F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

V10 F250 Crewcab or a 2500 quad cab Ram w/Hemi??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see it as a Ford bashing Cummins troll trying to hijack a thread. Just ignore him and he'll go away. Some parts of the country, diesel is 2 dollars a gallon, and not everybody wants diesel. Dodge had to start offering 100,000 mile warranties on their engines because they tore up so much nobody would touch one without it. Not like they're going to honor their warranty anyway, though. And no, this is not a forum to discuss which truck you like better, this is the F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel forum on the community for late model FORD trucks. Cummins and/or Dodge is not mentioned anywhere there.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
between friends and work I have had the opportunity to drive both of these vehicles. The hemi is good for cruisin and general commuting, but it just doesn't compare to the big Triton V10. gas mileage is obviously a difference, but not significant. To put it in perspective, In the past three years, I have been privledged enough to drive every 1/2, and 3/4 ton truck made by dodge, ford, and Chevy/GMC. With every engine. The Triton V10 does stand out among them all. Not biased, just the truth

Old 05-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting back to the original question / issue, I always say that "torque tows and horsepower hauls ***." Both the Dodge Hemi and the Ford V-10 are similar (relatively poor gas mileage), and different (the Dodge has more peak HP and the Ford has more peak TQ.) Towing the loads you mentioned as infrequently as you mentioned wouldn't tax either powerplant too bad. Heck, I towed a 35' Fountain powerboat (around 12,000# on the trailer) with my 5.4 liter once and it wasn't bad at all.

Pick your truck for what you do most often, but make sure it's capable of what you need once in a while. The best test? A good back to back test drive and a few conversations with actual owners. There, can we all be friends now?

Old 05-27-2004, 09:57 PM
I did not bash the fords. I have had plenty of them.I only suggested a diesel because of fuel mileage is much better. I don't care if it is a cummins,a PSD, or a durimax diesel is cheaper to drive.As far as the 100,000 mile warranty cummins is the one that offers it not dodge. the dodge warranty is 7/70.Cummins backs there engines for 5 years or 100,00 miles.I have 2 friends that have PSDs with around 80,000 miles on them. So far this year they put over $3,000 into there engines. Turbos went out oil pumps went out plus a couple other small things.BUT THAT HAPPENS WITH ANY TRUCK. I REPEAT ANY TRUCK IS GONNA BREAK DOWN. I also agree with the person that said the V-10 is a great motor I have driven it several times. I just thought the gas mileage sucked.Diesel is almost 2 dollars a gallon here,but so is gas.I would rather feed my diesel which get 19 mpg.Than I would a gas at 8 or 10 MPG. As I said before I have owned fords and I like fords.But I have had better luck with dodge or chevy. They just held up better for me. And I work my trucks hard 7 days a week.I'm not trying to argue I only said earlier that diesel is cheaper to drive,and maybe test drive one thats all.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Law
Thanks for all the replies...
I've decided that if I go with the gasser, than it will be the V10 from Ford in a 3/4 ton crew.

I actually "have" considered diesel but i'm just so unfamilair with them that i'm a little imtimidated by them.
Came a nano second away from buying a 99 Chevy 3/4ton crew with the 6.5lt turbo
diesel... Sweet truck, but...........

Old 06-02-2004, 01:41 PM
I simply stated a diesel would do the job better and cheaper,Than a gas hog hemi or V-10. I don't care if it is a Cummins,PSD,or Duramax. Diesel is better than gas in a heavy duty truck. Even if you don't tow much the hemi and the V-10 are gas hogs.
How many extra gallons of gas do you have to burn to get past the $6000 initial investment in the diesel?

Old 06-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Law
I am actually looking at used trucks and thats where my dilema begins. The price difference between the diesel powered trucks and the gassers isnt really all that much. This ofcourse depends on the dealer, the mileage, the trim level, the brand of the diesel, etc....

Well, anyway, its now down to the 99 Chevy 3/4 ton crew that I spoke of earlier with the 6.5lt turbo diesel, or the Ford 3/4 ton crew with the V10.

