F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

New Diesel Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Diesel Owner

Well I just signed the papers to bring home a 2002 F350 7.3 Crew Cab. This will be the first diesel I've ever owned, and I'm wondering if there is anything in particular I need to be prepared for. The truck will be used to pull a stock trailer occaisionally (already has the gooseneck ball in it). What should I be ready for in terms of maintenance, etc etc?
Thanks!

Old 09-03-2004, 08:28 PM
From what I understand, change your coolant and oil regularly, and you won't have to worry about anything for a very long time.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:31 PM
For the maintenance side you will want to do a few things specific to diesel engines. If you're keeping the green coolant you need to monitor the SCA (supplemental coolant addative) level in the coolant. This is done with a test kit you can get at an International/Navistar dealer. If you want you can opt for a very complete flush and switch over to gold coolant. Most go with Zerex brand for this and this does not require SCAs to be added and is good for 100,000 mi. For the oil you have a couple options. You can do a standard change interval at 5000 mi @ 14qts/change. This gets somewhat expensive. The other option you have is to install an oil bypass filtration system. If you buy the premade kit for about $100-180 or do a DIY kit for about $50. This will let you run longer change intervals, but will require you to do an oil analysis at regular intervals to make sure the oil is not breaking down between changes. This though would be a good idea no matter the change interval. Those are the main things but there are some other things that will assist in maintenance. The first is a coolant filter. This will help pull out all the silicates that are in the SCAs and will dramatically increase water pump life as the rest of the coolant. Thse are about $60 for the premade kit. The other this is a trans bypass filter. This will help stop any foreign material that may try and make its way into the trans pump if the TC lets go. It will also help increase fluid life as well as reduce temps. This last thing is only in the case of auto transmissions. But those things will help your truck live a longer and healthier life.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:07 PM
What is the standard length between oil changes on a diesel? I go 3000 with my 5.4 right now.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
You can do a standard change interval at 5000 mi @ 14qts/change.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:50 PM
I see you got some good advice...But how well do you know the rig was looked after before you bought it ??

Good luck at any rate with your rig...

Old 09-04-2004, 12:03 AM
I actually know the guy who had the truck before I did. He leases through Ford so he takes pretty decent care of them. I've actually seen this truck since he first bought it so I've been able to keep tabs on it.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
I am on the verge of ordering a 2005 F250 6.0L KR 4X4 the only thing holding me is not owning a diesel before. What should I expect for maintainance. What things should I look out for. What things should be updated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Quick Reply: New Diesel Owner