F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Thinking of going 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of going 6.0

Ok, gas is getting rediculous and I didn't get what I wanted to first time around. The savings on fuel is pushing me over the top, so I'm thinking about getting a new 250/350 4x4 reg cab w/ 6.0l.

What kind of fuel economy should I expect:
A. City
B. HWY
C. 5,000lb trailer

When did Ford get all the kinks hammered out in the 6.0's? I'm still seeing some late '03 build dates on a few of the '04 SD's sitting on lots.

Also, if anybody is a dealer/salesman, are there any other rebates available with A-plan? I've had some salesman/dealerships who don't like to reveal them all and try to pad their pockets. I get tired of shopping 5 dealerships to make sure there aren't further rebates.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Retail incentives aren't something a dealer can "keep" unless you sign it over to them. It doesn't come out of their pocket so it only helps them sell a truck/car. Now some dealers may not have a clue as to what is available but they can run a VINCENT on a VIN and it will tell them exactly what all Ford has on it.

As far as A Plan, any and all retail incentives are yours. Their "may" be special, additional incentives for A Plan purchases, but the VINCENT can tell you, or if you are A Plan eligible, your plan administrator can.

If you want to order one, try TDS (www.thedeiselstop.com) and go to the Ordering Information Forum. There are 2 Fleet Directors from 2 different dealerships there that can help you out. If you don't want to go to Houston (Cochise at Lone Star Ford) or So Cal. (Bobby Williams at Sunrise Ford) to pick it up, have it ordered and drop shipped to your local dealer. They do it all the time for TDS members.

Good luck!!

Old 06-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Done.

http://www.kcmetroford.net/pages/pre...F21P64EA31337#

Thanks for your advice and input FamilyRide. The dealer printed off a list of all available rebates from the vin, as you said.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Best mpg todate 8K+ on engine is 16 1/2 mpg (solo) @ 65 mph. It may get better/maybe not? Some 6Ls better/some worse. They are really snowflakes, meaning not all the same.

Towing/loaded 8k# @ 60 mph....11 1/2 mpg. Heavier load/or mph, gonna suck the fuel. You do have choices

Whats current price for 6L engine...$5K? Takes awhile to recoup that cost. Payback only comes sooner with lots of yearly miles.

Good luck on what ever you decide. OT

btw....lots of good info. also ck. out link by FR to TDS.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:37 AM
I think you also need to look at the amount of miles you do a year and on how long you are keeping the truck. If you do 15K a year it will take 3 years just to break-even and that is if the differnence in MGP were 6 mpg and the deisel fuel was .25 cheaper per gallon then gas. And that is also assuming a $3,000 return on the deisel engine when you trade it in. And if you weren't trading it in and keeping it, it would take over 6 years just to break even based on the perameters above.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if it doesn't sound like diesel is the way to go based on the fact that you won't break even for so long, how long would it take you to break even with a gas motor?

Old 06-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by GeorgeK-NJ
I think you also need to look at the amount of miles you do a year and on how long you are keeping the truck. If you do 15K a year it will take 3 years just to break-even and that is if the differnence in MGP were 6 mpg and the deisel fuel was .25 cheaper per gallon then gas. And that is also assuming a $3,000 return on the deisel engine when you trade it in. And if you weren't trading it in and keeping it, it would take over 6 years just to break even based on the perameters above.
I understand. Maybe you or ? would know for sure, but seems to me on any vehicle new or used, lots is involved before break even or pay back starts.

I forgot formula but goes something like...cost/ins/upkeep/mo. payment/ fuel cost/yrly. mileage, maybe more. Seems to me it would take longer than 6 yrs. on a new 6L PSD. Anyhow......

Reason I mention. Sometime back bought from a hi volume comm. dealer. He had book with figures listing pay back/break even etc. on every model truck he sold. As I recall, higher price meant longer recoup/pay back time + the other costs involved. What I dont recall is how he arrived at those figures?

