F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

IM in love. Need opinions on the new PSD 250.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JDMnAR
Haha - thought that carrot might draw you in. Lewis Ford, in Fayetteville, AR - (501) 442-5301.
Gracias...

Old 02-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Moderator &

They actually have THREE King Ranch Editions on their lot... two are green, one is white.

Both of the Estate Green trucks don't have a moonroof... Eliminated those two...

RP

Old 02-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
They actually have THREE King Ranch Editions on their lot... two are green, one is white.

Both of the Estate Green trucks don't have a moonroof... Eliminated those two...

RP
Well, I KNEW they had three, but didn't think you were interested in white so I didn't bother mentioning it. What are your "must have" options and I will keep my eyes open?

Old 02-11-2004, 01:12 PM
How about a Chestnut one in Lexington, KY (Paul Miller Ford - (859) 255-4242)?

Old 02-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Moderator &

I already saw the Chestnut one in Lex as well. . ... LOL! It has to be Estate Green.

Chestnut, on the superduty, isn't an option.... I simply don't think it looks right.

My must have's are:

*Rear Bench
*6.0 Liter Diesel
*Power Rear Glass
*Moonroof

My "I'd Like to Have" list is:

*Reverse sensing
*Shift on the Fly
*6 Disc in dash

That's about it...

RP

Old 02-29-2004, 07:00 PM
The disease is contagious.....

This thread is most appropriate! I'm a former PSD owner, F250 CC short bed, sold my truck in 2001 and been driving the F150 SuperCrew ever since.

Been thinking seriously about the '04 F150 but haven't ordered one yet. The last few days I've once again been seduced by the "lifted skirt" of the diesel equipped SuperDuty.

Dieselstop.com is a somewhat sobering experience but I can tell you guys that the Forums there are not as scary as they were a year ago. Last summer I read, on REUTERS news service, where Ford was doing buy backs on 6.0's. I think things have improved dramatically since then. Ford has GOT to get the problems with the diesel corrected as PSD equipped SuperDutys make up a huge chunk of their truck sale volume.

RockPick, I suggest your order exactly what you want. Heck, these trucks are still made in Kentucky, aren't they? I'm going to fax my dealer a spec'd out truck in the morning and get a quote.

Old 03-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey Fellas:

I have owned both a 5.4 F150 and two 7.3 diesels. I am looking into buying a 6.0 as we speak.

*If* you tow reasonably often, I think the diesel is the way to go. It will tow what the gas motor cannot, and it will easily pull loads that have the 5.4s tongue hanging out.

However, it does cost more to operate a diesel than a gas motor, no question about it. I have never gotten the mileage numbers that other diesel owners brag about, and have basically written a lot of these claims off as people going by the overhead console mileage meter, rather than checking consumption at the pump.

My 250 4wd CC shortbed 4*4 got between 12-14 mpg. My 2WD CC dually gets about 12mpg. Both trucks get about 10 mpg towing a 10000 pound trailer.

I hear that the 6.0 gets better mileage, but will believe it when I see it.

Something to keep in mind is that oil changes are significantly more expensive on a diesel. The 7.3 takes 17(?) quarts of oil and a big honking filter. At a dealer, it will regularly run $75-100, and at Jiffy-Lube it is $50-75.00. I don't change it myself anymore as the Autozone kept giving me ***** about bringing in 16 quarts of oil at a time (though they never seemed to complain when I bought it by the case-LOL).

Other stuff..Tires cost more, brakes cost more, blah blah.

The V10 is an entirely different story. I would not buy a V10. They have had mechanical issues since the engine was introduced (crank seals, spark knock, head gaskets). Additionally, a buddy of mine has a V10 F250 and pulls a similar race trailer to what I pull with the dually. He claims he get 8mpg unloaded, and 5 mpg towing. Ugh.

Also, a 150,000 mile diesel truck is still worth about 15K, whereas a 150,000 mile V10 is worth about 8K, if you can find someone to buy it.

To sum up, I love my diesels, but I don't think anyone is going to save money running one over a 5.4 F150.

Lastly, a chipped diesel is actually fast! There's nothing like beating up on ricers with an 8000 pound truck. LOL!

Diesel fo' Life!

Steve

Old 03-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Steve
thanks for the great post. at the end you said no one would save money over the 5.4 F150. Im looking at the 250's because I love my 150 but I want to get a CC ( curently runnins the SC) and I was considering the bigger truck because Of the added benefits. I Do lots of kinds of work. Do some construction, A lot of car flipping, motorcycles, quads You name it My business name does it. And there have been times. Where ive pushed my 5.4 150 to the point where it hated me. Like loaded a 2700 lb Electric pallet jack into the bed with 4 200+ men in the cab. It will pull a full car carrier with a load and does it fairly well but you can feel the truck gasping sometimes.
I might not use the 560lbs/Tq all the time but I think Ill be happy its there when I do.
You mentioned that the tires are more expensive? how so? you cant use regular radials on them? Also 17 QT? wow! Just regular Oil goes in there?
ANy information would be great
Ryan