The Chevy is much more plush and gives a much better ride, but that Ford has a much stronger engine even though its a gasser.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by 36fan
How many extra gallons of gas do you have to burn to get past the $6000 initial investment in the diesel?

I agree the diesel is more expensive to purchase. But the F-250 i just got rid of got 6MPG. My diesel gets 18MPG. Thats a 12 MPG increase.The diesel will pay for its self quick,But I put a lot of miles on my trucks. So for some people it might not be worth the extra for the diesel. I just simply stated that if you drive it a lot a diesel is worth thinking about. plus resale value on a diesel is higher even with high miles on it.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by dhouck
I agree the diesel is more expensive to purchase. But the F-250 i just got rid of got 6MPG. My diesel gets 18MPG. Thats a 12 MPG increase.
You have to admit you're basing your opinion on extremes.

Most Superduties with gas engines get alot better than 6mpg with either the V10 or V8. I know alot of guys with Superduties and I don't know anybody that gets 6mpg unless they're towing alot of weight. Most get at least 10mpg. My F250 V10 averages between 11 and 12 and will easily see 14mpg for highway driving at 65mph in OD and 1700/1800rpm.

Most guys with stock diesel Superduties do not get 18mpg for mixed driving. The couple of guys I know get more like 15 to 16 average and 18 highway. The guys I know with Dodge Ram diesels get less mileage than the Ford guys. There's not going to be a "12mpg increase" like you claim for most cases. Get real.

More like a 5mpg increase.

Last edited by Hillhound; 06-03-2004 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:51 PM
I agree for the most part you are not gonna see a 12 MPG increase. But I did my gas V-8 superduty only got 6 all the time. My diesel does get 18. Maybe i was unlucky with my ford. And just got lucky with my diesel.But even with a 5MPG increase if you put a lot of miles on in you will save a lot of money with the diesel.Plus there is less maintance to a diesel

Old 06-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Thats a 12 MPG increase.The diesel will pay for its self quick...
OK Fair enough - now factor in the oil changes. How may gallons of oil does the diesel hold?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against diesels - they definately have their place; however, people that say diesels are cheaper rarely look at the initial investiment and maintenance costs. Most typically just base their statement on better fuel mileage.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also keep in mind with a diesel that you are gonna pi$$ off your neighbours when you fire it up every morning at 6 am and those times you come home late at night.

asideform the performance/fuel efficiency arguements, they are loud as heck. This is more pronounced when towing on the highway and they are revving higher. If you like a quiet ride, diesels are not for you.

Point #2... diesels are not all that cheap. They only pay for themselves if you do high mileage. Yes a diesel uses less fuel than a V10, but it also costs a lot more to buy. You need to calculate how many miles you must drive for the purchase to break even.. that and they are a little more expensive to maintain... oil changes are more expensive etc

Old 06-14-2004, 09:51 PM
In my area diesel is ten cents a gallon cheaper that gas. Also the new dodge diesels are a lot quieter than the old ones. they are still loud but not as bad as the used to be. Inside they are not bad at all. As far as the oil changes my gas trucks needed changed evey 3,000 miles. The book for my diesel says every 5,000 miles. with diesels you don't have spark plugs to replace. Plug wires, coils,Distributor, or distributor cap. Trade in value is better on a diesel. So in some cases diesel is better it depends on how much you drive it. How long you are gonna keep it

Old 06-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by dhouck
One added advantage with cummins they come with a 100,000 mile warranty. I don't think the PSD comes with that good of a warranty

FYI, Navistar and Ford have been doing that for the last 10 years. Since the PSD came out in late 94 they have been offered with a 10yr/100,000 mi warranty like the Cummins engines have. The rest of the trucks have been 36mo/36000mi standard.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
FYI, Navistar and Ford have been doing that for the last 10 years. Since the PSD came out in late 94 they have been offered with a 10yr/100,000 mi warranty like the Cummins engines have. The rest of the trucks have been 36mo/36000mi standard.

My mistake I wasn't sure about the PSD warranty. I know it is a good motor,but it has been a couple years since i had one.

Quick Reply: V10 F250 Crewcab or a 2500 quad cab Ram w/Hemi??