F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Cummins vs. Powerstroke?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 02:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cummins vs. Powerstroke?

You know that in my opinion it's the PSD, but which is really a better engine, and why?

Old 02-27-2004, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man your going to stir some stuff up in this one. everybody is going to give alot of opinions. I is better tha V. Total package. etc. I really dont think there is much difference anymore. they make about the same amount of power. Reliability is close. ( I know, but its getting worked out). I like the PSD better because its in a Ford and the wider power range. So theres my personal opinion.

Old 02-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If only the B Series were in the F-250 or F-350. Die hard Ford Driver here. I picked up a used V10 2 weeks ago. When I figure out the legalities(notice state). I may have a B Series in it.

MK

On edit: Yes. It would have been easier to buy a used diesel, and repower that.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
I'd say this. I bet the majority of both Ford SD and Dodge owners would drop their truck in a heartbeat if they could buy a Ford SD with a CTD in it.

Old 02-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Right, right, but I wanna know the pros and cons of the current PSD vs the current Cummins (or even the new Cummins 600). I know they're rated close to each other, but one has to be better than the other.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:06 PM
It's not the engine, but what's around it.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I know, but these assclowns keep saying that the Dodge is a better truck with a better engine, and I advised them that Ford is the clear leader in the industry for 28 years, and that they come out with the 6.0 and the next year, BOTH major competitors had to redesign their diesels just to stay comparable, and then they get into singing Dodge praises and there's more than one, I'd like some really good hard facts to throw up at them. I mean, clearly, the Ford is a better truck, but how do I prove that?

Old 03-02-2004, 04:15 AM
I would say the Cummins is better, but not by much...

But lets really throw a curve ball in here and say, that it reaaly doesn't boil down to the engine...Because getting it to the ground is the concern...

The torqshift makes the difference, and then the Dana 80/Sterling 10.25 is icing on the cake...

That engine is only as good as the trans putting it to the ground!!!

Got to look at the whole driveline package...

Old 03-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't sit around and try to prove anything. FORD is what I drive, and I was a Cummins Dealer for many years, and now I work at a Cummins Distributor. I've worked on the marine version of the B Series for 19 years. Great engine.

FORD's a GREAT Truck.

Maybe some day, but I'm not into spending $42K or more to drive off the lot for a diesel right now. By the time I am, they'll probably be close to $60K. Then the only diesel I'll be driving in will be the bus.

MK

Old 03-04-2004, 12:01 AM
I once was the lead mechanic for a HVAC company with a fleet of 120 trucks and vans. They ordered a Dodge with the turbo diesel. Once received they wanted to put a rollback on it to haul scissors lifts and pickup the chevies that were always breaking down on the side of the road. They called the rollback dealer and explained they wanted the rollback installed. The guy on the phone laughed and said you can't put a rollback on a dodge, the frame will not handle it. Anyway after signing a risk acceptance and agreeing to no warranty the rollback was installed. I drove the truck on numerous occassions and you were lucky to hit 60mph downhill. You had to take turns with left foot and right foot holding the peddle to the floor. It was the worst truck I have ever driven. No power what so ever. This truck was a 94 I believe so I am sure they have made improvements to the dodge since, but I would not be caught dead driving one after that horrific experience.

All the farmers in my area that have tried the dodge have always came back to the Ford and swore to never make that mistake again.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Both truck have there strong points. Ford has the crew cab which Dodge may have later this year. Dodge has a tried and true motor in the 5.9, Ford does not with the 6.0, Ford did however with the 7.3.
The Ford auto tranny is decent, the Dodge auto tranny is junk.

It would be a close call for me if I had to pick between a brand new Dodge or Ford truck. Since the 6.0 came out I've heard a lot of bad things about it. It's a tough $40,000 decision, I'll stick with my two 7.3's for now!

Old 03-06-2004, 02:00 PM
I drive a 2000 PSD at work on a road crew.
I own a 91.5 Dodge 4x4 5 speed

There are definitley pros and cons to both even though the age difference.
I would probably say that the Cummins is the winner.
Pop the hood and look inside.

I do all my own work on the 5.9 The bottom end is tuff as heck, proven design, starts better in cold weather. I have complimented it with the full banks setup turbo, intercooler, exhaust, guages have been running it for years with no problems.

I would rather have the Ford Tranny in it.

Both have excellent resale value and good after market support.

Final answer Best in my fleet: Ford Lighting F-150

Old 03-10-2004, 10:40 PM
I've always heard the powerstrokes start better in the cold than the cummins?
The powerstroke has glow plugs the cummins don't.

A guy can really mod up a cummins though.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:03 PM
hey sorry this is kinda passed but im just bumping to the top becasuse this is very interesting... for me i own a 2001 dodge ho cummins... the cummins motor is better in my opinion...its actualy to strong for the truck... i put in u joints and carrier bearings all the time(every other month) its got so much torque. as for cold starting.. cummins start way better i havent even pluged my cummins in once all winter and never had a problem some mornigs would be 5degrees f. and.. never gelled up either.. but like i said its too much motor for a relitively "small" truck.. we have some international and gmc dumptrucks at work the internationals put out 215 hp and around 400 lbs of torque.. my dodge is around 300 hp and 600lbs of torque.. dont even get me started on the gmc top kicks... but if they would put cummins in a ford or even a chevy with a drive train that could hold up then i would buy another diesel .... until then ill stick with gasoline...

Old 03-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Have you used a comparable truck with a PSD in the exact same conditions that you have you used your Cummins in? IMO, a slant six is too much torque for a Dodge...Not flaming you or your truck, but I personally haven't seen a Dodge get used for anything serious ever without breaking something major...

Quick Reply: Cummins vs. Powerstroke?