F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

powerstroke vs cummings

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powerstroke vs cummings

I am debating on the two. I am first going into the format of the two. v8 vs inline 6. Anybody please help me out and get the facts straight? I am comparing to buy a new truck.

and since this is a ford site please don't favor the ford. just comparing engines

-garrett

Old 07-02-2004, 12:13 AM
CUMMINS!!!!!!! Theres no G at the end unless you're doing something else

Anyways if you're going new you're looking at the 600 CTD or th 6.0L PSD. Both are having their issues since they're new motors. The PSD has a slight advanatge in that its been out for a year now so they have a small jump on getting problems worked out. Now Cummins being an inline engine has durability on its side compared to a V series engine. Both engines have very high potential to make very good HP. Now mileage on both engines is all over the board. The Cummins in the older 12V and 24V could get upwards of low 20s unloaded where te PSD was able to make the high teens unloaded, though this has changed since the new engines came out. Both seem to be close to the same in this respect now. If I was to buy a new diesel now I'd probably look to the 6.0L since the first year bugs are getting worked out and the CTD is still going through getting the bugs out just like the PSD did already. Once they've got it figured out both will be strong runners and it will come down to which truck features you like.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PSD has a much broader powerband than the Cummins, but the Cummins has more down low. If you're ever going to drive this truck on the highway, you'll benefit more from the V8 than you would from the I6 because of the powerband. In tests, the Cummins is faster off of the line than the PSD, but the PSD catches it, even when they both have trailers over 13,000 pounds. The Cummins makes more power at the crank, but the Ford has less parasitic drivetrain loss, so the useable power is going to be close to the same, but the PSD will be in it's powerband longer, and it can rev higher if needed because it is a V configuration instead of an inline. The PSD also has glow plugs, something the Cummins doesn't have, making the PSD easier to start in the colder weather than a Cummins. The Cummins is a very loud motor traditionally, and unless something is fixed this year, I don't think it's any different. Mileage is about the same for both of them, maybe the Cummins will get 1-2 mpg better, but that all depends on how you drive and what you do with your truck. Both have 100,000 mile warranties, but the PSD comes in a much better truck with a much better drivetrain than the Cummins. Are you buying new or used? The only Cummins even worth considering that is any competition at all to the PSD is the new Cummins 600, and it's relatively untested, as it has only been out for 8 or 9 months. The 7.3 would be the bulletproof way to go, but the bugs are worked out of the 6.0 now, only losing it's pilot injection, but not any mileage or power. The Dodges tend to be made cheaper than the Fords, with more rattles and components failing, this is why the loyalty rating of customers is way higher for Ford than it is for Dodge. Drive both, test them both for what you want to use your truck for, and get the one that feels better. I think the Ford will sell itself when you think about the ride quality and the quality of the components!

Old 07-02-2004, 12:17 AM
I test drove a cummins a month ago when I was looking for a truck. I was impressed with its down low power, but never got a chance to get in it real hard at that time due to traffic. I ended up going with the power stroke largely from Ford loyalty, and I could A-plan one.

After having my new power stroke a month, I mentioned to a good friend that I'd looked at a Dodge and would have seriously considered one. He is looking for a diesel, so we went and drove a Dodge again. After having my powerstroke for a month I was much more familiar with its performance, ride, features etc.

So we went to drive the Dodge and this is what I observed. The truck had better power under ~1700RPM, slightly better ride and smaller turning radius (front coil spring suspension). As quiet if not quieter inside the cab. Towing mirrors were tolerable.

What I like better about my powerstroke: better towing mirrors, interior comfort, far better engine performance above 1700 RPM, better gearing in the 5spd automatic. When you put your foot in it, the powerstroke never drops below its power band (keeps RPM's in the 3k+ range) and it NEVER runs out of breath in the higher RPM's. The Dodge seemed to be starving for air.

I could have bought a Dodge for slightly more than I "A"-planned a power stroke for. Dodge sticker is slightly less for the features, for example, keyless is included. Lighting, however, is extra, but is included in the Ford security/keyless group. Dodge was willing to come down quite a bit from sticker, with a little arm twisting and at the end of the month (better time to buy). I never had to do much arm twisting with the Ford, but I think they would be more difficult to get down as far as Dodge did.

In the end, I'm much happier that I bought the powerstroke after driving the Dodge again. It was nice, but the powerstroke would leave it in the dust. Overall I'm more comfertable with the Ford interior and liked the exterior of both trucks and the appeal of something different (a Dodge). For me, there was nothing so lacking in the powerstroke, or so beneficial in the cummins to swing me to buy one.

If I were you, I would wait for the '05 powerstroke with the bigger brakes, new front facia and front coil spring suspension with a better ride and tighter turning radius. That would pretty much eliminate any reason for me to buy a Dodge.

I really think I gave Dodge a fair and honest drive, but liked the powerstroke much better. I would have been sick when I was staring at Ford tail lights while sitting in a cummins.

Last edited by spaceman12321; 07-02-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
CUMMINS!!!!!!! Now Cummins being an inline engine has durability on its side compared to a V series engine.
According to International's website, over 95% of all PSD sold are still on the road today. The PSD owns the Cummins in durability.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Pickup Man,

The new cummins are surprisingly very quiet compared to the tractor sounding older cummins.

You are correct, they have a much narrower power band. What makes it more noticable is the 4spd auto compared to the Ford 5spd auto. Diesels in general have a narrower usable RPM range, even though the Ford is broader than the Dodge.

