F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Is the 5.4L Enough Engine in the SD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the 5.4L Enough Engine in the SD?

Very simply, I bouncing some options around in my head from a vehicle standpoint and was curious to hear your opinions.

First, let me state that this truck WOULD NOT be used for heavy hauling nor would it really be 'utilzied' as a 'work truck' per sey. I know that kills some of you that are SD owners but, it'd be used more as a daily driver.... mainly highway miles to and from work.

Don't jump to conclusions either. My KR isn't going bye-bye anytime soon... My next truck will have Castano Leather... (yes, the SD comes in a KR)

RP

Old 02-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 5.4 in a SD???

I would say no. I've driven alot of 5.4 Superduties and they aren't very impressive. Although I know a guy that has one with a 6 speed and he finds it way better than his old truck, f150 4x4 4.2L Auto. If you are running it empty, it may do ok. I'd stay away from the automatic though. In my opinion the 5.4 is hardly adequate for the F150.
My advise: v10 or diesel. Only get v10 if you don't want the diesel. The 6.0L has awesome power.

One question, if it is just a daily driver, why get a superduty?

P.S. My next truck will be a F350 Crew cab 4x4 with a diesel or a V10. Diesel if possible.

Last edited by taterthedog; 02-04-2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Hay RP, instead of getting on your nerves, I'll see if I can help. Now I have never drivin a SD, but I have drivin a Chevy 2500 HD(no flames please!). It was a 4 door and had the 6.0L Vortech engine in it. This engine makes 350 lb-ft of tourqe, the same as the pre-04 5.4L had. It was enough to get the truck around, but I can tell it could of used more power. Since your not towing, it wouldn't matter, but passing someone on the interstate, it would struggle.

Point is, at least get the V10. Putting a 5.4 V8 in a SD would be like putting a V6 in a Lightning. Besides its only an extra $700 and it will give you the power you need and people say it gets almost as much gas mileage as the 5.4.

But I say if you have the money, get the diesel.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:12 AM
RP

Hey what's up? If you only want to drive to and from work (or wherever) and never tow or haul anything, then why do you even want an f250? Get a new f150. f250's are for heavier payloads and if you are never going to utilize it, why spend the money. Just wondering.

runnert

Old 02-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Moderator &

Thanks for the opinions guys. I somewhat suspected that the SD might need a little more oompah over the 5.4... I would, however, like to hear from a couple of folks that have the 5.4 in a SD... guys?

Here's the way I see it....

PROS

* I'd make a little bit of money (around 4k or so) on my trade as I'm right side up.
* 1.9% over 60 financing available
* I'd get a new truck, new warranty, etc.. etc...
* My payment, after all calculations (TTL, etc) will be about $10 more / month.
* A-Plan
* I'm approaching 34K miles on my truck and I like the security of the 3/36k
* I've been in love with the KR SD since it hit the market last year.
* 4 wheel drive
* Undoubtedly cheaper than going with a 150 KR when they come out next year (I suspect A-Plan will be around $38k on a F150 SCREW KR in 05)

CONS

* Gasoline consumption. With gas prices on the rise, this may hurt a little considering that I log about 65 miles per day behind the wheel in the truck... that's why I was asking about the 5.4L in the SD.
* Don't really need that much truck. I never pull or haul much.
* Insurance up slightly (not much though)
* Body style will change soon
* Won't fit in the garage (a HUGE con)

I'm sure I could ponder this to death but, it just seems logical with only a slightly larger payment (Less than $40 bucks each month).

Any additional thoughts that you all feel I should consider?

RP

Old 02-04-2004, 10:53 AM
RP,

I drove a 5.4 equipped 250 for about 32K miles ('00 supercab in my sig), and never felt like it was a dog when unloaded or with light towing. If you truly are never going to use it as much of a hauler, the 5.4 will do fine. As far as mileage goes, I was getting ~14-15 mpg with it in mixed driving (probably slightly more city than highway). I don't know how that compares to your S'Crew, but may give you a basis for comparison. Don't let "need" dicatate your purchase decision - that would be downright un-American! When I bought my first SD, my towing "needs" were being met by my '92 Accord - but man did I like they way the SDs looked when compared to the F150s. And yes, my crew cab SD will fit in the garage - you might be surprised.