Old 03-04-2004, 12:37 PM
I just bought a new white King Ranch 250 about a week ago. I opted out of the moonroof though. I have one in my wifes car and it never gets used so I knew I wouldn't ever use it in the truck. I got the rear bench and power back glass as well. The captains chairs look neat but you lose a lot of space in the process, seating and floor because of the console extending forward so far. I did have the adjust. pedals, FX4 package, 6 disc changer, camper package, cab lights, shift on the fly, and diesel options added. I added a B&M flip up gooseneck hitch, a spray in liner and a black powder coated chest toolbox after the purchase. I love this thing so far. I got out of college about 2 years ago and have been having an itch ever since. Well, this is a far different truck than the 2 wheel drive Nissan pickup that I had for running up and down the roads to school. I'm very impressed with the new 6 Liter engine also. I used to work out of a 1 ton with the 7.3 while in school and this is noticably more powerful and quieter. I looked at an estate green KR last week here in Jackson, MS that had all the things you are looking for but I didn't see it the last time I drove by the lot. The guy here gave me what I considered a great price so if you need, I'll get his number and name to you and he'll get whatever you want. He had mine in one day. Good luck. GS

Old 03-04-2004, 07:37 PM
I would have bet cash money the PSD was a 14 qt oil change but it's been a few years since I changed oil on one. There is no doubt the upkeep on a PSD is more $$$. I did get better mileage in my 7.3 than LXguy. I had the 6 speed manual and 3.73 gears. It was also chipped with a Gale Banks kit (chip and new exhaust), ran like a scalded ape. If fuel continues to go up near and quite possibly over $3 a gallon, then the better mileage will help offset the extra cost and upkeep a LITTLE. OK, a tiny bit!

Perhaps it's too much testosterone but I do have the real world need that 02F15054 mentioned. I want the 4 real doors and the 6.5 ft bed and I don't really want to buy a Dodge. It's been rumored for 2 years that Ford would come out with a longer bed on the Screw, so far, nothing on the horizon.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Zach,
With out a doubt I could use the PSD. I use my truck now and Ive used the 7.3 and its a lot nicer. But I can deal with My current ride. I have my eyes on a 68 Firebird....but I want the PSD too...but cant have both. So Im trying to decide. I would get use outta the screw PSD but I could live with the current 5.4 I dont know...But the 3$ a gallon scare might have me in a psd next week...a 400CID firebird and the 330 in the F150 arent exactly working in good gas team....No idea what to do haha
life...to many choices too many options
Ryan

Old 03-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Zach
I would have bet cash money the PSD was a 14 qt oil change but it's been a few years since I changed oil on one.
PSD 6.0 and 7.3 are both 14 quart oil changes.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:36 AM
OK You guys are probably right at 14. Twice what a 5.4 uses, anyways.

Also, my bad mileage might be somewhat related to the 4:10 gears and dual rear wheels.

02F15054: It sounds like you could definitely make use of a PSD. I guarantee you'll be smiling ear to ear the first time you hook it up to a load that made the 5.4 grunt.

I used to pull an 1800 lb. open trailer and 3300 lb. drag car all over with a 2000 5.4 F150. When I upgraded to the 250, you couldn't even tell the car was back there. Additionally, the load wouldn't shove the 250 around nearly as much as it did the 150.

As far as tires go, if you are going to be hauling a lot, you will want to use D or E load range tires. They seem to cost about %10 more than most of the lower load range tires.

I think you would probably like owning it, I just don't think the added mileage is going to offset the higher maintenance costs or initial buy-in.

I am hearing stories now that the air filters for 6.0s cost $150!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Old 03-05-2004, 01:17 PM
steve,
Yeh man Im still looking into everything now. I hate how the F150 gets tossed around with a heavy load on it. And Ive used the 7.3 to pull 25 inch stumps from the ground and I didnt even know I was doing it. Im just debating if the switch to a much more expensive truck is justified...The maintence is much highter and gas always goes up and down...I have to crunch a few more numbers...but well see
Ryan

Old 03-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Ah the addicition of F150online, Ford trucks and the Internet. I do believe this next gas crunch will be more long term, as circumstances around the globe have changed. OPEC came out this week and said that if the price of a barrel of crude does not go down from it's current level, then their recent anouncement of a 10% rollback in production on August 1, 2004 will be scrapped. Good news for all concerned I think. Here is the big fly in the ointment, industrialization of 3rd world countries. China and India are fast becoming huge consumers of oil. A lot of American money is being spent in China as manufacturing continues to move there, a debate we won't get into in this Forum. Meanwhile India's economy is growing too, through American job outsourcing. Automobile sales in China alone are multiplying monthly at a phenomenal rate. China is signing deals with oil producing nations around the world, they don't seem to care what the oil costs, just as long as they get it.

Soooooo, there may well be some fluctuation up and down in fuel prices here, however, I do believe that due to much higher demand, prices will continue to go up over the long haul. That's one reason why I'm considering another PSD, along with the fact that I want the 4 real doors, with 6.5 ft bed and I happen to dig that POWER!

Sorry to be so long winded.....

Zach

Last edited by Zach; 03-05-2004 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: IM in love. Need opinions on the new PSD 250.