I think the wider power band, in conjunction with the 5spd is a great combination. The engine runs in a tighter, more powerful range.

Dodge makes a lot of power, they just don't use it all. Remember, its not all about power, its how you apply it.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:12 AM
I like the ford body and everything. I like the dodge styling but when you go close to it it is VERY cheap. cheap interior cheap everything. but I am just concered about the engines right now. so you say cummins gets better fuel mpg and more power at the crank but looses a lot through the drive train so on a chassis dyno the ford would dyno better.? hmm... I can get a 4x4 4 door dodge for 30k top of the line. top of the line ford 350 same thing for 32k. hmm not that much different. I currently have a 2000 excurion and the interior is ehhh not bad. switches are falling off and everything it has the v10 with 70k and no prolblems yet but it isn't enough power since I am getting a 45 for fifth wheeler trailer but anyway. I like the super duty ford but one thing I didn't like is when I test drove it the mpg guage did read 7 mpg which I didn't like at all and my v10 excursion gets 13 mpg on an average.

will that get better or no?

thanks for the help so far
-garrett

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Someone needed to reset the mpg gauge. Mine is pretty close to accurate but they always seem to be off some. I bought an 04 Super Duty CC 4wd back in February. I'm getting about 19 mpg on the highway and about 14-15 with a trailer behind it. Of course, your driving habits will effect it. I love the powerstoke and haven't had any complaints with it so far. GS

Old 07-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by wheelgunner
Someone needed to reset the mpg gauge. Mine is pretty close to accurate but they always seem to be off some. I bought an 04 Super Duty CC 4wd back in February. I'm getting about 19 mpg on the highway and about 14-15 with a trailer behind it. Of course, your driving habits will effect it. I love the powerstoke and haven't had any complaints with it so far. GS
19 mpg huh not bad. How about a 2x4 350 dually?

-garrett

Old 07-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Pickup Man
According to International's website, over 95% of all PSD sold are still on the road today. The PSD owns the Cummins in durability.

Cummins can probably boast similar numbers so I wouldn't say the PSD OWNS Cummins in reliability. I like both engines, but I'm more of a fan of the inline design. Now I've seen a heard of quite a few people who tore down their Cummins to still be able to see the original honing marks on the cylinder walls after 300k. I don't think the PSD can say that. My biggest gripe with the V engine design is that you loose hp through increased friction and loose some durability due to the pistion not riding on the side of the cylinder. If you read over on TDR you'll see alot of trucks with 300k+, but over on TDS I don't see quite as many with 300k but alot are over 200k and will most likely make the 300k mark. Anyways durability is going to be very good between the 2, but if I was to give the advantage to one I'd give it to the Cummins just for the engine design.

I was looking at buying a CTD F350 a few months back and I was very impressed with the power it made. It used a 96 Ram driveline (engine/tranny/transfer) so it was the 12V with the larger injection pump. The pump had been turned up some but not to the max. It had very good low end power, but on the interstate it shined. I was going about 60mph and floored it. It pinned you back in the seat and shot up to over 85mph like nothing before I could back out of it. Now I also recently drove a 99 PSD that I'll most likely buy but at lower speeds it seemed to move quite a bit faster than the CTD did and I didn't get a chance to see what it would do at speed but others i've driven before have been good.

Bottom line I wouldn't worry too much about the overall durability of the engines if the new ones follow trends. One advantage that the new 6.0L has over the 600 is that it uses a variable rate turbo so there is next to no lag. The 600 does use a common rail fuel system so it gets an advantage there. From what I've heard the 600 had some turbo issues, but the 6.0L had some computer problems that are now getting worked out.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
loose some durability due to the pistion not riding on the side of the cylinder.

You actually believe that?

A piston coming down on the power stroke exerts a lot more side ways force than a piston riding up and down in a V engine.

If you mic any used engine block-V or inline- the cylinder bore will always be oval.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:19 PM
thanks for the posts

keep them going

-garrett

Old 07-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I would have to say go with the cummins. I have a 2004 Dodge with a cummins and a 6 speed. I have had both the cummins and the PSD. The PSD was a decent motor,but my cummins has much more power. Better fuel mileage tows better. It is just a better all around truck.I just got rid of a 2001 ford it was lazy road like a tank. It was in the garage atleast once a month. I didn't have any good luck with that truck,but any company makes a lemon once in a while.My dodge rides better handles better and for power and duribility I would put it along side any PSD and I would beat it. I don't know what a cummins and an automatic are like. But the cummins and six speed combination is fansastic.

Old 07-04-2004, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Pickup Man [/ The PSD also has glow plugs, something the Cummins doesn't have, making the PSD easier to start in the colder weather than a Cummins. The Cummins is a very loud motor traditionally,

The cummins also has glow plugs atleast my 97 does. Even when it was 20 below zero I had no trouble starting it. And I never plug it in. I think my 2004 has glow plugs in it atleast it has a glow plug light in th dash. It is also much much quieter than my 97. From the cab I can barely hear it running

Old 07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
I stand corrected on the glow plugs, then. I don't think that Cummins' numbers are anywhere close to the durability factor of the PSD, though. I have worked on too many that were junked out in the end to believe that 90-95% are still running. The Cummins is a good engine for stump-pulling and things of that nature where you need most of your power down low, but for towing any distance and all-around truck, the Ford wins.

Quick Reply: powerstroke vs cummings