OT

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2004, 08:47 AM
I get around 17 or so in town, 19 on the highway and with a trailor somewhere around the size you mentioned, I'm getting about 14. The gate on the trailor acts like a parachute and doesn't help with the gas mileage. If you already bought the one above, hope you enjoy it. I have really enjoyed mine so far, I've got about 7500 miles on it so far. GS

Old 06-10-2004, 02:30 PM
I have an early '04 with 8500 miles on it. I get 12.9 towing a 5000 pound trailer, 14.8 in city pushing it hard and best highway has been 17.9 on the flat going 75. As far as a payback I bought mine to replace an '01 f-150 5.8 because I wanted better mileage, more torque and a long life truck. I have had zero problems and there is no comparison when towing. Great truck so far. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks for all your input and info.

Yes, I did buy the truck. The pictures are of it sitting in my driveway. If you click on the link below the pictures it should show the window sticker.

Here was my justification. Don't get me wrong, it WILL cost me more money, but I'm trying to make a good excuse to have a big nasty diesel.

I drive approximately 30k mi/year and got 10mi/gal nearly all of the time out of the 2003 F250 reg cab 2 wheel drive XL 5.4L w/3.73's . I suppose its due to pulling a trailer 75% of the time and not having a light foot. On the hwy, the best I ever got was 13mpg. Average hwy was 12mpg, city 10mpg and 8mpg w/ trailer. I bought it with 10k on it and traded it in with 28k on it (only had it 8 months), so I don't think age/maintenance could be considered as a factor for fuel economy.

The diesel is ~$5,000 and the auto tranny is about $500 more than an auto in a gas engine. So I spent about $5500 more over a similar rig with a 5.4L or about $105/month.

At 30k mi/year, if I get 14 mi/gal average out of the diesel, with an average cost of $1.50/gal for fuel, my fuel costs will be about $267/month.

Figuring 10mpg out of the 5.4L at $1.50/gal for fuel, fuel is about $375/month.

Ok, so hopefully, maybe, I'll save the ~$105/month I spent on the diesel on fuel. I don't think my estimates are grossly off, but I suppose its difficult to nail down the difference to an exact figure. As the cost of fuel goes up, the savings will be greater ($1.50/gal seems like a low estimate to me) and I just figured the cost of fuel the same for gas or diesel, but my guess would be that diesel would average cheaper/gal.

I think the numbers could be analized to infinity. So far I figure I'm roughly getting 13 average, pulling a trailer 75% of the time and having fun with the turbo (foot in it all the time). Already I'm getting better milage than before and having a lot more fun. I've yet to get 14mpg average out of the diesel, but I've only got 800mi on it so far, haven't run it far empty on the hwy and can't keep my foot out of it.

As I understand it, maintenance will be more on the diesel, oil changes, fuel filters etc. Of course I've got sales tax to pay on the new vehicle. Insurance is a wash. The diesel will always be worth quite a lot more. I got a lot better interest rate on this truck. I really needed to get a 4x4 before next winter for work, so I would have had to buy something. All the above considerations I don't even care to figure as I really have no way to value them.

The bottom line is I wanted an excuse to have a diesel. Either way, I'll be happily making the payments rather than driving around that 2 wheel drive underpowered XL.

Last edited by spaceman12321; 06-11-2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:26 AM
And at 30K miles a year, that was your only option. Have fun with it!

Old 06-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Congrats. on new ride. Maybe you can update later (in between grins) how u like it.

Good luck...OT

Old 06-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Traded my Lightning in on a 6.0 and love it.

Lightning--------2.13 a gallon 12 MPG (fun factor= 10+++)
F250-------------1.69 a gallon 18 MPG (fun factor= a different kind of 10)

Old 06-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Nosdog2
Lightning--------2.13 a gallon 12 MPG (fun factor= 10+++)
Wow. I never realized the mileage was that low on a Lightning.

My 6.8L gets a little over 12 mixed driving and 14+ highway. I was glad to see gas prices starting to creep back down the last few days.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going 6.0