things also, most of which would be a loss for me and take awhile b4 I could afford to do them again on the 250.

It may just be a kneejerk reaction to the post I've read, maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones with 150k and no problems

Thanks again, FM

Old 01-12-2004, 09:09 PM
FM

I hear ya. I know the feeling. Mods. add up. Wasnt cost effective for me, but was fun doing it.

At least you have the 5.4L. with some nice mods. Match up a light wt. TT to it and have fun. Lots do it with no problems.

Easier said than done, but worrying over something that hasen't happened can drive you nuts. So, dont do that.

Good luck...OT

btw...someone once said here, I was doing better before I started reading all this stuff. In otherwords, ignorance is bliss. We're all different, but certainly was food for thought.

Old 01-13-2004, 07:21 AM
They have the problems worked out now...get the 04/04, check the valve cover for the 04 engine...

I got one and it is different from the 7.3, I was like you, traded the gasser for it...

Old 01-13-2004, 09:58 AM
I traded my '01 supercrew for an '04 F-250 lariat. I loved the screw and at 50000 had zero problems with it. I like the new 6.0 diesel but it is very different than driving an F-150. Wider turning radius and the diesel has a ton of torque for towing(no comparison) but also feels like it spools up then takes off from a stop. I compare the F-150 to driving a car or suv and the 250 is a real truck. If you want long engine life and tremendous towing then go for the 250. I have not had the rig off road to compare the 4x4 yet. Mileage started out at 11 mpg and was up to 14.5 average after 500 miles. Supposed to improve to 17-20.

I also look in on the dieselstop site and it seems skewed to people who have problems so I just figure those are the ones most vocal. Hope so. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2004, 04:47 AM
My SCREW had 80000 miles on it, I changed the plugs, #5 was fixing to blow...It was blowing by the threads...then something in the emissions system was flaky, the rear end howwed, the seats were torn..I loved that truck...great fuel economy from the 4.6, but the problems where mounting...

So, I dumped it...

Got a real truck...

Which I love!!!!

6L...

Old 01-25-2004, 11:49 PM
The 03 is still available according to the web, if I don't get called to work in the morning I'll probably go see what deal we can make. Scarry proposition

Oh yeah, one last thing is that the 250 won't fit in my garage, the 150 barely does and I'll lose my remote start and alarm

Old 01-26-2004, 03:39 AM
FR, I got the 04/03...A 04 truck and the 03 engine...Is sweet, I have already gotten 20mpg...No romp(I listen every time)...I statred modding over the weekend...Yes....They had some great prices at the end of the year...

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in my 02 5.4