F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Is the 5.4L Enough Engine in the SD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay, I think I have convinced myself that I better hold off. Emotion is playing too much of a role in my decision (even though I REALLY want that PSD!!!)...

My wife, as well, hasn't officially 'vetoed' the idea but, she's not exactly 'keen' on it.

Financially, we can do it and not get in a pinch but, it would use some $ that we had allotted for new furniture. I don't anticipate a huge raise this year either.... pretty standard.

Ahh, decisions decisions....

RP

Old 02-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-06-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Moderator &

I'm still thinking about it... very difficult decision.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:50 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-06-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:56 PM
RP, sounds like you found something you like but don't know if you sould get it or not. That is how I am. I have had 4 vehicals within the past couple of years. Why you ask? For a year and a half, I drove a Grand Am, nice car but after a while it got old. When I was looking around, I started to look at Mustangs. Shortly after, I decided that what I wanted is a GT Stang. Now, 3 times I nearly had one. The 1st was a Silver GT, 2nd a Yellow GT, and 3rd a DSG Mach 1. The first 2 I had a part time job so that fell through but I still wanted something. So with the pushing from my parents, I got a GMC Envoy. Nice but after a few months, I was still wanting the Stang. When I had the Yellow GT lined up, I couldn't get it because I was still part time(job). I ended up trading the Envoy in for a Mazda 6 instead. Again nice but after a few months the Mustang craving came back. So after haveing the Mazda for 4 months I went out and look again. This time I had gotten a full time job that really pays. So I lined up a Mach 1. I was also looking at Lighnings but still wanted a stang. I would have been able to pay for the Mach 1, but I got the Lightning. Now don't get me wrong, I like my L more than my past vehicals but the craving is still there. Now Im back to squre one. This time Im paying off the L, keeping it and then buy a Stang as a 2nd vehical.

Point is RP, make sure you want the SD and make sure you have the money. Think it over for a while before doing anything. Don't just jump to something like I did becuase you will lose a lot of money.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by MikeF150
So there's hope for another 38 pages?

This is a little bit larger purchase than the Honda Pushmower...

Old 02-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Moderator &

You're right Big Man....

I'm similar to you it sounds. In the short few years that I've been driving, I've had 5 vehicles. If you average that out, that comes down to every 2+ years. Mind you, I had one of those vehicles for 5 of those years....

I like having new vehicles inside of warranty. I've had at least one VERY bad experience with a used vehicle and consider myself somewhat lucky to have made it out as easy as I did (and still took a SEVERAL thousand dollar hit).

I know this SD won't be any different. I'll probably want something new here in 3-5 years. Hence, I'm on 2.75 years for this King Ranch SuperCrew.

That worries me to a certain degree. The SD body style will change in 2007 (or so I hear). I suspect that I'd have this up until just about that point.... what do I do then?

The diesel will have a better trade value, or at least I firmly believe that it will. Will I recoup that 4K difference in value? Well, definately not but, will I enjoy that 40K miles that it pulled me around? Yup. Would I be disappointed with a V10 having pulled me around all the same? Probably not.

I'll ponder some more... *sighs*...

RP

Old 02-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Is it just me, or are the Miller Lite catfight girls running around in your heads arguing "PSD"..."V10"..."PSD"..."V10"?

Old 02-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by RockPick

2. The V10 is a nice way to go over the 5.4L but, I'm a bit leary about the v10 due to some concerns that I've read here there and everywhere about that particular engine. So much so that I think I'd rather go with the 5.4 and save just that much more (yeah, I know it's only $600 retail).

RP
Just wondering, what problems are you referring to regarding the V10s. We see very few V10s in our shop, so I don't know what problems are common. Mostly what we've seen are blown out plugs and maybe a headgasket leak or two.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Moderator &

Maybe I'm somewhat misinformed and sounded wrong when I said that...

I can't place my finger on a specific problem but, I just recall seeing V10 and reading about how someone was upset with it because of this or that.

