F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Exhaust

My Dad has a '93 F-350 7.3 litre Diesel. He took it in to a shop to get a new muffler put on the truck. When he asked the guy if there was anything that could be put on the truck to give it more sound and make it a little louder (exhaust wise) the guy told him "No, the only way to make it louder would be to go straight pipe, no muffler." Now my truck is not a diesel and its only a 6 banger 4.2. but when I had my cat-backs put on with one muffler, dual pipes out the back, the sound difference was amazing. Is there any type of muffler that can get put on a Diesel that would make it a little louder. I'd appreciate the input.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Thumbs up Straight Pipe

You can take the muffler off of 7.3 Powerstroke without it getting too loud. Now since it is a 93 I am guessing it is not a Turbodiesel so I think straight pipes would be much louder. I seem to recall hearing one once and it was LOUD.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:37 PM
flowmaster 40-SR-Race

Old 09-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like the loss of backpressure would hurt your performance. I don't know the deal with the diesels, though, I'm not currently talking about something that I know anything about.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:27 PM
There are a lot of straight piped diesels around. Many you wouldn't even know are straight piped.

FYI, therea re alot of after market diesel exhaust systems out there too....

Oh, and the back pressure issue is not the same issue it is for gassers.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Does loss of backpressure help or hurt the power?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Pickup Man
Does loss of backpressure help or hurt the power?
Turbo Diesel doesn'tr need back pressure like a gas engine does. With the 6.0 there is a EBP (exhaust back pressure) sensor so changing it with exhaust may change the way it behaves a little. I noticed power coming on a little quicker and also smoother where stock it would take longer to come on and then snap harder.

The primary thing it does (besides sound cool ) is reduce EGT's!

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Well given its a 93 its most likely a NA 7.3L so yes backpressure will play an issue due to the lack of a turbo. It will act similar to a gas engine in this respect.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:35 PM
The way I understand it, though, if a turbo diesel has straight pipes, it makes the turbo automatically stay spooled more to compensate for the loss of back pressure. Am I right?

Old 09-17-2004, 08:42 PM
The turbo itself provides alot of the backpressure in the system so opening up the exhaust on a turbo system does not cause ill effects.......to a point. When you open up the exhaust it allows the gases to flow more freely out of the system allowing the turbo to spool up faster since it doesn't have to try and force the gases out any longer. Now if you go too large it may have ill effects. For example a 4" system on a stock PSD is good, but going to a 5" may lead to a loss of low end power. What happens is the pipe is too big and causes something of a turbulence inside the exhaust system. At low rpms the turbo is still trying to spool up and since it has to fight the exhaust again you'll lose a little bit of power. If you've gone to aftermarket turbo setups these will make alot more boost making the 5" work more like the 4" system. So really all the open exhaust does is allow the turbo to spool up faster, not staying spooled all the time.

Old 09-18-2004, 04:36 AM
Thanks. That's much better than what I had!

Quick Reply: Diesel Exhaust