F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Anybody heard about the new diesel motor in 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anybody heard about the new diesel motor in 2005?

I heard a rumor from a family member who is a big wig at Ford. In 2005 a new diesel maybe a 6.9 or 6.6 should be an option. IT will be a twin turbo 500hp motor. It has just finished all of its R/D work we should be seeing it soon.

Old 06-19-2004, 03:46 PM
I saw something like this on another site, www.thedieselstop.com

There was some talk about a different motor coming out in 2005. You might check over there.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:42 PM
The motor for 05 will be the 6.0L. Ford and Navistar have dumped too much money into developing the engine so they wil run it for at least a few more years before anything is done about changing it. Besides, the 05 has been released more or less and no where have I ever seen any mention of anything other than a 6.0L aside from useless rumors on message boards.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:02 PM
The 05 ordering guide from Ford has the 6.0 listed as the diesel that is available, but it looks like it has a torque rating of 570 instead of 550, so they've upgraded a bit. All that I have heard, and it's all speculation, but I have heard that there will be a 6.4L twin-turbo diesel in the 2007 model year. Also, I have heard about the new gas motor, the Hurricane, but I haven't seen anything definite from anywhere.

Old 06-22-2004, 06:18 PM
this may be an option for F450's and up (550, 650, 750)

I dont think Ford has a small tranny (for 350 and smaller) that can handle that much torque ( assuming the 6.4 is 6.0 stroked out)

Old 06-22-2004, 07:03 PM
F450s and 550s use the same engine/tranny that the 250 and 350 uses. Theres no change in that until you hit the medium duty trucks (650 and 750). The 450 and 550 do get a much larger rear axle and frame though. I would say that if Ford and Navistar have really developed a new engine they have done a spectacular job of keeping it under wraps as its only been recently that there has even a rumor that there might be such a beast way out on the horizon. IMO the earliest you MIGHT see a new engine would be 2007, but I wouldn't hold my breath to see it. When you think about the amount of money invested by both Navistar and Ford in the development of the 6.0L they won't be very willing to scrap the motor just yet. Take a look at how long the old 6.9L and 7.3L were run before they were retired. If you want to get technical the 6.9L was never retired, just revamped. Heck look at how long it took before even that was done. In the late 80s/early 90s when the 7.3L came out it was just a bored/stroked 6.9L. Then in 93/early 94 it was offered in both a NA IDI and a turbo IDI. It took Ford roughly 6+ years to even add a turbo to the engine. Then late 94 the PSD came into being. At this point the injection system was changed from mechanical to hydraulic by way of the HPOP. From there on each year was small tweaks here and there to deal with emissions and power increases. Now as I've heard through the grapevine the 7.3L is dead and gone and the new 6.0L is a whole new animal unlike the way the old 6.9L and 7.3L were similar. Given the history of this its VERY unlikely that the 6.0L will get a major rework this early in its life. Now as far as people saying that its going to be scraped due to all the problems its had just won't happen either. The majority of the problems have been resolved already and the 6.0L is starting to emerge as a strong running engine. The 7.3L in its infancy had some growing pains as well, but look where it ended up. It would make no business sense whatsoever for Ford to spend alot of money on development of an engine (though this did recently happen with the 6cyl diesel destined for the F150s, but that was due to emissions problems) and then another pot full of money spent on trying to resolve the problems of the early engines only to spend another pot full of money so soon on another new engine that may develop the same string of problems. Ford will most likely continue producingand using the 6.0L similar to the way they did the 7.3L (slight tweaks to help emissions and power increases) for at least a few more years minimum to help recoup some of the costs they incurred on the development and troubleshooting thats been invested thus far. Now when we start to get to the end of the decade I wouldn't be suprised to see news of this new engine coming out. Also you think of the amount of time spent trying to engineer anew engine design its not a 2 year deal. This is the other reason I'd say that its not going to be till MAYBE the redesign in 2007 but may be later. I work in Product Development for John Deere Seeding Group and I have seen how long it takes to come out with a whole new design of equipment. I work spcifically with the testing phase and a planter that recently came out just got a few features added that were available on smaller models so alot of the hard work was already done. Testing still took over 1 year to complete. Now Ford may suprise everyone and come out with this, but based on the processes invloved and their previous track record I wouldn't plan on it being anytime very soon. Definetly not for the 05 year though.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:28 PM
From everything that I read, the 05 SD motor is gonna be the 6.0. It is still gonna be 325 HP, and the torque is going from 560 pound feet of torque to 570.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:43 AM
A 6.4 ltr is rumored to have been in the works for a while. However, it's supposedly for the 2007 model year and total revamp.

Power???? Who knows what everyone will have to be doing then.

FYI, the 6.0 is going to be 570 lbs of torque vs. 560 lbs currently. Can't figure out why. Anyone that really gives 2 flips about increasing torque will be over 700 lbs by loading a program or plugging in a module. Anyone that cares about published numbers will be in commercial flipping burgers talking smack about the HP and Torque numbers their new mini-van has.

That thing got a HEMI? NO! SWEET!!!!

Quick Reply: Anybody heard about the new diesel motor in 2005?