Under the hood isn't my strongest point. I can find my way around in there but, you don't want me spinning many wrenches.

I guess, simply put, it was premature to say something of that nature and levity without specificity. I'm sorry.

RP

Old 02-05-2004, 11:01 PM
No apology necessary! I was just curious, as I said before I would have no problem getting a V10 if I couldn't get a Diesel for some reason. We see very few V10s so I wouldn't really know if they had common problems or not. This happens to be one of those rare times we have a V10 in the shop. There is one in the stall next to mine that is getting a cylinder head replaced because of a blown out spark plug. On the other hand, in my stall there is a 6.0 diesel with both heads off. I still wouldn't hesitate to get either one of them.
Good Luck with your decision!

Old 02-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Moderator &

The fuel efficiency is the kicker on the V10 versus the PSD... That's my main snafu and worry.

Gas prices are predicted to soar this summer (thank god we liberated Iraq eh?). 9MPG with the v10 just won't cut it.

RP

Old 02-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Rockpick,
I've been having a very similar thought process. I have a '97 F150 SC 4x4 4.6L with 250k miles on it that I use for a daily driver. I really want a crew cab for the family and for work, but the new F-150 with the 5.5 bed just won't cut it. So, it looks like a superduty is the obvious answer.

I'm more the type to deliberate forever but then buy what I want and then run the wheels off of it,... so this has been a pretty painful process. I tow a light fishing boat, but have a car hauler thats a bit on the heavy side for the 150 when loaded with "the project". So I could probably get by with the 5.4. I think the V10 is a great engine, but in my case at 40,000 miles a year, I think the diesel makes the most sense. I probably will run the truck for at least 7 or 8 years (280-300k). I need to save the 150 for awhile, as it has a snowplow on it, and I can't put that on a crew cab diesel without voiding the warranty right away.

The worst part is, I can't decide between an XLT sport or a Lariat!!!!

I'll probably just probably wait it out for a while longer!

Old 02-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Rockpick,
I've been having a very similar thought process. I have a '97 F150 SC 4x4 4.6L with 250k miles on it that I use for a daily driver. I really want a crew cab for the family and for work, but the new F-150 with the 5.5 bed just won't cut it. So, it looks like a superduty is the obvious answer.

I'm more the type to deliberate forever but then buy what I want and then run the wheels off of it,... so this has been a pretty painful process. I tow a light fishing boat, but have a car hauler thats a bit on the heavy side for the 150 when loaded with "the project". So I could probably get by with the 5.4. I think the V10 is a great engine, but in my case at 40,000 miles a year, I think the diesel makes the most sense. I probably will run the truck for at least 7 or 8 years (280-300k). I need to save the 150 for awhile, as it has a snowplow on it, and I can't put that on a crew cab diesel without voiding the warranty right away.

The worst part is, I can't decide between an XLT sport or a Lariat!!!!

I'll probably just probably wait it out for a while longer!

Old 02-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RockPick,

And now for something completely different...

I think you might want to ask yourself a slightly different question. Let's be realists, the Super Duty series of truck are supposed to be the real TRUCKS in the Ford truck lineup. They're supposed to be the work horses of the fleet. (No, I'm not knocking F-150's, but just being realistic.) Being work horses, do you really want to drive one as a "daily driver?" Yes, the ride and handling of the SD's has improved dramatically in the past few years, but it's still well below F-150 standards.

One of my part time jobs involves working on a friend's fleet of nine Ford SD's (from 1986 to 2003.) The newer stuff is a ton more refined than the older trucks, but I still wouldn't want to drive one 65 miles each day. The big difference? Emergency handling. Remember the first law of Physics? ("A body in motion tends to remain in motion.") That loosely translates into "A SD going in a straight line tends to keep going in a straight line." There's just no comparison here.

Having said all of that, if you really want to make the leap, get the Powerstoke. Nothing - and I mean nothing - will keep up with it. Even with a Fisher plow hung on the front of our new one, it goes like a scalded cat! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Is the 5.4L Enough Engine in the SD?