As a side note (to a question you didn't even ask ) - in my current rig (with the V10), I average ~12.5-13mpg in the same driving conditions and have loads more power. So, for a minor cash outlay ($600 MSRP when I bought mine) and a minor hit in fuel efficiency (can we even say that about these?), you get a lot more capability in the truck should you ever want to do any heavy hauling with it.

Can't wait to see pics when you buy it!

Oh - it WILL take more Zaino than your S'Crew.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Moderator &

Thanks JD. I'm still very interested in hearing what you all think about this.

One moment, I'm thinking "Why in the heck haven't I already done this...?" The next moment I'm thinking "What in the hell am I thinking...?"

*shrugs*

I guess if I'm confused about it, I just need to wait.

RP

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2004, 04:33 PM
RP- As a fellow owner of the 150 KR, I too am constantly looking at new vehicles. It's just me. And I've only had mine 12 months! Anyway, my take is this. Do a cost layout on the Ford website build and price. Use the Lariat package since there is no KR yet for the 150. I used the 4x4 screw 150 and the 4x4 crew cab SD. Put in the V10 on the SD and put all the options you want on both trucks, (apples to apples as best you can). Now look at the total. For what I've done the SD comes up less than $1K more than the 150, and that's with the V10. Take the V10 off and you are essentially the same price. I pull a trailer with the 150 without a problem but the way I figure it, if I can get a SD for the same pirce or slightly more, pulling the same trailer would be that much easier and if I want to go to a bigger trailer, I can. For less than $1K more I can get a lot more truck. I say go for the SD dude. Is it obvious what my next truck is going to be?

Also, my KR doesn't fit in my garage. Last week when it was -12 around here it sucked but with the remote start and the heated seats, it wasn't something I couldn't handle. Just a note to ponder as well. And I know it doesn't get that cold in Louisville!

Old 02-04-2004, 05:59 PM
RockPick,

I think for your current needs the 5.4 will be fine. Just like everyone has mentioned for just a little more money and not much of a hit in gas mileage you can have the V-10. Simply put there is no cheaper,better powerful upgrade for this cost than the V-10.
I drive mine as a daily driver 100 miles round trip each day. That's only door to door. Gas prices here are $1.59 for 87. However any pain I feel from gassing it up is instantly replaced when I drive down the road in my land yacht.
I look at things this way, why pay an outrageous price for the F-150 when for same or in some cases cheaper you can get so much more truck in a Superduty.
Finally it's just a much nicer looking truck than the F-150 both new and old. The only way I might go back to the 1/2 ton is as a second vehicle.Step on up to the SD!

Old 02-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Moderator &

So, I drove a KR SD with a 6.0L....

All I can say is... "DAMN, why in the hell did I do that?". I now want the Diesel... What type of gas mileage can you expect on the diesel? Like I said, I log around 60 miles / day (45+ are highway)...

MPG on V10? V8?

I'm more confused now...

Old 02-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
So, I drove a KR SD with a 6.0L....

All I can say is... "DAMN, why in the hell did I do that?". I now want the Diesel... What type of gas mileage can you expect on the diesel? Like I said, I log around 60 miles / day (45+ are highway)...

MPG on V10? V8?

I'm more confused now...
Yes, I know about that. Could be earlier cost effective if you really rack up the yearly miles. I test drove, all w/ a.t. 5.4L, V10, 7.3L & 6L PSD. Biggest mistake was driving the 6L. Todate, has been a good ride. Best solo 17.63. 15K GCWR 11 1/2-12 mpg @ 60 mph.

As a daily driver and nothing more, why not something more practical, or is that also confusing?

Good luck on what ever you decide. OT....

Old 02-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Moderator &

It doesn't really make it more confusing.

I've always liked **BIG** vehicles so, as Rugby put it, the land yacht is how I'm going to go... plus, it will be a FORD. A-Plan is just too good to pass up.

