F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Is the 5.4L Enough Engine in the SD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're exactly right. The SD is a beast of a work truck but, on the flip side, it's also the alpha and omega of big and nice. I've always been a guy that liked a vehicle 'big and nice'. What more could you ask for from a King Ranch Super Duty?

You're dead on with being a realist. I guess I'm not thinking logically to a certain degree and this whole level of 'car fever' needs to fade.

I loved the sound, feel, and look of the 6.0L. The mileage isn't too shabby either... I mean, it's much better than what I'm getting now with my SCREW (around 14mpg).

Plus diesel is cheaper at the pump. Always has been, should always be considering that it takes a considerably smaller amount of effort to refine.

RP

Old 02-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read all these posts....I hear ya I love my 150 but I want the PSD SD.
1, The amount of power you can get from a PSD is incredible but with some rather pricey add-ons
2. If you ever get the urge to rip telephone poles from the ground for your amusement, the SD 4wd low will accomodate
3. its just the apidimy of a 'mans truck'

but I cant talk. I have plans drawn up ( and Im serious ) when i hit the lotto to convert an F-650 Flat bed into the biggest Pick up on the road...I mean a pick up truck that I could fit A SD into the bed.....HELL YEA!

But my theory is lifes to short, you want an F250 SD PSD to drive everyday...just get some use out of it...cause if not it will look a little funny, A friend of mine has the 350 crew cab 8 ft bed Duelly....its HUGE he tows a jet ski with it...it looks ridiculous....

anyway good Luck with the decision.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Rockpick, you will not like your self if you dont get a 6L..

But then on the other side you dont keep your trucks long enough to utilize the diesel option..

Old 02-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Mach1
Rockpick, you will not like your self if you dont get a 6L..

But then on the other side you dont keep your trucks long enough to utilize the diesel option..
Yeah... that's what everyone is telling me. And, you're right, I'm not keeping a truck long enough to really have a huge impact on the long term...

More decisions... decisions.....

--In other news, my dealership has found PRECISELY what I want with every option that I want... none that I don't....

RP

Old 02-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Moderator &

Well guys... I appreciate all of the motivation and honest opinions but, I think I'm going to have to pass. The tax man wasn't as kind to me this year as he was last year and I just can't justify the SD for an everyday driver considering I'd almost NEVER have it off road.

Basically, I've spent a large amount of energy and have run two different sales guys crazy looking for exactly what I want and now I need to turn around and tell them thanks, but no thanks.

Fall 2004 might be what I hold out for...

I hope rates are similar to what they are now... that is a while off though...

RP

Old 02-16-2004, 03:53 AM
OK, RP you have convinced me, but it doesn't sound like you have convinced yourself....

Your want the 6L...

My friend went out and bought a 4X4 KR 6L, right before the end of the year and was able to deduct the whole truck...

Oh ya, I went out and bought a 6l and have a business..thats right...

RP, the good thing is that you have a great Ford truck already...There always is later in the year...

Old 02-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Mach1
RP, the good thing is that you have a great Ford truck already...There always is later in the year...
That's my plan... 2005 KR F-150

Old 02-17-2004, 04:46 AM
That interior shot is bad to the bone...

We need a face lift on the SD interior like that!!!

I agree with the other guy, go far it, if you want it...

I have 80000+ on the 2000..already, I put miles on them...So that convinced me to have a diesel...

I had to get rid of the 150, diff howling, emissions problems and then the 4.6 no power syndrome...

Now we have a 7.3 and a 6L...

Both are excellent trucks...

Plus we live in Texas, So as the Romans do..

Old 02-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
delivery truck in the family business....

250 reg cab 2wd... 5.4 hauled *** in city and highway. Had no problem maintaining 70mph on highway and still had power left for passing.

Not sure what some people expect from these things... they are trucks, not race cars.

Someone made a flame about the V6, hey a V6 in a 2wd reg cab still moves pretty damn well.

if you start talking crew cabs and 4wd then you made want the additional power of a larger engine, but then you are into a lot of truck that you dont need.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Those V6's do great for what they are and at $11000 for a brand new 150, how can that be bad????

This is Texas and I use the diesels(high mileage, towing tractors)..So I need/use the things...

They are all Fords and the best trucks...

Old 09-16-2004, 04:25 PM
I have a 02 F150 4.6 ordered it from the dealer and ended up going cheap for the pocket book, didn't get everything I wanted. Thought I was doing the right thing but then I was saying to myself should have ordered it all. This 4th of July it was hit in a parking lot. So let me get to it.

I learned a few lessons.

1. Get what you want so you aren't kicking yourself later.
2. There is always going to be a next year model with upgrades.
3. It all comes down to #1.

I don't like the new F150 look except the new KR that is coming out but I wanted to test drive a F250. Mistake because I drove a KR PS 4X4 and only drove it for a little while. It is awesome I and I have been trying to read up on it fast and comments of others. The only thing that has stopped me from ordering is the diesel it is slowing me down a bit. Never owned one so maintenance is a concern.

RP,

I will tell you that I have two jetskis that I will pull and possibly looking at a couple ATVs but that is about it. It will be a family/tow a little/maybe when I get the next house haul a little kind of truck. Primarily drive the normal kind of everyday rides/uses and some highway trips to family.

My selling point to myself is the lessons learned and that the wife has said this should be the last new one for awhile because she wants a bigger house and a new car for herself. So it is going to have to last awhile which is why the diesel is so appealing.

So I am going for another test drive (longer and trying a little more) this weekend but looks like I am going to get it unless someone (pls help) can tell me why I shouldn't. I won't get the 5.4 don't think it will keep up with the truck in the long run and V10 just sounds like it is a guzzler.

On the fence like you but as it was said in one other post it comes down to you get what you want. I just don't want to be kicking myself again. But I am looking for some help from owners.

Everyone thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by F250FORME; 09-16-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Question

I won't get the 5.4 don't think it will keep up with the truck in the long run and V10 just sounds like it is a guzzler.
Sounds like you've got the basics down, but I'm curious about the above point.

The V10 is a guzzler compared to what? It gets as good or better mileage than any other engine of all truck brands for a gasoline engine in a 7000lb pickup. You're getting a $600 option gas engine that cranks out at least 425lb-ft of torque for the 2000 and up models and mine at least averages 12mpg mixed driving and a little over 14 highway.

The only gas engine in production that's in the V10's league is the GM 8.1L which by most accounts gets 1 to 2 mpg worse and Ford's 05 V10 beats that engine in hp/torque. I know a few guys with Dodge Hemis in 2500s and a few with GM 6.0L and none of them get any better mileage than my V10 and they're weaker engines for towing purposes. In my experience the 5.4L doesn't get any better mpg than the V10 although I know some will argue. Probably depends alot on how the truck is optioned out.

I guess what I'm saying is that any 3/4 or 1 ton pickup is a "guzzler" by my measures. Even a diesel averaging 16 or 17 mpg gets crap mileage by today standards and I have no problem calling them "guzzlers" as well!

Quick Reply: Is the 5.4L Enough Engine in the SD?