F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

V10 F250 Crewcab or a 2500 quad cab Ram w/Hemi??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also the new dodge diesels are a lot quieter than the old ones. they are still loud but not as bad as the used to be. Inside they are not bad at all. As far as the oil changes my gas trucks needed changed evey 3,000 miles.
Yes, the new Cummins are A LOT quieter than the older ones. I had a client a year or so ago that worked for Cummins, and he was telling me about the "Wendy's (noise) test". They would drive a truck to Wendy's and go through the drive-thru. If they got the order right, the engine passed the 'Wendy's test"

The book for my diesel says every 5,000 miles. with diesels you don't have spark plugs to replace. Plug wires, coils,Distributor, or distributor cap. Trade in value is better on a diesel. So in some cases diesel is better it depends on how much you drive it. How long you are gonna keep it
The manual on my gasser says 5,000 mile oil change intervals, and the plugs, etc... are suppose to be good for 100,000 miles. I would expect trade in to be higher on diesel, since it is a ~$6,000 option.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:40 PM
The book for my 2004 gas van says every 3,000 miles for the oil. Plugs and all that stuff like you said should last up to 100,000 miles. I was just pointing out that the gas is not any cheaper to maintain. because it has parts on it that the diesel does not have.Trade in value on a diesel is higher because they last longer than gas not because it is a 6,000 dollar option. Most people that would see a truck with a gas engine in a lot with 200,000 miles or more on it would run from it,Because they would assume it was on its last leg with that many miles on it. But a diesel with that many miles on it most people would buy it and not blink an eye. Because a diesel holds up longer,But it depends on how much you drive and how long you are gonna keep the truck. For some people gas is the better choice for others diesel is the best choice.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:23 AM
I haven't missed a thing...The same diesel Vs. gasser..

My vote for diesel...Got the wife one now...

Old 06-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Dodge does not put the V-10 in their trucks anymore, only the Viper and the SRT-10.

Why not get an SD diesel? The 6.0 is awesome. I had an 00 V-10 SC,LB, and I traded it for an 04 F-250 6.0, TorqShift,CC,SB. It is amazing!!!!

Old 06-23-2004, 02:40 PM
If you've decided on a gas truck there is no comparison. Get the Ford V10. More torque is what you need, and the V10 has more.
It's not that bad on milage, but if you were worried about milage you wouldn't be buying a F250 gas either. My friend had the V10 in his class A motorhome. It's amazing how well that thing gets up and moves.

The Crew cab on the Ford is much nicer than the Dodge. No comparison.

IMHO the only reason to look at Dodge would be for the Cummins. Even then the rest of the truck is still a Dodge.

-jeff b.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:35 PM
I saw OP is looking at the gassers, but I wanted to jump in on the diesel debate.

When I bought my 6.0 I looked at the new cummins. I drove both and thought that the 6.0 was a little quicker, but the cummins had more down low. I was impressed with how much quieter the new cummins are compared to the old ones. I could buy a cummins for about the same price that I could A-plan a 6.0, But (and I didn't negotiate on trade in, just cash price), I presume I got more for my Ford trade in than I could have at a dodge dealer.

In the end, I felt the cummins was a little slower overall, didn't like the interior as well, and couldn't bring myself to turn my back on Ford, so I went with the 6.0.

The other day, my buddy said he was interested in a diesel and would consider a Dodge, largely because I said I was impressed with their improvements. We went and test drove one. After being use to my 6.0 for a month or so and going back to drive a cummins, I was very pleased that I went with the 6.0. The cummins has slightly more power for about the first 20 feet, but when the turbo kicks in on the 6.0 there is no comparison.

Anyhow, going from a gasser to a diesel, there is no comparison. I would strongly suggest you look at them and rough out the cost difference considering 5mpg difference in fuel economy and trade in value. If its close to worth it, go with the diesel. You won't be sorry if you can justify it.

Quick Reply: V10 F250 Crewcab or a 2500 quad cab Ram w/Hemi??