It is an everyday driver but, it would be highway miles (thus the better gas mileage is a very important thing with the diesel over the v8 or v10).

RP

Old 02-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Moderator &

Here's a recap of my thoughts to the minute. Please feel free to comment as necessary....

1. I really want the 6.0L. The power, the perk, the fuel efficiency are all leading factors that I'm considering.

2. The V10 is a nice way to go over the 5.4L but, I'm a bit leary about the v10 due to some concerns that I've read here there and everywhere about that particular engine. So much so that I think I'd rather go with the 5.4 and save just that much more (yeah, I know it's only $600 retail).

3. Financing would be better on the V8 or V10. A better rate is available for the gasoline guzzlers over the diesel drinkers.

4. I'm not sure it'll fit in my garage. As far as length is concerned, I believe I'm fine. It's height that I'm worried about. More 'precise' measurements to come prior to decision.

I guess it boils down to this question. Do I want the 6.0L which makes me drool or do I want to go with the v8 or v10. That determines ALOT of everything above.

With the v8, assuming 13 MPG, with a 65 mile round trip typical day, I'm going to be spending about $9.50 each day assuming gas is at $1.90 (I'm being generous). So, $9.50 X 6 = $57/week X 4 = $228 in fuel alone.

With the 6.0L, assuming 18 MPG, with the same 65 mile round trip... (assuming same price for diesel) I'm looking at about $6.90 / day and $170 ish to operate for a month from a fuel perspective. That's a difference at around $50 per month.

The Diesel is about 4K more over the gas engine so, it'll take about 80 months to equalize the price from a simple fuel efficiency calculation.

BUT, the resale value on the SD will be CONSIDERABLY better than the V10 or V8...

And then the real decision... what color? Estate Green or Chestnut Brown? LOL!

RP

Old 02-05-2004, 11:25 AM
1. If that is what you want, get it. Don't let trying to justify it muddle the issue.

2. What concerns do you have about the V10? I have had fewer (i.e. ZERO) problems with my V10 than I did with the 5.4 (numerous parts replaced during a weeklong stay at the dealer until they finally decided that the PCM was the culprit).

3. If you have the means, get what you want. See #1.

4. My stock suspension 4x4 (on 33" tires) fits in my garage with a little room to spare. Unless your garage is a non-standard size, you should be fine. However, I am sure that you can get exact measurements of whatever you need to allay your fears.

I assume that you have checked diesel prices in your area recently, but have you been following them for any length of time? For the past two years, gas has been cheaper than diesel probably 95% of the time in my area - oftentimes by as much as $0.05-$0.10/gal.

Do you really think that you will keep this vehicle for almost seven years (also assumes that your driving patterns do not change) in order to hit the breakeven based on fuel cost alone? Somehow, I feel confident in saying that when the next "newest bestest" KR comes out, you will be wanting one.

Yes, the PSD will have a higher resale value than a comparable gasser, but this is really a flawed argument. Lets be generous and say that at resale in three years, you recoup 90% of your investment in the PSD option ($3600 of your $4000). Now lets say that you bought the gasser and invested the $4000 difference in something very safe - like a low yield (2%) Certificate of Deposit. Roll that CD over until the sale of the truck, and you have $4200. Now which one was a better investment?

And as far as the color goes - Estate Green.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:52 AM
The biggest reason for me would be the resale. A diesel around here keeps it's value. In a couple years you'd be able to get out of a diesel a helluva lot easier than the V10. You wouldn't hardly be able to throw away one with a V8.

You might not have needs for anything other than a V8 now, but in two years who's to say what they might be? A boat, a travel trailer, whatever. Thing is, if you get the V8 now, and find that you need to upgrade later, you're gonna be in a bad position trying to get rid of it.

Keep in mind also that when gas prices go up over 2 bucks a gallon over the summer season "because of reduced supply" like they always do, the diesel will stay about the same. You ever seen what truckers do when their gas gets inflated? Diesel has always been less prone to the whimsical fluctuations of the gas companies.

Garage schmarage. Use the open space as an excuse for that project car you've been trying to talk your wife into.

Quick Reply: Is the 5.4L Enough Engine in the SD?